Love his libraries, but use workarounds to avoid low end ripple
13%
Used to use his libraries, but not anymore because of low end ripple
53%

Total votes: 32

Mplay

AlexB libraries and low end ripple

Post by Mplay » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:18 pm

First let me say I love AlexB libraries and still use them all the time, but the libraries have a low end ripple in the frequency spectrum that makes especially stacking libraries unusable for full mixes and other bass heavy material. I now use workarounds to avoid these problems, but ideally the libraries would need fixing. I would love some insight from the community to get an idea how this is viewed

Edit: Seems AlexB is updating his libraries, which is great news. Just want to add as well that the issue is not exclusive to AlexB, but as some other popular devs had been able to avoid the ripple, it was his libraries that got focused on in this topic
Last edited by Mplay on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

plexus

Re: AlexB libraries and low end ripple

Post by plexus » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 pm

I have a lot of AlexB's libraries and I am aware of and acknowledge the low end ripple problem. I've even reached out to DDMF for validation of Plugin Doctor in this regard. There is no issue with Plugin Doctor - the ripple is real.

However your poll choices don't match my use of the libraries: I use them but without workarounds - I use them now knowing what the effects might be - if there are too many audible artifacts I discontinue use and find other tools. To my ears the ripple causes a kind of "puffy, pillow-y" low end.

I wish he'd stop making excuses for the ripple and fix the libraries. We know from TimP that this can be done.

martijnvandongen
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by martijnvandongen » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:21 am

Bought the German Master Console SP79 and noticed this ripple too. Had some stuff on my list for BF, mainly EQs but will drop them from my list.

darkskar
User Level V
User Level V

Post by darkskar » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Mplay wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:18 pm
First let me say I love AlexB libraries and still use them all the time, but the libraries have a low end ripple in the frequency spectrum that makes especially stacking libraries unusable for full mixes and other bass heavy material. I now use workarounds to avoid these problems, but ideally the libraries would need fixing. I would love some insight from the community to get an idea how this is viewed
Hi there!
I love the AlexB libraries (specially consoles) and have no idea of what the low end ripple is.
I don't speak very good english but I try to understand: What is exactly the low end ripple problem? What are the workarounds to avoid it?

plexus

Post by plexus » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 pm

darkskar wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm
Hi there!
I love the AlexB libraries (specially consoles) and have no idea of what the low end ripple is.
I don't speak very good english but I to understand:

What is exactly the low end ripple problem?
What are the workarounds to avoid it?
With certain programs the low end has a wavey frequency response. You can see an example of this in the screen shot in this post:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=7784

Here is one method to try and mitigate it:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... count=7899

darkskar
User Level V
User Level V

Post by darkskar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 am

Thanks for the reply, plexus, I will investigate a bit about it
Cheers!

AlexB
Expert
Expert

Post by AlexB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 am

Unfortunately this trick fix the graphics but not the sound, as I have written on a newsletter... i.e. the resulted sound is not close at the sampled hardware. Sorry.

I'm working at this issue BUT in a different way than other developers or forum trickers. 8-)

PS. About stacking and how to use correctly the libraries... PLEASE READ the user manual.
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

plexus

Post by plexus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 am

AlexB wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 am
Unfortunately this trick fix the graphics but not the sound, as I have written on a newsletter... i.e. the resulted sound is not close at the sampled hardware. Sorry.

I'm working at this issue BUT in a different way than other developers or forum trickers. 8-)

PS. About stacking and how to use correctly the libraries... PLEASE READ the user manual.
Don't believe this. There is no way that low end ripple is "ok". It's right there in front of you - the abberations are right there. It's not a problem with the analysis tool - it's a problem with the Nebula libraries.

Here is an example from MFC G.Buss Clean. These sonic abberations are in many AlexB and others libraries. TimP has put effort into cleaning this up his libraries. You may want to try demo programs if you can get them to see how they perform.

Frequency response

Phase

AlexB
Expert
Expert

Post by AlexB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:19 pm

plexus wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 am
AlexB wrote:

Don't believe this. There is no way that low end ripple is "ok". It's right there in front of you - the abberations are right there. It's not a problem with the analysis tool - it's a problem with the Nebula libraries.

