NebulaMan group bus processing question

Additional software tools
MetalD03
User Level 0
User Level 0

NebulaMan group bus processing question

Post by MetalD03 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:21 am

Hi! I recently got NebulaMan and I love it, but I have a question I was hoping someone could clarify because I had trouble finding anything about it.

When NebulaMan renders individual tracks does it just process the file through the programs in the chain, or is it actually running the full audio that would go through it so group buses would process like everything is going through it at that time.

What I'm curious about is how I'd set up for example my drums if I want say Kick, Snare, OH and Toms all with a console Line In on the individuals tracks, then sent to a console Group bus then finally to the Master bus with everything else. And will it process these buses with the other audio files in the project in mind, just like they were all playing through the buses at the time of the render?

If so, what's the proper setup? I tried using the templates but they don't work with programs I have so I can't see how they're set up exactly.

I'm having trouble describing my question but hopefully you could understand me. Thanks you for any help and thanks to Acustica for these great tools!

- Daniel

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Re: NebulaMan group bus processing question

Post by SWANG » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:20 am

^if i understand nebulaman (and your question) correctly, you'll have to render buses separately. bear in mind, i'm still learning the program myself, but after buying it, i'm truly wondering why i waited so long! :shock:

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:27 am

MetalD03 wrote:When NebulaMan renders individual tracks does it just process the file through the programs in the chain, or is it actually running the full audio that would go through it so group buses would process like everything is going through it at that time.
Only individual tracks trough the chain.
MetalD03 wrote:What I'm curious about is how I'd set up for example my drums if I want say Kick, Snare, OH and Toms all with a console Line In on the individuals tracks, then sent to a console Group bus then finally to the Master bus with everything else. And will it process these buses with the other audio files in the project in mind, just like they were all playing through the buses at the time of the render?
For individual settings of each track use B fx chain, then you will be able to make settings for each track individually. For bus processing you will need to run them in your DAW trough a real bus with Nebula and the bus effect you want enabled.

Have also a look to the manual as there is explained everything very well. Especially the roles of the fx chains.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:13 am

NebulaMan will process your files from bottom to the top of the Project Pool. For each file it will create FX chain, which is a sum of file's FX chain and all parent groups including master.

For example:

if your kick track contains 2 presets in the chain: TAPE and CONSOLE, and drums group FX chain contains presets COMPRESSOR and EQ, and master contains preset LIMITER, then kick's final FX chain will be.

TAPE
CONSOLE
COMPRESSOR
EQ
LIMITER

Files are always rendered individually, so there is no effect of having multiple files playing at the same time on the bus.

MetalD03
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by MetalD03 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Many thanks to you guys for the insights!

Follow up question - do you guys go ahead and process your group buses and/or master buses in NebulaMan or do you wait until you're back in your DAW and strap them across the buses there?

Just wondering what your most common setups for NebulaMan are if say you've got a typical rock song setup - drums, bass, guitars, vocal.

I was hoping to avoid too many instances of Nebula in my DAW, but wonder if it's avoidable.

robschroeder
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by robschroeder » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 pm

MetalD03 wrote:Many thanks to you guys for the insights!

Follow up question - do you guys go ahead and process your group buses and/or master buses in NebulaMan or do you wait until you're back in your DAW and strap them across the buses there?
Bus/2Bus = DAW

MetalD03 wrote:Just wondering what your most common setups for NebulaMan are if say you've got a typical rock song setup - drums, bass, guitars, vocal.
Tape/Console and rough EQing in Nebula Man to avoid Nebula overkill in my DAW. Busing only in DAW.

MetalD03 wrote:I was hoping to avoid too many instances of Nebula in my DAW, but wonder if it's avoidable.
As said: Edit your single tracks in Nebula Man then go back to your DAW and perform the Bus processing. This saves a lot of Nebula instances (at least for me).