All Acustica Plugins Crash Wavelab 9.5/Win10. Help!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
orangeoctane
User Level 0
User Level 0

All Acustica Plugins Crash Wavelab 9.5/Win10. Help!

Post by orangeoctane » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:26 am

I've been using my Acustica plugins in Wavelab 9.0.35 on Windows 7 for quite some time with excellent success. I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 Pro and Wavelab to 9.5 and now ANY Acustica plugin I use in my mastering chain causes Wavelab to crash when rendering. I can insert a plugin, tweak it and play the file with no problems. The minute I try to render, it causes a hard crash with no error.

I've done all the same tweaks and configuration for my plugins as I did for the Windows 7 system. I'm going to assume that since I can load up 12 Acustica plugins and play the file in real time with no issues, that it's not a lack of PC resources. The other 80 developers whose plugins I own don't have this issue so I am going to assume that it's also not Microsoft, Steinberg or U*******l A***o (Apollo 16).

I have seen others post about similar issues with Wavelab going back 7 months ago with no response. This is not a good sign.

I've opened a ticket but would appreciate any insight to this issue.

- Dave

Support
Expert
Expert

Re: All Acustica Plugins Crash Wavelab 9.5/Win10. Help!

Post by Support » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Today we replicated this behavoir ONLY in Wavelab Pro 9.53 but we are not able to crash Wavelab Pro 9.10 with exact same VST2 files. We will contact Steinberg to get more detailed information about the internal changes done in Wavelab Pro 9.5x related with VST2 format. We suggest you to keep your Wavelab Pro in version 9.10 while we investigate the reasons of this crash.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

Nuno Malo
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by Nuno Malo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:05 am

Are there any news regarding this? I was thinking of buying Wavelab 9.5 to use with Acustica plugins. Has this problem been fixed Acustica? Thanks.

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:44 am

We are releasing updates including VST3 format which work correctly with Wavelab 9.5.41.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.

kenbobplus3db
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by kenbobplus3db » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:09 pm

I've been running Acustica Plugins on Wavelab 9.5 in Windows 7 since August with no difficulty, so I wonder if its a Windows 10 thing. That said, here are a few observations that might be helpful:

I did have some trouble rendering multi-channel audio that contained clip effects AND master-section effects. My solution was to render the clip effects in the montage first, and then to run the EQ'd material through the master section to finish. Secondly, Wavelab has a weird way of trying to load the full processed montage into memory before rendering. (This is a best-guess observation*) The reason why I think this is that last summer I was working on a 2 hour long surround program that would crash when rendering due to out-of-memory errors. The solution here was to break the project up into shorter montages and render each individually, and then to re-assemble the rendered segments in a separate montage. Because Wavelab tries to load the full processed montage into memory, it does not make a difference if you only select a portion of the montage for rendering-- it will still attempt to load the full sequence. The only solution is to shorten the length of the montage. I was handling 6 channels of 96k24b audio in the surround project. I ended up having to break the project into 25 minute montages to avoid crashing-- even with 32 gig of memory in my system.**

*The reason why I make this observation is that when rendering an EQ'd song from a montage, there is a long lag time (which is when I believe Wavelab is loading the sequence into RAM) before the program actually starts writing the EQd audio to disc. This pre-render delay is directly proportional to the full length of the audio montage. When working on a 96k album sequence of approximately 35 to 40 minutes, this delay is roughly 2 minutes before the EQ'd audio is written to disc. It doesn't make a difference whether the audio to be rendered is a six minute epic song or a fifteen second snippet: the pre-delay remains in the neighborhood of two minutes. Sometimes, to speed things along, I will copy the clip with effects into an empty montage where it becomes the only song and render from there. This workaround substantially shortens the pre-render delay

**Even with 32 gig of RAM Wavelab seems to top out at roughly 20-24 gig of memory use. I would welcome anybody's wisdom about how to raise this limit.

kenbobplus3db
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by kenbobplus3db » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Support wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:44 am
We are releasing updates including VST3 format which work correctly with Wavelab 9.5.41.
Have you started implementing this on any of the updates so far? I haven't seen a VST3 installation path in Aquarius, and nothing related to Acustica seems to be going into C:\Program Files\Common Files. One thing I've noticed in Wavelab is a perceived audio improvement when running VST3 plugins vis-a-vis their vst2 equivalents with the same settings. I shouldn't think that there'd be a difference, but VST3 always wins the shootout. Since I can't find any VST3 installations of Acquas I can't make this comparison here.

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.

kenbobplus3db
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by kenbobplus3db » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:08 pm

This is Great! This is the first time I've seen this changes page.

I just installed Taupe as a VST3 plugin. Wavelab detects it as a 32B-float process. The VST2 version is detected as a 64B float process. The difference in precision is audible, and for now I'll stick with the VST2 version. Is there a parameter that needs to get switched for the migration to VST3? (I'll file a ticket)