L-bus released!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Re: L-bus released!!!

Post by Tim Petherick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:11 pm

ok we just put out a new version with today's date on it.

We think it may of solved the threshold issue for some of you.....
we tested and found something that happened to pass the beta's, so probably unlucky for some.

If you want to install please replace all files, clear your temp and reload

cg14om
User Level II
User Level II

Post by cg14om » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:18 am

Tim, wonderful work. These last several releases are astounding.

My apologies for the noob question, but I'm wondering if the compression action will still work effectively when the kernels are switched from timed to freqd on the kernel page. I have a laptop that I travel with that simply can't handle even a single instance when the compressors are in default settings.

Thanks.

IAMCRISIS
User Level I
User Level I

Post by IAMCRISIS » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Anybody having issues with the meter on L-BUSS acting funny? For me, the meter rises slowly when no audio is playing and stays pinned at -20db on the meter. When audio is playing the meter moves the way it's supposed to and then just rises slowly and then moves normally every few seconds. The N4 Meters barely move either. they just stay lit at whatever level the audio is at. Only happens with L-BUSS. It's causing my cpu to spike every time the meter rises slow while audio is playing. Sounds really good though. It's just the meter acting funny. I changed my GUI rate to 25.0 ms and to 81.0 ms and I get the same thing. I'm running the latest version of N4 in Pro Tools 12.

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:35 pm

IAMCRISIS wrote:Anybody having issues with the meter on L-BUSS acting funny? For me, the meter rises slowly when no audio is playing and stays pinned at -20db on the meter. When audio is playing the meter moves the way it's supposed to and then just rises slowly and then moves normally every few seconds. The N4 Meters barely move either. they just stay lit at whatever level the audio is at. Only happens with L-BUSS. It's causing my cpu to spike every time the meter rises slow while audio is playing. Sounds really good though. It's just the meter acting funny. I changed my GUI rate to 25.0 ms and to 81.0 ms and I get the same thing. I'm running the latest version of N4 in Pro Tools 12.
Yeah, exactly the same thing here. But not the CPU spikes.

In fact, all my TimPs comps have the meter like that. I really don't mind by now. If I want to monitor the gain reduction, I put a VU after the comp and look what it is doing there.

IAMCRISIS
User Level I
User Level I

Post by IAMCRISIS » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Still sounds good. But I figured maybe there was a bug or something. I can go by ear. Plus I can see the gain reduction in edit mode using the N4 GUI so not really a big deal. Not sure what the cpu spikes were about but I'm not really getting them now after restarting Pro Tools. I guess I can just use it without the Skin for now.

Will The Weirdo
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Will The Weirdo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:37 pm

That meter issue is a N4 bug and has been reported to AA. It happens on Violet and Tim's comps, you can up the GUI rate which helps some but YMMV.

The same Tim P comps in N3 do not have the meter issue.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.5, Reaper 5.4, Live 9.72

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase

prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Post by prosodio » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Sorry, I came here later, yes Tim solution was very fast and accurate: cleared the temp solved it. I downloaded the new version and seems to work great.

Thanks for your fast help Tim!!!

eaccin
User Level X
User Level X

Post by eaccin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:42 am

Everytime I buy a library from Tim I want to put it all over the place because it sounds so good (well, at least on the drum and mix bus). The thing is I can't with this one. It's very cpu heavy here for me on PT12 or it's the spikes issues I don't know. I've cleared the temp and installed the latest version but no luck so far...

Will The Weirdo
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Will The Weirdo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am

eaccin wrote:Everytime I buy a library from Tim I want to put it all over the place because it sounds so good (well, at least on the drum and mix bus). The thing is I can't with this one. It's very cpu heavy here for me on PT12 or it's the spikes issues I don't know. I've cleared the temp and installed the latest version but no luck so far...
N4 seems to be using much more CPU than N3 on L Bus, not sure why but is you have both try N3.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.5, Reaper 5.4, Live 9.72

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase

wjmwpg
User Level II
User Level II

Post by wjmwpg » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 am

Yes, unfortunately I came to nebula too late for N3 and am having issues with L-Buss in N4 (Reaper / Mac). The meter never works at all (they work most of the time with all my other TimP comps), it uses loads of CPU (even compared to other TimP comps), and sometimes I have to load it more than once to get it to work at all. Quite a bummer because it sounds grrreat.

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:51 am

I put a new version up for those who were expreincing issues
on load for threshold, it will have saturdays 21_10 date on it, I have not sent emails out about this as I was waiting for feedback from the users who exprienced the issue. This week i'm looking at the cpu consumption......
There shouldn't be a reason why it can't match the other comps in cpu....but again it's something i'm looking into, so I can't be 100% there.
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

wjmwpg
User Level II
User Level II

Post by wjmwpg » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks Tim, I'll give that new download a shot.
You know, the weird thing about the CPU consumption issue is that Reaper (Mac in my case), doesn't show it being much higher than your other comps, but as soon as I load it the entire DAW starts acting exactly the way it does when the CPU load is too high. Like if my entire session is cooking along at 45% CPU hit, and I add two N4's on the 2buss (L-Buss comp + L-Buss Pre), the CPU bumps up to 48 or 50%, (just like it would with one of your other comps), but the DAW acts like its way more. If I freeze a bunch of tracks to reduce the overall CPU load all works as it should ... which is what keeps me thinking that it is a CPU hit issue even though Reaper isn't showing it as using a ton of CPU.

SlayermanGR
User Level II
User Level II

Post by SlayermanGR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 am

wjmwpg wrote:Thanks Tim, I'll give that new download a shot.
You know, the weird thing about the CPU consumption issue is that Reaper (Mac in my case), doesn't show it being much higher than your other comps, but as soon as I load it the entire DAW starts acting exactly the way it does when the CPU load is too high. Like if my entire session is cooking along at 45% CPU hit, and I add two N4's on the 2buss (L-Buss comp + L-Buss Pre), the CPU bumps up to 48 or 50%, (just like it would with one of your other comps), but the DAW acts like its way more. If I freeze a bunch of tracks to reduce the overall CPU load all works as it should ... which is what keeps me thinking that it is a CPU hit issue even though Reaper isn't showing it as using a ton of CPU.
I second that... Although CPU consumption @ 44KHz seems to be around 1.5% per instance on an i7 and the project's total CPU consumption is around 25% as soon as I inserted L-Bus at the master bus I too had weird crackles, same as when the CPU gets to the 60-70% region... (Reaper + Windows 7 here)
Amethyst, Azure, Cobalt, Coral, Crimson, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Ivory, Lemon, Lift, Lime, N4, Pearl, Pink 2, Pink, Pink Compressors, Ruby, Sand

Jack Winter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by Jack Winter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 pm

That sound rather like the execution latency is too high, reaper shows that as "rt cpu", and "rt longest block processing time". Simply explained it takes too long to finish calculating the FX, and is orthogonal to CPU use. This is something that one would first notice on the master and live monitored tracks, as they don't use reaper's anticipative fx processing like normal tracks.
i7-2600k/16GB, i7-4700HQ/16GB, Archlinux/KDE/REAPER, Multiface/Babyface/X32, Genelec 8040, and far too much more to list.

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:03 pm

I sent out a single preset today for test in beta that should half the cpu. The trick is to do this without artifacts and I think we have something, this may change the sound a little but they will still sound great, these won't replace the orignals at the moment, i'll add them to the pack and possibly tweak the originals a little bit too.

this will probably take a few days

Tim