Acqua Plugins maxing out CPU

If you need to write about anything else please do it here..
rrs
User Level 0
User Level 0

Acqua Plugins maxing out CPU

Post by rrs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi All

This is my introduction to AA and I have been trailing Navy and Honey 2 plugins and have to say these are amazing plugins sound quality wise and if it wasn't for this fact I would have not even bothered spending so much time on this issue.

You see loading one instance of either of these on H******* Mixbus takes my CPU from around 17% to somewhere around 80% with spikes up to 90 which causes distortion.

I have 2 different Macs (one 8 core Mac Pro and other Dual core imac) both with the exact same issue. I have multiple hard Drives testing on OSX 10.7,8 and 11 as well as using my Pro Tools interfaces to just my Mac outputs. H******* Mixbus 3 and 32 64 and 32 bit all tried and same behaviour,

I see others with the same setups being able to get up to 8 instances without issue so I assume something here is wrong and should be able to be fixed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did contact help and was suggested larger buffer settings and non ZL versions but Ive tried every buffer setting possible with no luck.

rrs
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Acqua Plugins maxing out CPU

Post by rrs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:14 pm

I will add when loading a plugin to my session CPU maxes out completely then slowly goes down over a few seconds. Also I notice a significant spike when opening the GUI when the plugins has no bands activated.

Maybe this is a hint,

I notice in a similar thread changing the buffer size in the .MXL was of some improvement but cannot locate any buffer settings in mine.

basaristudios
Expert
Expert

Post by basaristudios » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:11 pm

It has to be something with the computers or settings,
on some Computers some of us can even get 100 instances
of some of the Aqua plugins...look at one of my videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzVdmppNaU
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Does your sound card have 'BUFFER' settings ? What is it set at?

Maybe it is set for the absolute smallest latency value.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

rrs
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by rrs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:04 am

RJHollins Yes.
I am using my pro tools interface on one system and Pro Tools Aggregate on another both utilising Core Audio.
Buffers are set on those and H******* Mixbus. Tried all setting and not one difference.

rrs
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by rrs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:12 am

[email protected]

Tried watching your YouTube video but theres no audio in any of them.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 am

rrs wrote:RJHollins Yes.
I am using my pro tools interface on one system and Pro Tools Aggregate on another both utilising Core Audio.
Buffers are set on those and H******* Mixbus. Tried all setting and not one difference.
Try setting BOTH settings to 2048 as a start point.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:32 am

i tested honey2 in mixbus in windows 8 not too long ago with my dualcore macbook (see sig) with maybe 15% of load for one instance. it was vst on windows.

could be something related to the combination of acqua au version/mixbus/mac osx.
it's definitely not "normal" to have this load.
even with mixbus being not highly optimised in regard of cpu-performance, this should not happen.

i will try to find some time, testing it in mixbus in osx yosemite on my macbook.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

rrs
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by rrs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:06 am

Thanks Mathis.
Ive tried 3 different OSX versions so maybe we can rule that out. Acqua/ MB definatly in my case. Others with same setup seem fine though so I am sure this can be fixed.

RJHollins, yes both are set the same each time i try a different buffer setting.

I'll add another oddity. I can actually get 4 tracks of NAVY going if I put them in the session first and only use my UAD plugins alongside (maybe get the odd spike)then but when I close the session and then restart it it fully maxes out to 100% CPU
I can de activate then re activate all plugins and it returns to normal.

Still 4 instances with the odd spike into the 90s shouldn't be normal.

basaristudios
Expert
Expert

Post by basaristudios » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:16 am

rrs wrote:[email protected]

Tried watching your YouTube video but theres no audio in any of them.
Yes, you do not hear any audio because i took the audio off.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.

rrs
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by rrs » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Tried the free Tan plugin and seemed much better, no maxing out after 3 stereo instances. Put on Navy again and bang, all ran into the red grr

I also notice with Navy CPU is around 60% ldle

philipsaxin
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by philipsaxin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 pm

I also have the problem in Pro Tools where I close the session and reopen and the CPU is then f*cked. I use both mac and pc and have the same problem on both systems. Pro tools 12.4. After a whole day of trial and error it seems like the problem occurs when a bunch of Acqua Plugins is opening at the same time.

To make it work I have to remove at least 3/4'th of all the Acqua Plugins and the CPU goes down to normal and I can then slowly reopen the plugins one by one and it will be back to normal.

Another, better way is to always open a session(that has Acqua Plugins in it) with all the plugins inactive and then activate the plugins slowly, one by one.

This is a pain in the ass and a serious workflow killer.

I have tried ALL kinds of changes with the cpu, rams, gpu, hdd's and so on. I was able to get a little bit better performance and more even spread to the different cores but this CPU-spike problem didn't change at all.

In Pro Tools the CPU % jumps up and down and most of the time stays at 100& whe I have this problem. For example it might jump between 40% and 100%, back and forth. When it's working like it should it's pretty stable at 40%(in this example), where it should be. When I monitor the CPU usage with Core Temp or something like that it's Not acctually jumping up and down and looks like it should be stable. I have this problem basically with all Acqua Plugins I own: Sand, Lime and Pearl2.

I have tried wrapping VST's in metaplugin and this problem does Not occur. It's not working that good for me though, some functions are not responding well or at all. This might be some license thing and I've only tried it briefly because I do NOT want to be forced to wrap the VST's in metaplugin, I would mutch rather it worked stable with AAX.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions on how to fix it? I guess I maybe should send a support ticket about this?

massi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by massi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Having to build a new pc, and ideally going for an Acqua/Nebula only (or almost) worflow, it's better to have a faster single core optimized CPU or a multi core optimized CPU?
Do (as I imagine considering your coding skill) your plugs use multi threading efficiently so it's better to go with a Broadwell-E I7 6850K for example or it doesn't change much with a Skylake i5 6600K or the new Kaby Lake i7 7700K?
This changes all the architecture of course z170 / x99

Thanks
Pearl, Sand, Diamond EQ

skyland
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by skyland » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:33 am

Greetings, I have the same problem running NAVY and SAND 3..eveytime i open a session i get the 9173 errors and have to inactivate the plugins and then back again. I don't have that same proble with S1 or Logic only on Pro Tools...has anyone been able to find a fix for this?

VTStudios
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by VTStudios » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Same issues here. I even created 2 support tickets and they closed them without any reply. Sometimes one instance and it spikes to 100% after reloading the ProTools session. Crazy behaviour for a plugin.

I bought NAVY and I can't use it properly. For a professional studio is a NO-GO plugin. You can experience this issue at any time. Imagine having a mixing session and needing to remove ALL ACQUA plugins in the middle of the session...that's a huge issue for professionals like me. Then people ask why the TOP mix-guys are not using these plugins...obviously, you can't rely on this company, specially when they close your support tickets without spending a single minute trying to help you. The worst customer service I've seen in my life.

There are many users reporting this kind of issues and they are doing NOTHING to solve it.