Cupwise UPDATE- Casspressors

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Cupwise UPDATE- Casspressors

Post by Cupwise » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:54 am

The extra attack/release controls allow these to be used as you would a typical compressor program, but these sound much different. This is similar to my Tube FM 4 set but with cassette tapes. The site and manual tell more info about them.

There are 6 effects. 3 were sampled in stereo. 3 used other hardware and processing to add different flavor to the effects, the others were just the deck/tape. There is a wide range of sounds you can get from them. One has a relatively flat frequency response (compared to the others), and it can be used as an alternative to typical compressors if you want something a little different. The others are 'more different'.

2 demo programs are available, and there are a few mp3s to check out!

http://www.cupwise.com/CassPressorsA.php

-tim
Last edited by Cupwise on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

richie43
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- Casspressors A

Post by richie43 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 am

So I am a Nebula junkie.... I bought these sound unheard (sight unseen, without trying or demoing or listening to audio examples....). I have all or nearly all of Tim's libraries, and they are unique, cool, and well done. So when I saw this post, I grabbed them! And so fairly priced. Thanks Tim!! And I loaded up a few, they sound awesome. No sleep for Richie tonight..... :shock:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Post by prosodio » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:26 pm

That instant compression can be achieved by using VTM plugin from CdSoundmaster and I can say it´s great.... Cups, I´m way addicted to your work!!! Your libraries are great for creative work, your radios are a must for all my mixes, always in 1 o 2 aux-send in my samplitude mixer. The other day I was trying to get a really dry and impact sound from a acoustic guitar a-la-Keith Richards in jumpin jack or street fightin man and with a mix of r2r´tb+-vtm+Tfm4 the sound was lo-fi but with a lot of character!!!! Nice work....!!!

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:14 am

I've been playing with these all day on a project that was crying out for grit and interest. This is by far my favorite release by Cupwise. These are like hybrid blends of cassette saturation with some classic compressor control. I am super excited to dig in deep with these, the sonic possibilities are very exciting. And his pricing is so fair, I almost feel guilty buying them. And no, I am not trying to sell these for him, I am just stoked to use them!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:18 am

i was only going to give away one demo since there are only 6 effects, but i decided to give away 2. it's hard to fully demonstrate something like this set without giving too much away. these effects, the real essence of them is a combination of:
a)the compression effect
b)frequency response
c)distortion

with the 2 demos, you get a) and b), but not c). the distortion is pretty important to the final sound, but so is the compression and you can experience that with the demos.

Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Barendse » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:26 am

Great stuff! Nice job Tim.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:43 am

Hey Cupwise ...

just tried to DL the demos ... I getting a 'corrupt file' error ?!?! :shock:

any body else :?:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Post by vicnestE » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 am

RJHollins wrote:Hey Cupwise ...

just tried to DL the demos ... I getting a 'corrupt file' error ?!?! :shock:

any body else :?:
96KHz same here.

beingmf3
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by beingmf3 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 pm

I tried (eagerly) to open it with UniExtract, and this is the log:
Archive: G:/VB XP Shared/Nebula/CasspressorsA-demos_44k.zip
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in G:/VB XP Shared/Nebula/CasspressorsA-demos_44k.zip,
and cannot find G:/VB XP Shared/Nebula/CasspressorsA-demos_44k.zip.zip, period.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:29 pm

sorry guys. i got it fixed now, so the demos should work/unzip fine. something weird happened when i transported the files with my new usb drive, somehow they got corrupted along the way or something.

marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Post by marcpl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:34 pm

these are a no-brainer for under $10.
great job tim.

regards,
marco

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 pm

i'm sneaking a little heads up in right here. my cassette deck 1 set is about to get a pretty big update. 1st, the 'hi' and 'lo' versions of each effect are going to be combined into one program. i couldn't do that on release because of artifacts due to an issue with tapes and nebula, but i figured out a way to solve that issue when i did cassette deck 2. this means i can get more dynamic steps into a tape effect without the artifacts. 'hi' and 'lo' from CD1 get combined, and also get 'gdrv' (trim) added which will be more useful when there is more dynamic range. many of those effects have freq responses that change a lot depending on the input so this is all a pretty big improvement, in my opinion.

then, ram and hard drive usage will, i think, be cut in half (as with my tube fm1 and 2 updates). actually ram will be the same per effect, but you are getting twice as many dynamic steps, so it's half the ram per step. in other words, the size of the whole set is reduced by half. 3rd there will be 4 new programs/tapes added, sampled with lynx.

it's a big update and i'm calling it Cassette Deck 1+ on release. having to split the dynamic steps in two made me devalue the set a little on initial release, so the set will go up a few dollars when these updates come out, maybe to 14-15$ (from 12.50$ where it's at now). all current/past customers get the update free, so for anyone who ever considered the set, now would be the time to get it and save a few bucks!

edit- actually to sweeten the deal a little i'm going ahead and lowering it down to 10$ until the update...
-tim

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise UPDATE- Casspressors A

Post by Cupwise » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 pm

so just ignore everything previous in this thread since it's all pretty much obsolete info by now! :lol:

I've just updated this pretty old library and I believe this will be the last update.

Here are the updates:

* Frequency response jaggyness reduced, the same as with my recent Cassette Deck 1 and 2 updates.

* Dropped the 'A' from the original library name- "Casspressors A". I originally thought I might do more of these, but I really doubt it now.

* SHQ versions added, with increased frequency response accuracy.

* Programs are using the more recent method I've been using in my compressor programs, which is faster and more accurate.

* Impulses have all been looked at and edited by me. Fixed lots of little minor issues, too many to list or remember. End result is the dynamic behavior is a little better.

* Moved to a new category name in Nebula, CT (TC, for Tape Compression).

* Completely re-did the attack/release behaviors of the programs. They now use 4 different sets of behaviors, taken from 4 of my compressor releases, and which are using the most up to date adjustments (the Rayphlex attack/release behavior is updated).

* Set each program to use different detector types as well as feedback/feedforward signal ratios for the detection path, to increase variety in the sound across the effects.

* Got rid of all of the alternate programs in the various sub-categories. Now there are just two programs for each sampled tape effect. The main one, and a secondary version, which uses alternate attack/release behaviors from a different compressor than the first one, as well as different detector modes, and feedback/feedforward signal ratios.

* Lots of harmonic samples were removed, which had no actual impusle (it had fallen below the noise floor). Some kerns were removed too, when the harmonics just weren't contributing anything.

* Added Wet/Dry control. It's pretty cool.

* Probably lots of other things little that I don't remember.

tomheavybeats
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Cupwise UPDATE- Casspressors

Post by tomheavybeats » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks Tim, downloaded and had a quick test. These are great sounding as usual. SHQ programmes are a total no go for me though CPU wise, even on my brand new alienware monster spec desktop. Is there something I need to set first? What system do you run them on and do they play fine?

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise UPDATE- Casspressors

Post by Cupwise » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 pm

i think i forgot to mention that the manual has been updated, but the SHQ answer you seek is covered in the new manual. they're like the SHQ programs for my comps.