N4 finally available in Aquarius

Vando

Re: N4 finally available in Aquarius

Post by Vando » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks Zab! That was it. I had too many backups floating around. Did some cleaning and now everything is fine again

-V-

roeland
User Level II
User Level II

Post by roeland » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 pm

I posted this yesterday and it seems nobody is interested in answering... So again Zabuwkoski please..?

I found a bug in he latest N4 VST3 (N4 version 1.1.012; UAE version 1.4.2.15). In Cubase 9.5 PRO all automation curves are jump curves instead of ramp curves as in the VST2 version. This means that I can only automate in jumps and not in fades. I can use the CADPAN from Tim P or the N14 panner from Alex B perfectly well if I use the VST2 version where you can make a gradual change in panning from centre to right, but I can't use both panners in the VST3 version where there are only sudden jumps in the panner values - the panning jumps from center to far right for instance. I would like to be able to use the VST3 version because in Cubase 9.5 (that is my sequencer) the VST3 version of N4 runs in the new 64 bit engine of (which is a bit better then the 32 bit engine) while all VST2 plugins run in the 32 bit engine of Cubase. I have a Windows Machine running Windows 10.

May be Zabukowski can iron out this little problem? Thanks in advance for any answer..!

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:24 am

zabukowski wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:36 pm
Each setup must have unique Magic ID. N4 is using N406 and N416 was used before with ZL Nebula, so it should stay the same for backward compatibility. Otherwise, you can setup magic ID value freely by yourself.
Thanks. Is it possible to create a setup so that the latency is between N4 and N4ZL? In my system, N4 = 2119 samples and N4ZL = 66 samples, but the latter requires much more CPU power. It'd be great if I can get something in between.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 am

deepwhite wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:24 am
zabukowski wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:36 pm
Each setup must have unique Magic ID. N4 is using N406 and N416 was used before with ZL Nebula, so it should stay the same for backward compatibility. Otherwise, you can setup magic ID value freely by yourself.
Thanks. Is it possible to create a setup so that the latency is between N4 and N4ZL? In my system, N4 = 2119 samples and N4ZL = 66 samples, but the latter requires much more CPU power. It'd be great if I can get something in between.
Not sure about this ... ask support.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 am

Vando wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm
Thanks Zab! That was it. I had too many backups floating around. Did some cleaning and now everything is fine again

-V-
Yeah, this is a typical messy behaviour when multiple plugins use the same magic id - you never know which one will be actually loaded.

KuulArt
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by KuulArt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 am

Hi,

I have some weird issues with random crashes of N4 created setups. 1 out of 5 times it crashes Reaper on Mac OS 10.12. I have tried re-installing by removing Acustica Audio folder in Library/Audio/Presets and then removing the .dll files. But that did not help.
How should I go about doing a completely clean re-install? I am suspecting that this happened because I updated previous N4 with the new version from Aquarius and it does not like something about this. Also I have tried the newest update but that did not help.

Or maybe it is some of the libraries that I am using? Is there a way on how to debug this? Maybe a crash generates an error log?

PS
I would like to save set ups or at least be able to recreate the setups so that the projects I have been working for last couple of weeks work. I suspect that magic ID is responsible for plugin recall in the projects, right?

PSS
Another thing to note - if I copy n4 plugin and paste( yuo can do this in reaper) then it does not crash. Also if I open from a saved plugin chain then it usualy does not crash as well
Last edited by KuulArt on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roeland
User Level II
User Level II

Post by roeland » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am

Dear Zabukowski,

Why do you ignore my question about the VST3 automation problem in N4, while you react quite promptly to other questions asked here in this forum? I posted twice about this bug. Could you please explain what could be wrong or what you can (or can't) do about it? I don't think I deserve not to be taken seriously by just ignoring a neutral question...

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:13 pm

roeland wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am
Dear Zabukowski,

Why do you ignore my question about the VST3 automation problem in N4, while you react quite promptly to other questions asked here in this forum? I posted twice about this bug. Could you please explain what could be wrong or what you can (or can't) do about it? I don't think I deserve not to be taken seriously by just ignoring a neutral question...
Open a support ticket - there is no quick answer for your issue.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:32 pm

roeland wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 pm
I posted this yesterday and it seems nobody is interested in answering... So again Zabuwkoski please..?

I found a bug in he latest N4 VST3 (N4 version 1.1.012; UAE version 1.4.2.15). In Cubase 9.5 PRO all automation curves are jump curves instead of ramp curves as in the VST2 version. This means that I can only automate in jumps and not in fades. I can use the CADPAN from Tim P or the N14 panner from Alex B perfectly well if I use the VST2 version where you can make a gradual change in panning from centre to right, but I can't use both panners in the VST3 version where there are only sudden jumps in the panner values - the panning jumps from center to far right for instance. I would like to be able to use the VST3 version because in Cubase 9.5 (that is my sequencer) the VST3 version of N4 runs in the new 64 bit engine of (which is a bit better then the 32 bit engine) while all VST2 plugins run in the 32 bit engine of Cubase. I have a Windows Machine running Windows 10.

