Automatic Gain Staging?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
Flohre
User Level III
User Level III

Automatic Gain Staging?

Post by Flohre » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi there,

I've heard, that gain staging is very important for a proper sound of the plug-in.
Isn't it possible, to build an automatic gain staging button in the plug-in?
Like autogain in others.
Sure, a bit tricky as the plug-in would have to look far into the future. But as a learn-option it would be possible and wonderful. The plug-in analyses the material and sets the right value in the inputgain-section
Then, if one wants the staging works automatically.

Best regards Flohre
System: Windows 10/x64, Pre: 2x F*******e Liquid Channel, Apollo Twin USB, DAW: Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 9.5, Samplitude ProX3, Plugins: Nebula 4/Aqua, 2x F*******e Liquid Mix

rossharvey
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Automatic Gain Staging?

Post by rossharvey » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Can't see why not!

Until then, try this:

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... meter-mk3/

Cheap and very, very handy. You set the 0VU level (-18dB by default), press the Auto button and play the track. It'll auto set the gain so it peaks at 0VU.

Note: set the Max Peak to 0 if you want it to hit 0VU. Set Reference to -18.

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by babiuk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Saverio has been adviced to add a feature for applying that staging to a bunch of tracks where it is loaded so the plugin calculates which is the highest track and so it takes it as 0 reference, and the rest of tracks are staged according to their realtion to highest track. I mean not all tracks will be staged at 0 reference but they will be staged keeping relative values which is more real.
I hope he does it soon
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

rossharvey
User Level X
User Level X

Post by rossharvey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:54 pm

babiuk wrote:Saverio has been adviced to add a feature for applying that staging to a bunch of tracks where it is loaded so the plugin calculates which is the highest track and so it takes it as 0 reference, and the rest of tracks are staged according to their realtion to highest track. I mean not all tracks will be staged at 0 reference but they will be staged keeping relative values which is more real.
I hope he does it soon
That would be kickass!

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by babiuk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 am

rossharvey wrote:
That would be kickass!

Yes, it would be perfect for me because otherwise I am not using it, the "all tracks staged to same 0" implies every track is hitting gear at same level which is not very real, a snare hit does not punch a compressor the same as a soft fingered bass note.
Also you have to adjust faders again after this plugin,because it normalize all to same high peak
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by Jack Winter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:44 am

I do something like this in reaper with a user provided script, it analyses the media for rms and peak values. Then it normalizes the media either to -18dB rms or -6dB peak, whichever is higher. This leads to pad like material being normalized to -18dB rms, and percussive material to -6dB peak.

Am not a nebula guru and to be honest I don't use it very often due to not having time for the somewhat convoluted workflow, of freezing tracks or hiding them in sub projects.

But even so, this is IMO a sane workflow even without nebula, as the tracks tend to be in the right ballpark with faders at unity, and still leaves me plenty of headroom on the master.

You could batch render the tracks to create tracks to import into what ever DAW you use, I often render tracks this way for my friend to import into his Cubase. He has never complained about the levels of the tracks :)
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.