Acustica releases Cream - a dreamware approach to console modelling!

fabio.migliorati

Acustica releases Cream - a dreamware approach to console modelling!

Post by fabio.migliorati » Wed May 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Product: Cream
Developer: Acustica Audio
Price (MSRP): €199.00
Plug-in Format(s): VST2, AU, AAX
System Requirements (Windows): Windows 7 - Windows 10
System Requirements (OSX): OSX 10.8 - OSX 10.13
CREAM Commercial web-page: Cream (Pre-order) - Acustica Audio
CREAM Trial web-page: Cream (Trial) - Acustica Audio

CREAM is a VST/AAX/AU bundle composed of several modules based on an iconic series of hand-built British vacuum tube and transistor-based solid-state hardware made between the late '50s to the early '70s.
Cream was born from a specific necessity: we wanted to offer to our customers a product that contains what we believe is a number of legendary devices, with a strong vintage character that should not be missing in the equipment list of any recording studio worth its name and fame. Due to the rare historic topology and components used in the original hardware, Cream offers a unique tone that stands out from any other designs.

Specifically, it includes emulations of the following consoles and units:

1) A Vintage British transistor-based solid-state recording and mixing console – version MK2 (1970)
2) A Vintage British transistor-based solid-state recording and mixing console – version MK4 (1970)
3) A Vintage British tube compressor (1960)
4) A 'Homebrew' analog EQ section built by SOUNDROPS (SteDal) based on a original 60s valve desk circuit)
5) A Vintage British Tape Recorder (1960 – also known as the "Green Machine")
6) A Vintage valve Tape Recorder made in the UK (1967)

Cream is the first of a three plug-in series, each embodying a volume of Dante's Divine Comedy according to the vision of Acustica.
Welcome to the first Cantica .. the 'Cream Inferno'.
Try not to lose sight of the right path on your way, and be careful not to burn yourself.

What's new?

1) For the first time ever, Acustica is proud to introduce a next-generation plugin which recreates ALL the channels of an ultra-rare vintage console in its entirety, painstakingly reproducing their sonic imprint and subtle differences, giving you the utmost control and sonic versatility, like never before. Cream is a major work that allowed us to create the most advanced and complete Acqua Effect to date, that transcends mere modeling and pushes the boundaries of authentic analog in the box once more.
2) We worked very hard to deliver you a tool that is able to recreate the authentic sound of some of the most legendary studio units ever made in the history of music. We can proudly say: this day has finally arrived!

But there is more good news. By purchasing Cream you qualify for a special secret discount too!

And would you want to know more about Modula and some of our future projects? Want to be one of the first to discover how audio industry will be changed forever?
Then meet us May 24-26 at the AES Convention 2018 in Milan - Italy

DETAILS

CREAM channel strip equipped with 39 preamp emulations divided in three different categories (Line, Mic and Tube), a four-stage multi-model EQ featuring Bass, Treble, Presence and 'Magic' bands, and a compressor section switchable between a solid-state processor (included in the 1970 console) and a vacuum tube outboard model. As with other similar releases, we offer to our customers a versatile and complete bundle consisting of a powerful channel-strip plus 3 separate plug-ins for each of its pre-amp, EQ and compressor sections. Each stand-alone plug-in contains the same features included in the strip, and in many cases it also offers some useful extras. The four plug-ins are named:

• CREAM Channel-strip
• CREAM PRE (Preamps standalone module)
• CREAM EQ (Equalizer standalone module)
• CREAM COMP (Compressor standalone module)

For each plug-in included in Cream suite there is a "Standard" version and an alternative "ZL*" version which operates at * zero latency, at the cost of extra processing resources, it is therefore most suitable to use when tracking.

Cream is using the latest Acustica Core 12 engine. Core 12 represents a new technological advancement by Acustica:

• Upgraded SASM (Symmetric & Asymmetric Saturation Modeling) high performance saturation algorithm;
• Introduction of a new post-production sample de-noising tech for cleaner deconvolved impulses called STT (Super transient technology);
• Full compatibility with Client/Server architecture integrated by default in Acqua plugins;
• Engine optimization introducing a new highly efficient algorithm. This innovative technique is applied to all the deconvolved impulses for further de-noise processing and subsequent elimination of any incorrect low-level behavior (including the so-called "echo bug").

Core 12 allows performance improvements for each plug-in of the Acqua Effects series, while at the same time preserving all the features already supported in previous CORE upgrades.

