Nebula feature suggestions
wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

N4 REQUESTS: Global Linking, Program Toggles, HQ Rendering

Post by wagz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am

I've got several requests, today.

1. Global Linking:
I'd like to control all instances of N4 or groups of N4 instances with whatever controls are linked. That way, all can be bypassed. Or, maybe the feature could be used to
select a different tape speed for multiple tracks that have the same tape program on them.

2. Program Toggles:

I'd like to be able to choose a specific program and via selection switches cause N4 to toggle automatically to another program within the same library (like behind-the-scenes switching back and forth from the light version [LE], of a specific compressor or eq program to an high quality [HQ] version). The idea here is that several different programs can be toggled without the need to constantly, manually load programs. Since they share the exact same instance of N4 and one skin, I would be able to quickly toggle from LE versions of programs to more CPU intensive versions of those programs without losing my settings or having to lose time setting up an automation workaround to accomplish this. Note: I am not talking about multi-racking. Please, please, include this feature in N4. It will speed up my workflow.

And, finally:

3. HQ Rendering:

Since I can't usually use the High Quality [HQ] or Super-High Quality [SHQ] versions of many programs in real time, please make it so that I can cause N4 to automatically select the higher quality programs over their lower quality counterparts whenever I render. That way, I won't have to go in and manually choose to render using the SHQ versions each time. Note: This is different than the QUALITY parameter on the MAST page because the higher quality program would automatically used for rendering.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: N4 REQUESTS: Global Linking, Program Toggles, HQ Renderi

Post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:18 pm

1) yes in the future
2) already implemented in the new n4 library format, first libraries will be released before the end of the year
The toggle inside the same library is a mess, this is the reason why we are sandboxing libraries (and the new n4 format takes care fo it)
3) we are trying to avoid this mess, we'll drop completely the support of rendering modes; maybe we'll find an other way

Will The Weirdo
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Will The Weirdo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Finding a good solution to this would be great G, I love Flucti-Mu where I can easily click one switch to render high quality mode in N3 without my settings changing. We should not loose this type of function in N4 unless you have an easier solution.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.5, Reaper 5.4, Live 9.72

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Quality is a parameter to be deprecated anyway
It's a nonsense, since there are other ways for doing it.
Basically the quality rendering solution doesn't work as expected:
- It is not supported on all hosts
- It can blow up the cpu load, leading to crashes

It was a big mistake. I know that someone could not agree, but basically we are the guys at the support desk.

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 pm

giancarlo wrote:1) yes in the future
2) already implemented in the new n4 library format, first libraries will be released before the end of the year
The toggle inside the same library is a mess, this is the reason why we are sandboxing libraries (and the new n4 format takes care fo it)
3) we are trying to avoid this mess, we'll drop completely the support of rendering modes; maybe we'll find an other way

Sweet! Thanks for informing me about this, giancarlo. About the program toggles (#2), how will this work for my third party libraries? Are third party developers going to be able to use program toggles for their libraries, too? Like Will, I also have Flucti-Mew and other Cupwise libraries that would certainly benefit from the functionality that 'program toggles' would provide.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:14 pm

The new format will be available soon
Your will see it implemented in a couple of awesome libraries

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:59 am

giancarlo wrote:The new format will be available soon
Thanks, giancarlo! I'll look forward to seeing that.

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am

Sorry to bother you about this again. But, for the sake of clarity, when the new format is here, will the third party developers also be able to use #2 (program toggles)for their libraries?

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:47 am

I think I explained it many times - it is a long explanation
I'll create a global post on the forum

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 am

wagz wrote:
Sorry to bother you about this again. But, for the sake of clarity, when the new format is here, will the third party developers also be able to use #2 (program toggles)for their libraries?
I think this answers to all your questions.
http://acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =7&t=30174

Program toggles are supported in new n4 format

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm

giancarlo wrote:
wagz wrote:
I think this answers to all your questions.
http://acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =7&t=30174

Program toggles are supported in new n4 format
So, for a simple user like me, it seems that I should just wait for the new format - because what I am requesting will be available only to N4 3rd party developers. Thank you very much for the clarification, Giancarlo.

Also, (if I am understanding things correctly) I guess that I won't see any of these changes instituted in the N3/N4 libraries that I currently have until at least June 2018 (3rd party workshop in Innsbruck), unless the third party devs currently meet all the requirements that you listed for N4 3rd party developers.

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm

I just think that N3 libraries should have the same functionality when opened in N4. In other words, I don't think that some functions already available for N3 should be exclusively for the new format now, like Program Toggles.

This and the lack of Setups almost a year after the release, makes me with a feeling that I bought a product that is worst than it's previous version.

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Post by giancarlo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Program toggle changed during 2014, and the old code was deprecated
It was nor released officially as feature, and the old system makes the code supercomplicated and slow. It was translated in a mess in magenta1, and we decided to rewrite it from the scratch. It was on production in versatile eq.
So we moved to a new system, way more flexible- and we created pearl.
The old code was not stable and we removed it. It was causing a lot of crashes (still affecting old products)

Problem today is different: we don't want programs located in repository are linked one to other ones. Just deleting a program could cause a mess. It is also very difficult to manage automatic installation /repair/ update.
So there is an upcoming format we are currently using in acqua, where connected things are sandboxed. It's very difficult to delete wrong files, and the installation is a breeze.

About setups: thay are working on it
I want to clarify several points about setups

- I wanted it. I suggested it to franci several years ago
- I didn't want for n4 because n4 has a different philosophy.
- I still think it will create incredible problems, because n4 is supposed to work and being updated as single installation. You will see these problems!
- It was requested and we decided to work on it. Anyway coding requires time. Don't blame franci, he is superbusy doing 100 things at once.
- Actually setups feature is the only reason why we didn't drop the support for nebula3. The old product will cease to exist just after that, so there isn't much choice. If you go in the shop today there isn't nebula 3. Also the nebula 3 authorization will be back to emails on the new website. The new website will not support nebula3.