Acqua emulation strangeness

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
Ermz
User Level I
User Level I

Acqua emulation strangeness

Post by Ermz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am

Hey all,

Long time Nebula/Acqua user here. I've always loved the EQs, though I've found the operation a bit quirky from time to time.

Very recently I decided to test a lot of my mainstay plug-ins through an analyzer tool, and I noticed that all my favourite Acqua EQs (Ivory, Magenta, Purple, Green) imparted a weird 'ripple' effect onto the frequency curve, the moment any of their bands or preamp emulations were enabled. Could one of the developers please explain what's happening here? It appears to be consistent across all sample rates. It also doesn't appear consistent with the emulation characteristics of any other plug-ins in my collection. Thanks!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: Acqua emulation strangeness

Post by RJHollins » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 am

If you look at the FREQ [Hz] where you see the larger 'ripples' ... much is in the 25 Hz and below.

I looked [analyzed - PluginDoc] IVORY-3 Stereo ... the low end ripple is 0.4dB at 16 Hz. Above 20 Hz it is 0.2 dB

Not sure the concern ...

I could speculate that it is a combination of the actual hardware response, the length of the Kernel [samples] with the balancing of quality to CPU/RAM requirements.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Ermz
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Acqua emulation strangeness

Post by Ermz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

The concern lies in that I'm frequently using some of these on the master bus, and with other EQs I'm commonly making adjustments in 0.01dB increments, so the impact of these ripples is relatively significant. Even for educational purposes, I'd like to know what's causing them, as no other hardware modelling behavior acts this way from my plug-in collection.