May be Zabukowski can iron out this little problem? Thanks in advance for any answer..!
I don't have access to CADPAN or N14 atm, but tried Nuendo 7 + N4 VST3 + misc Nebula programs and automation here works as expected, either drawing by hand or recording knob movement. Not sure what is the reason for your issue, might be related to specific Nebula program.

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:59 pm

zabukowski wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 am
Not sure about this ... ask support.
thanks ^^

roeland
User Level II
User Level II

Post by roeland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi Zabukowski!
Thanks for you answer. Sadly my problem with the VST3 version of N4 in Cubase 9.5 is not specific to the programs I mentioned (CadPan & N14). None of the programs I have can be automated in the right way - with ramp lines. All of them are limited to jump. It does not matter if I load one of my third party libraries (I have almost everything of Tim P. much of Alex B and much of Cupwise) or Acoustica Audio's own programs. The automation of Rose and Violet only jumps, and does not do the proper ramp lines. Violet does have the right ramp lines when I use it as an Aqua - when it is VST2 instead of VST3.

All of my programs work flawlessly in N4 VST2. It is definitely a problem in the VST3 version of the plug-in which sounds just a bit better in Cubase 9.5 because of the 64 bit engine of Cubase. Most of my N4 programs don't need to be automated - I tend to use Nebula as I would use hardware in days long past - but sometimes I need the automation.

Because Cubase will only show the VST3 plug-in of N4 even though I have installed the VST2 version and even though I gave that a different Magic Number, I can only automate Nebula programs using my old Nebula3 VST2. That is a doable workaround, but if possible I'd love to be able to use N4 VST3 with the same functionalities of N4 VST2.

Could you explain why the problem is so hard to solve? And is there any hope it will get solved at all in the near future? Thanks for your answer in advance!

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:07 pm

roeland wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:00 pm
Hi Zabukowski!
Thanks for you answer. Sadly my problem with the VST3 version of N4 in Cubase 9.5 is not specific to the programs I mentioned (CadPan & N14). None of the programs I have can be automated in the right way - with ramp lines. All of them are limited to jump. It does not matter if I load one of my third party libraries (I have almost everything of Tim P. much of Alex B and much of Cupwise) or Acoustica Audio's own programs. The automation of Rose and Violet only jumps, and does not do the proper ramp lines. Violet does have the right ramp lines when I use it as an Aqua - when it is VST2 instead of VST3.

All of my programs work flawlessly in N4 VST2. It is definitely a problem in the VST3 version of the plug-in which sounds just a bit better in Cubase 9.5 because of the 64 bit engine of Cubase. Most of my N4 programs don't need to be automated - I tend to use Nebula as I would use hardware in days long past - but sometimes I need the automation.

Because Cubase will only show the VST3 plug-in of N4 even though I have installed the VST2 version and even though I gave that a different Magic Number, I can only automate Nebula programs using my old Nebula3 VST2. That is a doable workaround, but if possible I'd love to be able to use N4 VST3 with the same functionalities of N4 VST2.

Could you explain why the problem is so hard to solve? And is there any hope it will get solved at all in the near future? Thanks for your answer in advance!
I will look further into this. Have to be able to replicate it, first.

Simply put, problem is hard to solve, because i don't know the reason for it. If i would know that, it would already be fixed :)

roeland
User Level II
User Level II

Post by roeland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks for investigating this further. I understand your problem. It is hard to solve something if you can't replicate it... I'd be glad to help if there is a way i which I could do so...

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:53 pm

roeland wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:11 pm
Thanks for investigating this further. I understand your problem. It is hard to solve something if you can't replicate it... I'd be glad to help if there is a way i which I could do so...
Check out this video: https://youtu.be/CGN_uzaFBKo

N4 VST3 X64 1.1.012 (1.4.215) + Nuendo 7.1

roeland
User Level II
User Level II

Post by roeland » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks! I looked at your video. What happens there is that Nuendo writes a series of jumps - not a single line. If you don't record the automation but try and write it by hand by putting two points with different values at some distance from each other in the automation lane (say one at a slow attack and one fast attack) I think you will see clearly what my problem is. You should have a gradual slope between them (a ramp) but I am sure you'll see a jump.

This means you can't draw in the automation by hand - which I do most of the time as it is much faster then playing the whole track and record the automation. If you do what I describe in the VST2 version of N4 you'll see you'll be able to draw a line - or a even a smooth curve in Cubase 9.5. When you use the VST3 version of N4 you can't do that.

If you try other plug ins, you'll find that all of them will default to ramp in both VST2 and VST3. N4 defaults to ramp in VST2, but defaults to jump in VST3. I think that setting is taken from the plug-in for you can't alter a ramp setting into a jump setting in Cubase and I expect this is also not possible in Nuendo. So your video is very clarifying! It shows that we misunderstood each other :D. It also shows that N4 VST3 behaves just like in my case in your example... Hope this helps...