CREAM CHANNEL-STRIP: full channel strip with 4 bands of EQ, 2 compressors and a preamp section.
Preamp section:
• 24 x line input to group bus out transistor-based solid-state '70s channel paths (LINE).
• 12 x mic input to group bus out transistor-based solid-state '70s channel paths (MIC).
• 3 x vintage tape recorder emulations (TUBE).
• Bypass button (OFF).
EQs section:
• Magic band: Bass Lift with fixed gain of +10dB at 20Hz (B-A), continuous loudness control with ±10dB of gain and centre frequency at 1kHz (L-A), High-shelf models 1, 2 & 3 (1-A, 2-A & 3-A), High-Pass filter with selectable cut-off frequencies of 75, 150, 300, 600 and 1200 Hz (H-B).
• Bass band: low-shelf EQ with with ±10dB of gain and selectable cut-off frequency of 50, 100 and 200 Hz (L-A), bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain at 100 Hz (L-B), High-Pass filter with selectable cut-off frequencies of 75, 150, 300, 600 and 1200 Hz (H-B).
• Presence band: bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 2.7, 3.5, 5, 8, 10, 12 kHz (P-A), bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 0.5, 0.8, 1.2, 1.8, 2.8, 4.2, 6.5, 10 kHz (P-B).
• Treble band: Presence band: bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 2.7, 3.5, 5, 8, 10, 12 kHz (P-A), high-shelf EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 2.5, 5, 10 kHz (S-A), bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 0.5, 0.8, 1.2, 1.8, 2.8, 4.2, 6.5, 10 kHz (P-B).
• Bypass button (OFF).
Compressors section:
• Compression Types: solid-stage Zener type (model B), vacuum tube veri-mu (model C).
• Threshold (Hold): from -20dB to 0dB.
• Release (Recovery): Slow to Fast.
• Compressor Model Switch: off, model B, model C.
• Makeup Gain: from 0dB to 24dB.
• Adjustable Attack Shape (SHMOD): from 0 to 4 (2 as in hardware). SHMod, an adjustable attack behavior shape control that allows to fine-tune and 'scew' the attack shape.
• Input Trim: from -10dB to 10dB. This function allows for a "one knob" internal gain staging control by automatically linking input and output gain stages with an inverse law.
• Gain reduction meter: compressor gain reduction meter with up to 30dB of range.
Other controls:
• Input Trim: from -10dB to 10dB. This function allows for a "one knob" internal gain staging control by automatically linking input and output gain stages with an inverse law.
• Output Gain: from -10dB to 10dB.
• Meters: input and output meters.

CREAM PRE: Preamp module with 40 different circuit color models
• 24 x line input to group bus out transistor-based solid-state '70s channel paths (LINE).
• 12 x mic input to group bus out transistor-based solid-state '70s channel paths (MIC).
• 2 x vintage tape recorder emulations - with and without emphasis (TUBE).
• 1 x vintage tape recorder emulation (TUBE2).
• 1 x vintage vacuum tube compressor emulation (C).
• Bypass button (OFF).

CREAM EQ: a four-stage multi-model EQ featuring Bass, Treble, Presence and 'Magic' bands.
• Magic band: Bass Lift with fixed gain of +10dB at 20Hz (B-A), continuous loudness control with ±10dB of gain and centre frequency at 1kHz (L-A), High-shelf models 1, 2, 3 (1-A, 2-A, 3-A), High-Pass filter with selectable cut-off frequencies of 75, 150, 300, 600 and 1200 Hz (H-B).
• Bass band: low-shelf EQ with with ±10dB of gain and selectable cut-off frequency of 50, 100 and 200 Hz (L-A), bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain at 100 Hz (L-B), High-Pass filter with selectable cut-off frequencies of 75, 150, 300, 600 and 1200 Hz (H-B).
• Presence band: bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 2.7, 3.5, 5, 8, 10, 12 kHz (P-A), bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 0.5, 0.8, 1.2, 1.8, 2.8, 4.2, 6.5, 10 kHz (P-B).
• Treble band: Presence band: bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 2.7, 3.5, 5, 8, 10, 12 kHz (P-A), high-shelf EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 2.5, 5, 10 kHz (S-A), bell curve EQ with ±10dB of gain and selectable frequencies of 0.5, 0.8, 1.2, 1.8, 2.8, 4.2, 6.5, 10 kHz (P-B).
• EQ band bypass (OFF).
• Input Gain: from -10dB to 10dB.

CREAM COMP: Single band compressor with two models
• Compression Types: solid-stage Zener type (model B), vacuum tube vari-mu (model C).
• Threshold (Hold): from -20dB to 0dB.
• Release (Recovery): Slow to Fast.
• Compressor Model Switch: off, model B, model C.
• Makeup Gain: from 0dB to 24dB.
• Adjustable Attack Shape (SHMOD): from 0 to 4 (2 as in hardware). SHMod, an adjustable attack behavior shape control that allows to fine-tune and 'scew' the attack shape.
• Gain reduction meter: compressor gain reduction meter with up to 30dB of range.
• Side-chain HPF (FILTER): variable IIR high-pass filter varying from OFF to 250 Hz.
• Vintage vacuum tube compressor circuit distortion emulation (PREAMPLIFIER).
• External side-chain signal enable (EXTERNAL INPUT).
• Dry/Wet Mix for parallel compression (MIX): from 0 to 100%.

Licensing:
• Challenge-response authorization system allowing activation for two computers per license.
• The trial version is fully functional for a duration of four weeks. Trial license allows the activation of two computers per license.

