How to sample microphones

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
mchillak
User Level VI
User Level VI

How to sample microphones

Post by mchillak » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:30 pm

I have a beautiful vintage 251 I wanted to sample. How does one sample a microphone?

mathias
Expert
Expert

Re: How to sample microphones

Post by mathias » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 pm

best would be an anechoic chamber, like some manufacturers, labs or universities have. but that's difficult.

but you can try to sample it in a big room and be near to the speaker (best would a point-source fullrange-speaker, so you can go 1m before it or even closer). remember that you'll also sample the speaker character, so think about that. it's a chain of "DA-speaker-microphone-AD".

you can also make a room/reverb program when using greater distances, where the reflections come into play.

make sure to experiment with nat before, it's a little tricky sometimes ... :)
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

soundwizard99
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: How to sample microphones

Post by soundwizard99 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 pm

If you get sampling mics sorted out, please let me know, I have a c800g and a u47 that I would like to sample ASAP. I will post the programs for free to anyone who is helpful in assisting with how to get NAT to sample mics.

I'm still having trouble creating basic programs and can't seem to determine what I'm doing wrong. Hopefully I can figure it out soon.

Thanks