Mantis PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
cjperez
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Mantis PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Post by cjperez » Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Wonderfully smooth compressor Stedal... You've done good my friend....

(ps: i've mentioned this on the gearslutz thread already (mustream) but had to show some love here as well.... :) )
Intel Core i7 5820k 3.3ghz. 32gigs Ram, Samsung SSD, MSI X99A motherboard, Cubase 8, H******* Mixbus 3.3 & 2.5, Antelope Audio Zen Studio & Yamaha N8 Mixers. Win. 7 64 bit.

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Re: Mantis PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Post by SteDal » Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm

:D :D :D

Yes, I saw the post... Thanks again!
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 5.977

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 am

Hi, just a quick heads-up.

I'm currently publishing on the Tube a few demo videos showing Mantis doing its thing on various sources.

For the time being, I've uploaded a Master Bus demo and a Drum Subgroup demo.

Other videos will follow shortly.
Since I'm quite a newbie in this peculiar visual art, any suggestion is mostly welcome!

flaviusr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by flaviusr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 am

SteDal wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 am
Hi, just a quick heads-up.

I'm currently publishing on the Tube a few demo videos showing Mantis doing its thing on various sources.

For the time being, I've uploaded a Master Bus demo and a Drum Subgroup demo.

Other videos will follow shortly.
Since I'm quite a newbie in this peculiar visual art, any suggestion is mostly welcome!
Great song on the master bus, great example!
Dual boot /LGA 2011 /i7 3820 /32 GB /GA-X79S-UP5 / osX 10.9.5 - Win 10
Mac Book Pro 2.4 Ghz / 8 Gb / osX 10.9.5
Prism Sound Lyra 2 - RME-Fireface UCX - Octamic XTC
Nebula 4 Cubase Pro 9.5 Wavelab Pro 9.5 Reaper 5.975 Ozone 8 Pro Tools 12.5

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 am

Good stuff SteDal.

MANTIS continues as an excellent, so easy to setup and work with compressor.

Nice how it brings the background up into the mix, providing essential BODY to a Mix.

MANTIS has earned the place on most every Mastering session I've had since its' release.
I often have it doing 1dB of compression ... sometimes more. I just like how easy it is to setup the 'rhythmic' compression action.

It just performs with the Track in such a complimentary manner.

Nice to hear it in action on a Drum Bus. I don't get to work with those elements much now ... kinda miss that part of Mix Engineering.

Mantis should be essential in anyone's arsenal.

8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Acusticaaudiouser33 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi,
Mantis (trial) is the only plugin that tells me 'bad password' at the end of the 14 mb download with latest Aquarius. What does that mean and what am I doing wrong?
thanks!

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Acusticaaudiouser33 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:34 pm
Hi,
Mantis (trial) is the only plugin that tells me 'bad password' at the end of the 14 mb download with latest Aquarius. What does that mean and what am I doing wrong?
thanks!
Sorry to hear about your problem. Honestly, I don't seem to remember anything similar in the last months.

However, for any authorization-related question you should send a ticket to Support @Acustica, because this side of the distribution is handled directly by AA.

Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Acusticaaudiouser33 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks for your quick reply! Ok, will do so : o )

(btw: didn't you also do the Emerald plugin? It really is one of the very best Aquas with very nice transformers it seems and I am quite surprised when I switch between Emerald and Ruby how they compare… doing this right now here. I'll have to check if there are also some tubes in Emerald as there really is a nice depth coming with Emerald.)

regards

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Acusticaaudiouser33 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 pm
Thanks for your quick reply! Ok, will do so : o )

(btw: didn't you also do the Emerald plugin? It really is one of the very best Aquas with very nice transformers it seems and I am quite surprised when I switch between Emerald and Ruby how they compare… doing this right now here. I'll have to check if there are also some tubes in Emerald as there really is a nice depth coming with Emerald.)

regards
No tubes in Emerald. If memory serves me well, there are two selectable pre-amps: a vintage model (complete with massive tranformers) and a more modern, cleaner one.
Both are discrete solid-state devices, though.

Anyway, I'm really glad you like Emerald. And please be sure to check also my newest library for N4: PURETEQ BUNDLE.

And here's the trial version.

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DarkandKurious » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 am

Hi SteDal, is there a chance you will update Mantis to be an Acqua Library, like the HenryQ and the Pureteq?
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:35 pm

DarkandKurious wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 am
Hi SteDal, is there a chance you will update Mantis to be an Acqua Library, like the HenryQ and the Pureteq?
...guess what...
I'm just working on that! And even something more.

DarkandKurious
User Level X
User Level X

Post by DarkandKurious » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Also working on something new? That is exciting :D
macOS Sierra, ProTools 12.8
Navy, Purple, Pink 2412/7236, Ultramarine, Coral, Lime, Pearl, Diamond, Gold, Cobalt, Ebony

loji
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by loji » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 pm

SteDal wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am
@deepwhite: in Nebulaland there's no need for compressors to have different versions for each sample rate.

Differently from equalizers and preamps, compressors are SR-unaware, so it's perfectly fine if you're working at 96K and see 44.1 on the display.
@SteDal : why are compressors sample-rate unaware? but EQ/pre does matter ... is the Volterra Kernal somehow just used to make a envelop? and no audio is actually passing through them?

Are you saying that there is no background SRC (on either the program audio, or the kernels) in Mantis? Trying to understand it's limits and when best to utilize it in my mastering sessions

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:45 am

loji wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 pm
SteDal wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am
@deepwhite: in Nebulaland there's no need for compressors to have different versions for each sample rate.

Differently from equalizers and preamps, compressors are SR-unaware, so it's perfectly fine if you're working at 96K and see 44.1 on the display.
@SteDal : why are compressors sample-rate unaware? but EQ/pre does matter ... is the Volterra Kernal somehow just used to make a envelop? and no audio is actually passing through them?

Are you saying that there is no background SRC (on either the program audio, or the kernels) in Mantis? Trying to understand it's limits and when best to utilize it in my mastering sessions
@loji:

For an exhaustive technical explanation I'm afraid you'll have to wait for some whiz kid from Acustica to chime in, given that every Acqua dynamic processor behaves like that.

FWIK, audio actually does pass through the VVKT engine in any Nebula-based compressor, but since in the end we're dealing only with volume changes, only Diracs (single-sample impulses of varying amplitudes) are employed in the process. This makes unnecessary any SRC, since a Dirac stays exactly the same at any SR.

So, as long as there are no additional stages involved (such as equalizers, filters or preamps), a 'pure' compressor can be safely used at any SR.
With no GR happening (and no other gain boost/attenuation set), the signal you get at the output should be bit to bit identical to the one entering the processor.