Understanding Nebula Compressor II
Latest compressor emulation program are based on RAWFUNS, attack and release times are sampled but with limited gain reduction range, around 30 dB are sampled, this limitation is related to the noise floor from the sampled gear.
When you try to compress more than 30 dB range setting threshold between -30 dB to -48 dB, Nebula will behave in odd ways at the top of the transfer function, in this part Nebula will not compress anymore due the ratio of compression will be 1:1.
In order to get a similar behavior like software compressors you should try moderate threshold values, from -10 dB to -30 dB and if you need more gain reduction you can increase the gain in and decrease the gain out (depending the gain reduction and the make up values)
As we explained in last tip of the month, don't try to convert an horse to a dog. Sometimes the limitation is not hardware specific, but is introduced by Nebula engine. If you don't like the sound try to use a different compressor, even from an other manufacturer, and add Nebula later for the 3d effect, color and sense of spaceness.
We could modify the compressors NAT template for only show -30 dB of threshold but we consider that Nebula "top end transparent compression FX" could be interesting and useful in some special situations.
Nebula tips and tricks
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 2861
- Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm
- Location: Lodi | Madrid | Buenos Aires
- 165a2to1Trsh-23.png (31.35 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- 165a2to1Trsh-48.png (31.39 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- FateComp4to1Trsh-23.png (32.16 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- FateComp4to1Trsh-48.png (33.17 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- FatFunk4K7to1Trsh-23.png (30.54 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- FatFunk4K7to1Trsh-48.png (32.69 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- SnapCmp10to1Trsh-23.png (30.69 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- SnapCmp10to1Trsh-48.png (32.26 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- VM-CompLimiterTrsh-23.png (30.39 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
- VM-CompLimiterTrsh-48.png (33.5 KiB) Viewed 3200 times