Here is an example from MFC G.Buss Clean. These sonic abberations are in many AlexB and others libraries. TimP has put effort into cleaning this up his libraries. You may want to try demo programs if you can get them to see how they perform.

:?: :?: :?:
I speak for MY libraries. What works for other devs it would be able to not work for mine.
As said: increasing FREQD made the sound far from the sampled hardware. I'm working in another way to improve the audio quality and suppress the ripple. i.e. not only by calibrate the FREQD but by improving the sampling quality also.
It takes A LOT of time but the libraries will be updated soon. ;)

Sorry, I don't use the forums for some reasons... I haven't time and looking above it seems that I'm not able to write and read correctly. Sorry.
I give a very quick email service for support. Please use it if you need. Thanks 8-)
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

thefastaction
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by thefastaction » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:50 am

AlexB wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:19 pm
plexus wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 am
AlexB wrote:

:?: :?: :?:
I speak for MY libraries. What works for other devs it would be able to not work for mine.
As said: increasing FREQD made the sound far from the sampled hardware. I'm working in another way to improve the audio quality and suppress the ripple. i.e. not only by calibrate the FREQD but by improving the sampling quality also.
It takes A LOT of time but the libraries will be updated soon. ;)

Sorry, I don't use the forums for some reasons... I haven't time and looking above it seems that I'm not able to write and read correctly. Sorry.
I give a very quick email service for support. Please use it if you need. Thanks 8-)
:D That’s great news!

plexus

Post by plexus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:31 am

AlexB wrote:

AlexB, my mistake. I apologize. I misunderstood your post above. I am reading it now with fresh eyes and I see what you are saying. You are talking about the method some have used to fix the ripple. I totally misunderstood you, sorry! I will leave my post below as-is so people can follow along.

I see what you mean now by "tricksters" etc. That makes sense! One of the proposed solutions to the ripple to manipulate the length of the kernel (sample). This can reduce ripple but then you are, I think, reducing the bandwidth and/or resolution of the sample. So what AlexB is saying makes sense.

It's good to know you are working on a solution to the ripple. Your libraries sound very nice except for, what I hear as, a soft unfocused bottom end. Since I don't have a corresponding AlexB library without to ripple to compare it to, I can only hypothesize that its because of the ripple. I don't hear the same unfocused sound with libraries that are ripple free.

Kiddo
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by Kiddo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks Alex, waiting patiently for your updates! :)

leckel1996
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by leckel1996 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:14 am

This is very exciting. Already love S432, MMeQ, and A5M but would feel much better about using multiple instances in a mastering situation knowing nothing weird is happening to the frequency response.
N4, Pink2, Azure, Crimson, Lemon, Ivory3, Ebony, Gold, Pearl2, Navy, Sand, Scarlet3, White2, Purple P-1

emilieitor
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by emilieitor » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 pm

An analog equalizer is not the same as a digital equalizer where the curves are perfect, in the analog equalizer, especially the vintage ones, they are irregular and imperfect, as we can see in the Pultec equalizers, for example here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... for-pultec

Where a low boost shelf causes a subtractive equalization in mids, or the same 1073 here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/N**e-1073n

Where it is observed that the curve eq is irregular and not linear.

So, the important thing is what the ear dictates and not the graphics. Always.

plexus

Post by plexus » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:07 pm

emilieitor wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 pm
An analog equalizer is not the same as a digital equalizer where the curves are perfect, in the analog equalizer, especially the vintage ones, they are irregular and imperfect, as we can see in the Pultec equalizers, for example here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... for-pultec

Where a low boost shelf causes a subtractive equalization in mids, or the same 1073 here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/N**e-1073n

Where it is observed that the curve eq is irregular and not linear.

So, the important thing is what the ear dictates and not the graphics. Always.
If the N4 program matches the hardware, then the N4 program is fine. If the N4 program has abberations compared to the hardware and can be measured, it is not acceptable.

I can hear the effects of low end N4 ripple. It makes the bottom end less focused and "pillow-y". You devs need to fix this and stop making excuses for it. It would not be acceptable in hardware and it is not acceptable in software, unless it's something the hardware is doing as well.