Mantis PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
SteDal
Expert
Expert

Mantis PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Post by SteDal » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MANTIS PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Introductory price is 65€ (more than 15% off).

MANTIS is part of the MetaWare product line (see below) and models a device that was expressly designed and built with the creation of a N4 library in mind. Its sonic behavior has been especially optimized with a view to produce a program that could replicate all its desiderable musical features, yet without the inevitable drawbacks of the analog realm, such as unwanted distortion, noise, lack of repeatability, etc.

MANTIS PWM compressor is characterized by an extremely wide knee and a uniquely engaging musical action that always seems to 'bounce' along with the signal in an inspiring and complimentary fashion. Mantis can morph from almost invisible all the way to downright sonic abuse. It can act quite fast, since the minimum attack time is 0.1 mSec, still it always seems to mantain a certain musicality with its transparent and forgiving attitude… Unless it is set to “Nuke”, that is. The rightmost position of the Ratio control can produce a negative compression action that in a way reminds the well known All-Buttons-In setting of the 1176-type devices.

MANTIS comes with a streamlined, clear 2D GUI and includes two programs: the regular one, precisely MANTIS, and an external side-chain enabled one, MANTIS_SC. In this case, the sidechain signal must be sent to inputs n. 3 & 4, as is the norm with Acqua/Nebula compressors.

MANTIS started as an experiment just out of technical curiosity, but eventually the way this circuit worked and sounded made it worth of being sampled and offered in a convenient N4 library format.
MANTIS will surely find its place of honor in many mixing and mastering chains.

Commercial version available here.

Fully functioning 30-day trial version available here.

In both links you can find the manual in the download section, at the bottom of the page.

Please note: as is the case with all Acqua plug-ins, also trial and commercial versions of Mantis aren't presently compatible.
If you plan to buy Mantis after testing the trial version, you'll have to manually transfer all your settings to the former from the latter. For this reason it is advisable to:
- buy the commercial version before the trial period expires or
- save a screenshot of your settings (or alternatively write them down).

MetaWare – Augmented Reality Acqua Libraries

MetaWare = “Beyond the Hard/Software”. A series of Acqua/Nebula libraries for N4 by SoundDrops based on an innovative concept. Proprietary hardware processors are specifically conceived, designed and built from the ground up with the creation of N4 libraries in mind.

Great care then is taken during the sampling and deconvolving process. Thanks to Acustica’s innovative technology, each aspect of the device’s behavior (frequency and phase response, harmonic and dynamic action and so on) can be separately sampled and then reassembled in an optimized form. The final outcome is a series of extremely clean and noiseless vectors, as it is easily apparent from the resulting response plots.

This procedure allows the creation of virtual machines that would be plainly impossible (or, at least, extremely unpractical) to build in the real world; a series of consistent and dependable digital processors that yet retain all the great sonic traits of real world analog hardware, down to the tiniest detail.
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 5.977

flaviusr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Mantis PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Post by flaviusr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Great release SteDal, as always very precise and pristine work.
Keep bringing those MetaWare gems, great concept!
Dual boot /LGA 2011 /i7 3820 /32 GB /GA-X79S-UP5 / osX 10.9.5 - Win 10
Mac Book Pro 2.4 Ghz / 8 Gb / osX 10.9.5
Prism Sound Lyra 2 - RME-Fireface UCX - Octamic XTC
Nebula 4 Cubase Pro 9.5 Wavelab Pro 9.5 Reaper 5.975 Ozone 8 Pro Tools 12.5

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Mantis PWM compressor, the first creation by Acqua/Nebula 3rd party developer SoundDrops, is out!

Post by babiuk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 am

I installed in aquarius but I can not find the programs in N4, neither the manual, the link here for it is not working.
Any help?

EDIT: I had to reauthorise it and now I see the DYN category in N4. Anyway the link for manual here is not working, I got it from here: http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/pro ... ntis-trial
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 am

babiuk wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 am
I installed in aquarius but I can not find the programs in N4, neither the manual, the link here for it is not working.
Any help?

EDIT: I had to reauthorise it and now I see the DYN category in N4. Anyway the link for manual here is not working, I got it from here: http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/pro ... ntis-trial
@babiuk: Yes, my bad..! :oops:

Those links to box.com can't be publicly shared... I'm correcting my first post, thanks.

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 am

wow i love the mantis. very easy to get the desired sound and compression action.

i found that it's 44.1kHz for the trial version. will there be 96kHz too in the commercial version? thanks.

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am

deepwhite wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 am
wow i love the mantis. very easy to get the desired sound and compression action.

i found that it's 44.1kHz for the trial version. will there be 96kHz too in the commercial version? thanks.
@deepwhite: in Nebulaland there's no need for compressors to have different versions for each sample rate.

Differently from equalizers and preamps, compressors are SR-unaware, so it's perfectly fine if you're working at 96K and see 44.1 on the display.

deepwhite
User Level II
User Level II

Post by deepwhite » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 am

SteDal wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am
@deepwhite: in Nebulaland there's no need for compressors to have different versions for each sample rate.

Differently from equalizers and preamps, compressors are SR-unaware, so it's perfectly fine if you're working at 96K and see 44.1 on the display.
Thanks. Then it's really very CPU-efficient while sounding good and versatile at the same time.

zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Post by zabukowski » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Dope GUI and great sound ... congratulations, keep them comin' :)

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 am

Really liking MANTIS.

What other 3rd party libraries are available now that will work with N4 Player ??

cheers

Arne

Post by Arne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm

More testing of Mantis..
When saving a Project in with N4 - Mantis the plugin dialog loose its GUI and loads into default VST parameter dialog box when re-loaded

Best

SteDal
Expert
Expert

Post by SteDal » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Arne wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm
More testing of Mantis..
When saving a Project in with N4 - Mantis the plugin dialog loose its GUI and loads into default VST parameter dialog box when re-loaded

Best
Mmh... Please specify: which DAW, OS/bits..?

Here everything works as expected (Win10/Reaper64b).
I've been using Mantis for months and never had such a problem.

Arne

Post by Arne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 pm

Samplitude Pro X3 Suite on Windows 10 lastest update x64
I will test more to see if it is project depended or if I am able to recreate the issue
Will report back shortly

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Beatworld wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 am
Really liking MANTIS.

What other 3rd party libraries are available now that will work with N4 Player ??

cheers
afaik, there is bronze eq available. it is an acqua running in N4 only.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:50 am

mathias wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 pm
Beatworld wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 am
Really liking MANTIS.

cheers
afaik, there is bronze eq available. it is an acqua running in N4 only.
Thanks Mathias, that looks like the answer at present.

Flohre
User Level III
User Level III

Post by Flohre » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:53 am

wonderful sounding compressor! Great work
I´m wondering why i can´t make an own mantis Instance by using setups. I tried yesterday. Didn´t work
System: Windows 10/x64, Pre: 2x F*******e Liquid Channel, Apollo Twin USB, DAW: Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 9.5, Samplitude ProX3, Plugins: Nebula 4/Aqua, 2x F*******e Liquid Mix