Automatic Gain Compensation

Nebula feature suggestions
Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Re: Automatic Gain Compensation

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Sorry if I missed someting there (I think I did), but are the meters inside Nebula accurate ? Input, output, and gain reduction ? 2 reasons for my question :
can we use the input/output info given in Nebula to do proper gain staging and unity process ? I think so, by listening to it, but I would like to have RJ's opinion about it. There must be a reason on using the Vu-meter instead of the info inside Nebula.
And is the gain reduction info accurate ? I ask because I hear lots of compression when the meter tells me -1/-2 dBs. I know in Acqua we have to do without the meters, but what about Nebula ? Or is it for some libraries only (Sum-100A, Chandly, come to my mind/ears).

Thanks for your input/clarification, I think this thread is extremely important. I remember listening to some demos by Slate for his virtual console thing, and when auditionning the processed vs unprocessed mix, well the processed was essentially louder...Not better. This must be avoided in our choices to make the best mixes we can, and I work quite hard for that, always bypassing plugins, the entire chain, etc... to make sure I'm going the right direction.
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

basaristudios
Expert
Expert

Post by basaristudios » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:32 pm

No, you can not use the Nebula meters, they are not accurate at least for now but they are working on it.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.

ndarjeelingmusic
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by ndarjeelingmusic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Hi RjHollins,

Just to be sure (sorry for my bad english):

1) If i use your method (i use Pink noise's Tone Generator plugin from Presonus):
Could i need to leave acqua's input trim to -18dB or adjust 0db after adjust trim with VUMT please ? (is it same schedule for Eq and Compressor?)

2) if i adjust to -18LUfs EBU (with LUFS Meter Klangfreund for example) for calibrate it because seems to be more precise, is it working too ?

Thanks by advance
for your great help ;)
French and Belgium Dealer for Acustica Audio

fr3udes
User Level V
User Level V

Post by fr3udes » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:43 am

ndarjeelingmusic wrote:Hi RjHollins,

Just to be sure (sorry for my bad english):

1) If i use your method (i use Pink noise's Tone Generator plugin from Presonus):
Could i need to leave acqua's input trim to -18dB or adjust 0db after adjust trim with VUMT please ? (is it same schedule for Eq and Compressor?)

2) if i adjust to -18LUfs EBU (with LUFS Meter Klangfreund for example) for calibrate it because seems to be more precise, is it working too ?

Thanks by advance
for your great help ;)
I'd say... do whatever you want until it sounds good. You'll know it overloads because you'll know, and if nothing really happens, that's probably because you're hitting Nebula too lightly. At the end, what works is what you like, not what you're supposed to get.

Not sure i'm helping, anyway.