C254-E Compressor & Limiter - Cupwise Release - With Free Demo Programs!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

C254-E Compressor & Limiter - Cupwise Release - With Free Demo Programs!

Post by Cupwise » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:05 am

Introducing C254-E, in my opinion an amazing sounding new compressor & limiter release, easily among my best yet. Comes with some really nice skins for use with both N3 and N4. There's some info at the site, as well as a pic of the skin, some audio demos as usual, and a demo program (both 44.1khz and 96khz).

The demo program is the same as the full version of the compressor, but I took all but one ratio setting out of it (3:1), reduced the range of the release control a little, and removed the wet/dry mixer control. Other than that it works exactly like the full version. So download that and check it out.

http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/c254-e-c ... r-limiter/

I always try to come up with something new or different when I do these releases, so here are a couple of new additions to my formula-

a) The skins actually show you the exact digital value that you have selected, instead of forcing you to rely on the numbers/markings around the virtual knobs on the GUI. This allows you to actually know exactly what you're doing when you're making small adjustments/fine tuning. Imo, this is much better.

b) The lite programs in this release use much less CPU than in my other recent comp releases. They are using an inferior method which can cause ringing artifacts with bassy inputs, so you definitely don't want to render with them, but in many/most cases they sound OK to audition/mix with until rendering. The actual compression you get should match the full and shq versions very closely, so your settings with lite versions should translate over to those versions well when you're ready to render. CPU use of lite versions is almost negligible, so you could have many many instances running in your mix.

As always my N3 skins have buttons that allow you to switch between lite, full, shq with a single click and without losing your settings, so the changes to lite really shine the most there. Unfortunately N4 skin language doesn't allow for this, so I can't do it there, but if you look in my manual there are tips for a somewhat easy way to get the same result even in N4.

Check it out!
http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/c254-e-c ... r-limiter/

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: C254-E Compressor & Limiter - Cupwise Release - With Free Demo Programs!

Post by Cupwise » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:15 am

There's a temporary bundle I just made, that combines this new comp and my previous comp release- SmackVU. Two great comps, both great character pieces, both with many uses, combined together for a discount of around 16% off the total price. BONUS- I'm also throwing in a recent reverb release of mine- Reelverb-1, for FREE, in that bundle. So that's on top of the discount. And if you already have Reelverb you can email/contact me about it and I can give you a few other similarly priced options for the bonus.
Here's the bundle:
http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/limited-time-bundle/

I also wanted to post a pic of the skin right here so you can see how the digital readouts look, and see the skin! So here it is:
Last edited by Cupwise on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 am

hi tim, arys from taiwan. this one is an instant new favorite! just put it on the mixbus and 10 secs later it already sounds better than the previous master com i used. it really has this bad-ass attitude when pushed hard, although i know this is not what the original hardware is famous for.

i don't have too many nebula compressors, but no one i have sounds like this.

thanks for the "almost-full" demo version. i feel that the best settings for this mix should be 2:1 / release at 0.065s, neither is available in the demo version, instead of the one i'm using at 3:1 / [email protected] (double time for the correct "breathing curve"), and wet/dry @ 90:10 should be better, but it's enough to get the idea.

great idea on the exact digital value too. to me it makes more sense.

it's a pity that the n4 automation trick for switching lite / full / shq does not apply with pro tools. but it doesn't stop me from buying it.

thanks for the great library.

KuulArt
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by KuulArt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am

Just tried the demo on a singer songwriter mix where I needed big, heavy vocal. And this just worked perfectly, the skin is amazing too. I used the TimP Vari Level before on that particular track but that did not get me thickness I wanted.

Looking at the bundle now - how does the smack compares to the n60 by timp?

Thank you!