Formats supported:

• Support operation systems: macOS and Windows.
• Supported plug-in formats: VST2, AAX, and AU.
• Supported architectures: 32 and 64-bits.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY:
• CREAM commercial version: €199.00. Available as a digital download immediately after payment. Special pre-sale price at €169.15 (15%OFF) for the first four weeks after release.
Cream commercial page: http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/cream
• CREAM Trial version: free 4 week test license. Available as a digital download immediately after €0.00 payment.
Cream trial page: http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/pro ... ream-trial

DelaHostia
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Acustica releases Cream - a dreamware approach to console modelling!

Post by DelaHostia » Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi there!!

Instant buy for me!! :D Awesome release, as always... ;)
Just one thing: What about the channel strip format in vst for windows format? I can't see it in my folder. :?:

corbobilly
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by corbobilly » Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 am

You're lucky: the demo version don't work fine, at home in AU or VST version .
He asks me to authorize the product !

Should I also send the product computer identification, in demo version ?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Thu May 03, 2018 5:48 am

You have to authorize it
Are you using aquarius?

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Thu May 03, 2018 7:42 am

So by inserting Cream and using the Tube preamp the phase of the channel is getting flipped. Is this intentional?

I find it always problematic when this happens especially then when you don't use a plugin in each single channel on a Mix. If using troughout the whole Mix then it would be ok. But I think, even if the original Hardware does this, in times of digital recreation it would be better to avoid such things. Or am I the only one thinking in this way?

Anyway great sound! Will dig through the demo in the next days.

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Thu May 03, 2018 9:09 am

i've been using the curve bender and zener for years, among other gears from the same or similar series. i've never been impressed with any software emulation of them until last night.

don't call it cream. call it dream, for it just came true to me.

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Thu May 03, 2018 10:05 am

robschroeder wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:42 am
So by inserting Cream and using the Tube preamp the phase of the channel is getting flipped. Is this intentional?

I find it always problematic when this happens especially then when you don't use a plugin in each single channel on a Mix. If using troughout the whole Mix then it would be ok. But I think, even if the original Hardware does this, in times of digital recreation it would be better to avoid such things. Or am I the only one thinking in this way?

Rob I haven't had time to try Cream yet.
Was the phase issue you reported present in the strip and the stand alone pre-amp ?
Also, what DAW and OS are you using please ?
Thanks

AcusticaPress
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by AcusticaPress » Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 am

Beatworld wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:05 am
robschroeder wrote:

Rob I haven't had time to try Cream yet.
Was the phase issue you reported present in the strip and the stand alone pre-amp ?
Thanks
Hey guys, we'll check this. It could be a mistake. Thanks for reporting it.

BTW, Beatworld, replying here to your question on compressor models and labelling ("One question: why does the standalone compressor show Off A C ?
I understand there are 2 compressors models - B and C, as shown in the strip and explained in the manual ? What is A ?"), I just updated to the latest version and here on Mac OS it appears correct now.
Acustica Press
Acusticaudio SRL
www.acustica-audio.com

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am

Beatworld wrote:
Thanks
It's in the strip and in the stand alone pre-amp, both selecting the "Tube" model. All other models are fine. Also "Tube 2" on pre-amp is fine.
I use Studio One v3 and Ableton Live 10 it appears in both on Windows 10 Pro.

I have also reported this to the support.

Cheers,
R0b

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 am

robschroeder wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am
Beatworld wrote:
Thanks
It's in the strip and in the stand alone pre-amp, both selecting the "Tube" model. All other models are fine. Also "Tube 2" on pre-amp is fine.
I use Studio One v3 and Ableton Live 10 it appears in both on Windows 10 Pro.

I have also reported this to the support.

Cheers,
R0b
Great, thanks for that update info.

regards

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Thu May 03, 2018 11:29 am

AcusticaPress wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 am
BTW, Beatworld, replying here to your question on compressor models and labelling ("One question: why does the standalone compressor show Off A C ?
I understand there are 2 compressors models - B and C, as shown in the strip and explained in the manual ? What is A ?"), I just updated to the latest version and here on Mac OS it appears correct now.
Thanks AP.
I haven't tried any version yet, my post at GS was based on looking at the photos and reading the manual.

cheers

AcusticaPress
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by AcusticaPress » Thu May 03, 2018 12:49 pm

robschroeder wrote:

Yeah, just did a quick test. It is both preamps in TUBE(1) and also the C pre in the compressor module that are inverted... TUBE2 is OK. I'll report this in the beta now.
Acustica Press
Acusticaudio SRL
www.acustica-audio.com

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Thu May 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Great! I have also reported it to the support.

Bought CREAM anyway as it has a great sound! Love the vibe :D

ce1909

Post by ce1909 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 pm

robschroeder wrote:

Good find Rob, you should be a beta tester. You seem to catch alot of mistakes that go unnoticed.

wordclock
User Level I
User Level I

Post by wordclock » Thu May 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Wow, looks great! Is there tapecompression on preamp tube, cause in the manual you say it is sampled with tape medium?