Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

About skinning language and skin sharing
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Large needle style meters are here! Four new skin files, Black Desk, Dual Black Desk, Small Black Desk A and Small Black Desk B.

Image
Image
Black Desk (L) Dual Black Desk (R)
Image
Black Desk Small A
Image
Black Desk Small B

You'll want to set your metering mode to VU (*METERS on the MAST page, choose 7 VU). Calibration is 0VU = -18dBFS.

You can adjust the rate of animation (*GUI RATE on the MAST page) to taste. I'm liking between 18ms and 30ms personally.

Black Desk Skin

Dual Black Desk Skin

Small Black Desk A

Small Black Desk B

Enjoy!
Last edited by ngarjuna on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:16 am, edited 8 times in total.

faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by faun2500 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:12 pm

I tell ya wot.. they look PHATT!! :shock:
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!

faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by faun2500 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:21 pm

How can I can the needle to respond quicker? What settings do I need?

Thanks.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!

User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 2:34 pm

On the MAST page, the *GUI RATE.

Which reminds me (I'll add this to the OP):

Also on the MAST page set your *METERS mode to 7 VU.

faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by faun2500 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:36 pm

The needles don't respond naturally, If I use a kick drum over 1 bar say, The meter reading is different for most hits and 'slow' to react.

Why is this? Do I have wrong settings?

Nice looking skins though,
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!

User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 2:42 pm

faun2500 wrote:The needles don't respond naturally, If I use a kick drum over 1 bar say, The meter reading is different for most hits and 'slow' to react.

Why is this? Do I have wrong settings?

Nice looking skins though,
Unlike peak meters, VU meters don't jump much with signals that are just very fast transients, it's a fairly slow meter. This is both a limitation and feature of the VU spec.

User avatar
himhui
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by himhui » Sun May 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks Ngarjuna !

Can't wait trying !!
97v4 /Win10 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.7/X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro

faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by faun2500 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:33 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
faun2500 wrote:The needles don't respond naturally, If I use a kick drum over 1 bar say, The meter reading is different for most hits and 'slow' to react.

Why is this? Do I have wrong settings?

Nice looking skins though,
Unlike peak meters, VU meters don't jump much with signals that are just very fast transients, it's a fairly slow meter. This is both a limitation and feature of the VU spec.
Ok, But shouldn't it read exactly the same each time as its just a kick drum copied for 4 beats?
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!

User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 4:39 pm

faun2500 wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:
faun2500 wrote:The needles don't respond naturally, If I use a kick drum over 1 bar say, The meter reading is different for most hits and 'slow' to react.

Why is this? Do I have wrong settings?

Nice looking skins though,
Unlike peak meters, VU meters don't jump much with signals that are just very fast transients, it's a fairly slow meter. This is both a limitation and feature of the VU spec.
Ok, But shouldn't it read exactly the same each time as its just a kick drum copied for 4 beats?
If the average (over the VU time spec) is identical for each hit, then yes. But that is rarely going to happen unless you used one drum sample over and over without variation.

Also, is your meter mode set for 7 VU? If it were set for peak it could get weird results.

User avatar
himhui
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by himhui » Sun May 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Response of the meter is fast !!
97v4 /Win10 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.7/X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro

User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by ngarjuna » Sun May 29, 2011 4:55 pm

himhui wrote:Response of the meter is fast !!
Yeah at 5ms it goes crazy fast, much faster than I like it. Which is good because you easily tune it down from there.

User avatar
himhui
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by himhui » Sun May 29, 2011 5:16 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
himhui wrote:Response of the meter is fast !!
Yeah at 5ms it goes crazy fast, much faster than I like it. Which is good because you easily tune it down from there.
I like your description "crazy"! :lol:
GUIRATE 50-60 seems appropriate for vu meter..
97v4 /Win10 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.7/X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro

RJHollins
Expert
Expert
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by RJHollins » Sun May 29, 2011 5:47 pm

You can adjust the rate of animation (*GUI RATE on the MAST page) to taste. I'm liking between 18ms and 30ms personally.
? How does this 'animation rate' relate to the 'rise and fall times' of the VU meter Standard [300 mS]?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

User avatar
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Lodi | Madrid | Buenos Aires
Contact:

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by enriquesilveti » Sun May 29, 2011 5:52 pm

RJHollins wrote:? How does this 'animation rate' relate to the 'rise and fall times' of the VU meter Standard [300 mS]?
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (W8.1 | OSX 10.10.5 | i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SSD)
SP4 ( W10 CU | i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SSD)
UFX | Digiface USB | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U16 | VM W10 FCU | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX6 | LN2C | SMAART8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | BW1 | NIK5

User avatar
Mercado_Negro
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am

Re: Ngarjuna Black Desk Skins

Post by Mercado_Negro » Sun May 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Yay! This looks awesome! Thanks ngarjuna :)

Do you accept requests? :mrgreen:

GUIRATE @ 10ms here... works great for drums!
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit

Post Reply