Shibata
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by Shibata » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 pm

The demo is Awesome! Very nice tone and level of control the units. Must have comp!
Congratulations +)

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:15 pm

deepwhite wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 am
hi tim, arys from taiwan. this one is an instant new favorite! just put it on the mixbus and 10 secs later it already sounds better than the previous master com i used. it really has this bad-ass attitude when pushed hard, although i know this is not what the original hardware is famous for.
glad to hear it!
deepwhite wrote:
thanks for the "almost-full" demo version. i feel that the best settings for this mix should be 2:1 / release at 0.065s, neither is available in the demo version, instead of the one i'm using at 3:1 / [email protected] (double time for the correct "breathing curve"), and wet/dry @ 90:10 should be better, but it's enough to get the idea.
yeah, i was thinking that 2:1 would probably be the more commonly useful ratio setting... but that's exactly why i chose 3:1 for the demo. I didn't want to give away the.. probably 'usually best' setting (maybe i'm wrong about that though). as for the release, the .1 setting is the lowest one sampled from the hardware, and the demo offers from .1 to .2. i think the hardware settings were .1 .2 and .8 or something? i can't remember. so i wanted to make sure to include a range that's actually from the hardware in the demo, whereas .065s would be getting more into 'what if' territory. but yeah i do think it's nice to go down below .1s which is why the full version allows going down to .05. anyway i had hoped the demo, even with its limitations would be good enough to get the idea across.

deepwhite wrote:
it's a pity that the n4 automation trick for switching lite / full / shq does not apply with pro tools. but it doesn't stop me from buying it.
yeah that is a shame. i had no idea about that. wish there was something i could do about this situation but there really isn't.
Shibata wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 pm
The demo is Awesome! Very nice tone and level of control the units. Must have comp!
Congratulations +)
thanks and glad you feel that way!
KuulArt wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am
Just tried the demo on a singer songwriter mix where I needed big, heavy vocal. And this just worked perfectly, the skin is amazing too.
Thanks, really glad it worked well for you! as for your question about the comparison i can't really answer that. but i do think that even CDSM did a similar comp release. my understanding is that the one i did was 'based on' a different model than either of them used for theirs (mine is based on the first model, which works and sounds very different). that probably doesn't help but it's all i can say about it. i like the skin too, and it's really nice to finally be able to use it after sitting on it for 5 years!

------------------------------------------
anyone having any trouble running the demo program? someone just emailed me saying it won't show up in nebula 4.

i think it should even show up in the free neb 4 player version of nebula.

Gorgol
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Gorgol » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Great news!
Will try the demo asap.

I never knew you had an SHQ switch in the skins.

Does C660 have a Nebula3 skin?
If not, could I get an other skin with an SHQ switch for that?

Do you still advocate SHQ for C660 rendering as a comp/limiter?
(I read something about the passthroughs not needing it so much)
Last edited by Gorgol on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 pm

c660 does not have an n3 skin currently. i am hoping to get that whole library upgraded one day, and with a set of n3 and n4 skins.

SHQ with c660 as it is now, is more of an improvement in quality over full/lite than SHQ is with my more recent comps (over full version anyway). because c660 is using the older style of compressor programs 'under the hood', for lite and full. the SHQ is using basically the same thing as my SHQ modes still use, and also what the newer full versions use (but with less kern length).

in other words, if you get C254E and use full versions while mixing, it's not really super important for you to use SHQ. the main improvement is that the SHQ versions will have a more accurate freq response, but it's barely changed and probably not even perceptible. it also adds a few more harmonics which maybe in some cases (smashing input) will be almost sort of perceptible but again usually not. with c660 the difference is a lot bigger, between full and shq (much better attack in SHQ for one thing). it will be like that until i can get around to upgrading it. then full c660 will be higher quality, closer to SHQ (at a cost of additional CPU, but i think it's worth it).

as for passthroughs, i used to do shq for them but yeah i realized it's kind of pointless. only in some cases like where there's still a lot of non-linear activity, like an overdriven pre. i still include an SHQ version of the overdriven pass-through with rayphlex mk2 (which i just updated), for example.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:47 pm

only a few days left on the introductory price offer.

Gorgol
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Gorgol » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:24 am

Bought it!

I love the comp action and sound on this C254.
The lite/full/shq switches are very nice, just click SHQ and print it.

N3 skin install was not easy as pie but that's been solved now with Tim C's help

The "Lying N3 skin bug after saving & reopening the project" I can easily get used to.
Not a problem when you know of it.

Some N3-skin issues with the Limiter were fixed within hours.

