TAUPE Plugin Questions

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
[email protected]
User Level 0
User Level 0

TAUPE Plugin Questions

Post by [email protected] » Wed May 20, 2020 3:28 am

Hello all,
First post for me and relatively new to Acustica. I currently only have the TAUPE plugin. And love it. However the cryptic names of the tape machines has baffled me. And when I'm looking for a particular sound I don't want to spend time guessing, I want to just get to it. I recently had a bit of time and frustrated with this I spent hours online trying to match which tape machine emulations went with the coinciding preset numbers. A0 Am%x. B7 MCI and so on.[ BTW I was unable to find a list containing a list of matching model/brand emulations. Does anyone know where I could find them? ] I was looking for the Swiss made multi track recorder with the number 800 at the end of the model name, only to my great disappointment I discovered at the end of my quest that this legendary multitrack recorder is not in the list! huh? Have I missed something? Could someone from Acustica please chime in.
Thanks in advance,
Julius

kenbobplus3db
User Level X
User Level X

Re: TAUPE Plugin Questions

Post by kenbobplus3db » Wed May 20, 2020 6:15 pm

In some ways I think the make/model of the machines is less important because so much of the tape machine sound depends on things like bias calibration, rec/play HF EQ calibration, and reference level. I find it more useful to go by the frequency graphs. Frequently I'll set up on one machine that I think I'll like, (Amp%x for transparency at 30) save the preset, and then switch to a similar machine (MC-eye at 30) save a preset and switch between presets to find the optimal version for the music. Sometimes I am surprised by a machine that I'm not familiar with. I never thought of R3v0x as a professional equipment line, I tend to shy away from 1/4" low speed formats, but there is one R3v0x among the models that I absolutely love for the low frequency extension and the high harmonic gloss.

A couple general comments: If you want big low end and are trying to warm up an over-bright mix, start with low speed models. If you can sacrifice a bit of sub bass and you want high frequency transparency start with hi-speed models. if the model seems to be swallowing your transient content, back off on the input trim. Pick a model with the wet/dry setting all the way to tape, and then when you have a character you like, back off toward the dry signal to set the amount of harmonic glue/distortion/magic that is appropriate for the music. Back in the day-- even when mastering from halfinch tape masters-- I used to include EQ in my signal chain. Let Taupe put some character/soul into your mix and then trim the frequency response to correct for some of the non-linearities that bother you.

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Re: TAUPE Plugin Questions

Post by SWANG » Wed May 20, 2020 9:22 pm

the make/model brand names are trademarked by their respective owners. aa has forgotten more about the legalities of this than i'll ever learn, but my understanding is that they are protecting themselves by hinting at - but not specifically revealing - the original product names on which their emulations are based. so they likely won't reply to this question either.

check your pm for more info.
[email protected] wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:28 am
Hello all,
First post for me and relatively new to Acustica. I currently only have the TAUPE plugin. And love it. However the cryptic names of the tape machines has baffled me. And when I'm looking for a particular sound I don't want to spend time guessing, I want to just get to it.