Nebula on Linux...

Nebula feature suggestions
surbitone
User Level V
User Level V

Nebula on Linux...

Post by surbitone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Is there a possibility of Nebula being to ported to linux one day? LADSPA or collaboration with Ardour or something? I've got Debian servers running wine & Neb Server very happily, but having a native version would be amazing as that is the only thing stopping me switching over .

Cheers!

Just wondering :)

giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Nebula on Linux...

Post by giancarlo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:25 am

we bought ipp 7.0 for linux

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:30 am

giancarlo wrote:we bought ipp 7.0 for linux
OMG :shock: :P

MrLove
User Level I
User Level I

Post by MrLove » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 am

giancarlo wrote:we bought ipp 7.0 for linux
I can hardly wait for this! :D

MrLove
User Level I
User Level I

Post by MrLove » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:49 am

surbitone wrote:LADSPA or collaboration with Ardour or something?
LV2 is the best format for plugins. It's the successor and every DAW in linux should support it by now.

MEMFIS_AKA
User Level III
User Level III

Post by MEMFIS_AKA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 pm

2017 - Linux still need AA plugins :ugeek:

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by Jack Winter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:06 am

FWIW, N4 seems to work pretty well under the reaper for linux developer (alpha) version using the linvst wrapper. At least it's usable, but of course having the GUI rebuilt for linux (which ought to be easy seeing that it uses juce), and a native linux backend would be much better.

The biggest issue seems to be that wine D2D support still doesn't paint all the knobs, which is a pain for Acquas and the skinned N4 programs.
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.

MEMFIS_AKA
User Level III
User Level III

Post by MEMFIS_AKA » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:01 am

linux its great, powerfull OS - i hope AA port all plugins in it someday

UADSOCKsDICK
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by UADSOCKsDICK » Tue May 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Try to use nebula + AA plugins on many dist's of linux - its not run properly! One instance of TAN - kills my 8-core CPU. WHY?? Other vst's runs perfectly - but without AA and Nebula - its make no sense :cry: :cry: :cry:

reggiejaxx
User Level X
User Level X

Post by reggiejaxx » Tue May 30, 2017 1:31 pm

i think becuz uadsuxsd**x :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thierr7
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Thierr7 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:46 pm

That's great news ! I hope we'll be able to work on Linux asap !

UADSOCKsDICK
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by UADSOCKsDICK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:21 pm

One TAN kills reaper in linux with Wine Asio and all drivers in IO settings...other VSTs is fine

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by Jack Winter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:35 pm

UADSOCKsDICK wrote:One TAN kills reaper in linux with Wine Asio and all drivers in IO settings...other VSTs is fine
Patience is required :)

Cockos is working on a native linux version (a pre release is avaible for public testing) which promises to run a lot better than reaper in wine.

There is also work being done (by third parties) to create a well working wrapper that runs plugins in Wine.

Thirdly AFAIK there is still some D2D functionality missing, which means that knobs won't be properly drawn for aquas running stand alone or in N4.

N4 seems to work fine both with reaper in wine and with the native version using the LinVst wrapper.

Hopefully on the long term AA can port the backend to run on linux, and at least the N4 GUI ought to be easy as it's built with JUCE.
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.

elindiogitano
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by elindiogitano » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

+1000 for linux port.

Even though running Nebula through wine is definitely possible as suggested previously,
usage seems rather limited when it comes to the possible nbr of instances running without xruns going sky high and cpu falling into depression.
tests using different major audio oriented dist such as kxstudio / avlinux / arch passing realtimeconfigtest amongst other tweaks (including dll overrides) here show that using N4Zl or Nebula3
for tracking (low buffer size) when run through wine is far from ideal, to say the least.
most satisfactory current workaround I experienced was using a VM running netjack (AVLinux + VMWare player with correct network adapter driver) leading to on par if not better results than running nebula through windows.
However, despite the annoyance of having to setup and use a VM for the sole purpose of loading Acustica VSTs, doing so also limits possibilities.
One of linux appeals, besides ethical convictions, is not only offering users greater control for fine tuning their system to their specific needs, but also gives them the possibility
for dynamically recalling various setups in a both modular and stable environment. One could for example fairly easily switch from one pre / eq / comp /console program to another with matching respective parameter values for one given strip or a whole set of them on the fly by merely
adjusting one encoder on a control surface given for e.g. some mididings scripts + aj-snapshot recall or by simply using osc protocols. Ideal for AB testing / Live mixing / or to the demanding musician to whom quality monitoring matters.

The Audio offering on Linux has made tremendous progress over the past decade, thanks to the hard work of some dedicated developers and an ever growing community.
Perhaps one avenue where such progress hasn't been as substantial is in replicating hardware. (H******* mixbus & linuxdsp asides)
Major audio contributors such as Bitwig, Tracktion, U-he, Reaper... are now offering native products for linux.
I personally cannot see how porting nebula and acqua products wouldn't be a worthy time investment.

Sorry for stating the obvious, just very much looking forward to the day I'll read "Linux" in my dashboard.

BobRoofin77
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by BobRoofin77 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:13 pm

#linuxinAAdashboard