The -just received- new N3 Limiter skin works fine, switches and all.
Last edited by Gorgol on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:04 pm

a couple points about the n3 skins.

a couple of people have recently mentioned to me that the n3 comp skins load the wrong programs upon re-loading a saved project in their DAW. this isn't actually the case. what happens is, the skin selector switches/indicator lies to you. this is a bug with the nebula skinning language and the way these switches were implemented and i'm pretty sure there's nothing i can do to fix it myself.

so what happens (and this happens in all of my comps that have n3 skins) is that when you reload the project, the skin will claim to be loading a program that may not be what you saved with. it's usually the first program in the top row of switches (which is usually the first one that the skin 'scans' upon loading, in the setup .xml in the 'setups' folder). with C254-E, this happens to be the 44.1khz lite program. but if you saved with something else, the program you saved with is what it actually just loaded when you reopened that daw project.

so if you saved with 96khz full and reload and it says it's on 44.1khz lite, it's lying to you. you can prove this for yourself by temporarily removing (in this case) the 44.1khz lite c264-e program before reloading the project in your DAW. if it really were loading that program, it wouldn't be able to, and all of the controls would be fixed at fully counterclockwise, which is what happens when it fails to load a program. that won't happen though, because it's actually loading just fine with the program you saved with (96khz full). conversely you can try temporarily removing the 96khz full program before reloading that project, and then it WILL fail to load, as just described.

so basically, you should just ignore it and trust that it loaded the program you saved with.

the second point is that apparently the limiter n3 skin doesn't work properly. the switches don't do anything! ARRRHGGGG. i could have sworn i checked and double checked everything before release. somehow i must have made a last second change that screwed up this skin. so i'm going to have to fix it and send links to the fixed n3 limiter skin as soon as possible.
Last edited by Cupwise on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

emilieitor
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by emilieitor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Other library of the Ne*e 22*4, the are two libraries more of this hardware. I´ve been waiting libraries of some fundamental compressor like E*pirical Lab* Distress*r about 7 years ago.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 am

emilieitor wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:10 pm
Other library of the Ne*e 22*4, the are two libraries more of this hardware. I´ve been waiting libraries of some fundamental compressor like E*pirical Lab* Distress*r about 7 years ago.
fair enough. i've had this comp and skin on my hard drive for over 5yrs now so i guess i just wanted to finally get them out there so i could feel i got something out of them. i may or may not push to get my last 2 or 3 comps (that i've already sampled, also 5+yrs ago) out. i want to, but at this rate it feels like i'm really just kind of doing it for myself. which i'm actually ok with. i want them so i can use them myself, and if i put them out there and get some sales that's nice too. it is what it is.

but there's no way i'm going to go investing in sampling some other comp unless sales just magically reappeared which won't happen. i just don't see good sales coming out of just about anything nebula related. i'm really not sure that would be any different even if i were still an official 3rd party developer either. not only that but there are just too many limitations with nebula (3 and 4) to do that comp you mentioned any real justice. acquas can do it but they can customize those to actually allow more features that a nebula dev simply doesn't have access to. so if i were to take that comp on, it'd result in a library with several clunky, crippled, disjointed 'modules' in place of a gui with switches to switch between settings. filters in the detector are just not possible except with acquas (or not available to me with my current dev status if they *are* doable in n4). if i did a release based on that comp it would probably still sound and work good for what was there but end up getting maybe 40 sales after a year, and i'd probably have to have it on sale at discounted price to get most of those. no thanks.

plexus
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by plexus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Cupwise wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 am
i just don't see good sales coming out of just about anything nebula related.
I hear you Tim. I did buy your C254-E because I like the way you do your libraries and I like how they sound. But I've generally stopped buying libraries because Nebula has so many problems that get in the way of my workflow. If they fixed these issues and made Nebula usable the way it was intended, then perhaps I'd get back to adding to my libraries. I can only use Nebula so much before my 12-core system bogs down and I can't get anything done. As it is now there is no way I can charge for my time when using Nebula because it slows my workflow down so much - I use it for my own work or for work where budget is not an issue. Alas. It's good backend technology but the front end experience is one of the worst. :ugeek:

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:33 pm

just wanted to point out that i'm putting this one back on sale until the end of august. $4 off the full price