AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
sfunk
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by sfunk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

Alex with your programs i think i am getting insanely loud beeps when the audio overloads Nebula? Anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to stop this as it is ear/speaker damningly loud when it happens

User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 am

As I suggest in the user manual, the best way to work like "old school" is to put this VU Meter
Image
on your mixbuss, or listening room buss, as last plugin. Set the VU Meter to -18dBfs and use it to read the loudness during the mix (and also during tracking). Your point now is the 0dB VU on the VU Meter, forgot your dBfs scale. Imagine that it is your VU Meter on the console. :mrgreen:
In this way your mix will sound better and Nebula reacts like the hardware with the correct gain staging. Then you can drive nebula at your taste.

You can use the Waves Dorrough Meter also.
Image

Cheers
Alex
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:28 am

sfunk wrote:Alex with your programs i think i am getting insanely loud beeps when the audio overloads Nebula? Anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to stop this as it is ear/speaker damningly loud when it happens
If you overload Nebula is like overload the hardware. Not so good. Please refer at the user manual and at my previous post.
Thanks
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

sfunk
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by sfunk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

AlexB wrote:
sfunk wrote:Alex with your programs i think i am getting insanely loud beeps when the audio overloads Nebula? Anyone else noticed this? Is there anyway to stop this as it is ear/speaker damningly loud when it happens
If you overload Nebula is like overload the hardware. Not so good. Please refer at the user manual and at my previous post.
Thanks
Hi Alex thats fair but sometimes overloading happens by accident or for example with dynamic recordings like a vocal goes from loud to quiet. I amm not joking when i say this noise is astoundingly loud, its not like the distortion gradually occurs its simply jumps to ear/speaker splitting level. Any idea why this is?

User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm

If you tracking at the right level is quite impossible that it happens: You have 18dB of dynamic range over the 0dBVU and Nebula virtually doesn't clip. Says that, I haven't experimented this kind of noise or problem. Maybe it depends by other settings in your system, other plugins in the chain and so.
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

sfunk
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by sfunk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:08 pm

i'll test it tonight when im in the studio. I am sure there was a thrasd about loud beeping a few months ago and we seemed to agree it happened with your consoles, however i will do a thorough check with just a conole and get back to you. By the way I am setting signals going into Neb are with RMS of -18dBFS and peaking at around -6dBFS for more dynamic material.


Edit-heres the thread

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... opic#p8527

User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Yes, I have read but if you read the user manual this "problem" doesn't happen. Nebula works and reacts like the hardware, and it's like if you have this hardware in your DAW. So, if you push it too hot is not a good thing because it is like if you push the console at +18dBVU (18dB over the zero!) = non sense. Learning to work with the correct gain staging lowering the input or, better, tacking at the right levels like you should do with the hardware... It's the same thing. ;)
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

User avatar
Mercado_Negro
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by Mercado_Negro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm

anthonyw wrote:Thanks, how do you enter exact values for the settings?
By editing the XML file.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit

tb-av
User Level III
User Level III
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:23 am

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by tb-av » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:45 pm

AlexB wrote:
Learning to work with the correct gain staging lowering the input or, better, tacking at the right levels like you should do with the hardware... It's the same thing.
Do you guys track through these consoles or track clean? Also what level do you track at. I tend to aim for -10 peaks. Is that ok. Im planning to buy a console soon but still trying to figure this stuff out.

User avatar
Mimi
Member
Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by Mimi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:13 am

I read the various threads above and I decided to post An Integrated Approach to Metering, Monitoring, and Levelling Practices by Bob katz in pdf .
It is very good, and help in better understanding of this practice...I now ditched the protools and I am user reaper .
At the reaper exists a calibration K-system of Bob katz...It felt good to share this information with all.
I'm a fan of Bob katz...And it helped a lot in my transition from recording analogue to digital .
A Big hug for all :mrgreen: :lol:

follow the link below:
http://www.4shared.com/file/N060kN0Q/Bob_catz.html

sfunk
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by sfunk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 am

while i appreciate what people are saying here and i am a total advocate of tracking at conservative levels and i will use gain plugins first in the chain to bring any hot recordings or samples back down to around -18 all it takes is one mistake, slip of the mouse or for a gui volume control to jump its position and you are left with possibly damaged ears or speakers because of this nasty shrill high pitched noise. This is getting off topic but i think some sort of limiter that cuts the signal should be implemented to prevent this. Its no good to just say something similar would happen in the analogue world so deal with it because its not quite the same in terms of the audible result you get when you go over.
Last edited by sfunk on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by fuseburn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:47 am

Put a limiter after Nebula ? Master should be enough, and your ears and speakers are safe.
Those bleeps CAN definitely be scary from time to time.

anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by anthonyw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:
anthonyw wrote:Thanks, how do you enter exact values for the settings?
By editing the XML file.
Which XML file handles the settings? It seems like I've gone through all of them and can't find which one it is.

User avatar
Mercado_Negro
Expert
Expert
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by Mercado_Negro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:40 pm

anthonyw wrote:Which XML file handles the settings? It seems like I've gone through all of them and can't find which one it is.
The one sitting next to your Nebula3 Reverb.dll file.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit

anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Logic Console PRO and Modern Logic EQ PRO

Post by anthonyw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Got it, thanks!

Post Reply