Desiderata: Migration Tool!

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..
kenbobplus3db
User Level X
User Level X

Desiderata: Migration Tool!

Post by kenbobplus3db » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:18 pm

I want a plugin migration tool!

As a mastering engineer- I am frequently called upon to recall songs from previous years. Acquas are getting upgraded constantly, are consistently sounding better with each new engine release, and I don't want to be bound to version I originally set up on. Today I had to reinstall Cream to recall a preset, and then manually match the settings on Cream2. Not too difficult, but more complex plugins (Sand, Coral) are a different matter. There ought to be a way to save the plugin .fxp or VST3 preset file and recall it on a later plugin version.

Likewise, when recalling plugin presets on audio with a differing sample rate, all hell seems to break loose. Sometimes the audio gets cut off at the Nyquist frequency of the original setup, sometimes the audio mutes and pops. Again there ought to be a way to translate a saved .fxp file (or VST3 preset) to the same Acqua that is initialized at a different sample rate, and have the full fidelity and utility of the plugin at the new native rate. It can be a drag to try and recreate CD audio setups for higher sample rate video soundtrack versions. The way the Acqua interface behaves, it seems like most of the GUI is encoded by knob position anyway, and that's not dependent on sample rates and versions.

I am now running all of my Acquas at 96k with sample converted source files, but I'd love to have the option of testing the same Acqua settings at a lower sample rate so I can choose how much transient smearing I'm willing to accept in tradeoff for running the Acuqas at their native vector sample rate.

Support
Expert
Expert

Re: Desiderata: Migration Tool!

Post by Support » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:55 am

Load and relocate parameters from a plug-in to other one with different plug-in IDs is a feature not available into SDKs from Steinberg, Apple, Avid or JUCE. So Acustica Audio as plug-ins developers is not able to perform the requested action.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com

kenbobplus3db
User Level X
User Level X

Post by kenbobplus3db » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Is there a way that you could create a tool that would rewrite file header info so that you could open a Gold Strip file and save it as a Gold2 strip file?

Is there a way to spoof the identity of the plugin so that Steinberg thinks its the old version on preset recall?

Support
Expert
Expert

Post by Support » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Cubase and Nuendo file sessions format are not open formats, you could do it only with REAPER sessions. Ask host developers for more details.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com