Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted out?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
daystripper
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Will the top end issue with compressors ever be sorted o

Post by daystripper » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:29 pm

as far as amethyst3 is concerned (that was your example), switch on insane-mode and the distortion you are seeing should be gone. there is a little switch called "IN" on the amethyst3 standalone comp, activate that (on the full channelstrip of amethyst3, insanemode is active by default).
at least in my test with a bass di, where i saw the same distortion you were showing, this did the trick.
Man, I am aware of the insane mode. I've mentioned it everywhere that I have tested everything with insane mode on. As well as with it switched off. The screens were made with it ON. With the insane mode switched off the artifacts look different on the meters, they are more evenly distributed and there are more spikes. It actually sounds less fatiguing.

I've just tested the ebony compressors, nothing has changed. They all do the same thing. I believe they call it aliasing. Destroys audio.

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 pm

daystripper wrote:
as far as amethyst3 is concerned (that was your example), switch on insane-mode and the distortion you are seeing should be gone. there is a little switch called "IN" on the amethyst3 standalone comp, activate that (on the full channelstrip of amethyst3, insanemode is active by default).
at least in my test with a bass di, where i saw the same distortion you were showing, this did the trick.
Man, I am aware of the insane mode. I've mentioned it everywhere that I have tested everything with insane mode on. As well as with it switched off. The screens were made with it ON. With the insane mode switched off the artifacts look different on the meters, they are more evenly distributed and there are more spikes. It actually sounds less fatiguing.

I've just tested the ebony compressors, nothing has changed. They all do the same thing. I believe they call it aliasing. Destroys audio.
Is there a difference between full channel strips and isolated compressor module ?
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:23 pm

daystripper wrote:

sorry, i can't reproduce your artefacts with insane-mode ON.
as i said, they go away, when i switch it on.
i went with everything i can read out of your descriptions for my tests.

@avgatzeblouz: here the behaviour is the same for strip and single instance
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

Sheikyearbouti

Post by Sheikyearbouti » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:46 pm

granmastertaipan wrote:artifacts appears from 21.5 KHZ with a max peak at -82DB
That could simply be harmonic distortion and I bet you won't hear it at this level and that frequency range. Anytime there is amplitude modulation (such as in compressor - being digital or analogue) there is distortion. This is indeed why you have the attack and release controls on a compressor - to reduce the distortion artifacts (and of course to make the gain reduction less audible). This is pure sound theory and part of the laws of physics. In reality you cannot have a pure sine wave unless it lasts forever. Anytime you interrupt it or change it in level, there will be distortion!
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/