Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Updated Blu-mu v2 100a v3!!!

Post by babiuk » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks Tim and jpn!

I think it may be useful about expanding the control of sound, anyway I am more into original gear’s limits so I put it to zero.
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by babiuk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:48 am

Another silly questions:

for closest compressor use I have to load PRE insance set to "comp" and after a COMP instance, yes?

the PRE instance set to "line" is just for using the unit as pre?

And what is the linear preset?
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

kylen

Post by kylen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Tim Petherick wrote: Note also using look ahead can blur the release due to a delay line. In other words it's not really in sync anymore.

Maybe one day I'll illustrate this via some sort of pic
That's an interesting fact - would algo comps blur the release also or is it just a nebula phenomenon ?

True a pic would be interesting!

bmanic
Expert
Expert

Post by bmanic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 am

Not sure how it works in Nebula but in the algorithmic world you need to apply a "hold" feature that insures that the release happens exactly at the desired point. Otherwise the release cycle will happen with look-a-head as well, meaning it happens "too early".

This can cause additional inharmonic distortion (intermodulation)if the release is really fast.

So yeah, to have a correctly working look-a-head, a peak-hold function that corresponds to the amount of look-a-head needs to be implemented as well.

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm

babiuk wrote:Another silly questions:

for closest compressor use I have to load PRE insance set to "comp" and after a COMP instance, yes?

the PRE instance set to "line" is just for using the unit as pre?

And what is the linear preset?

Yes, if you just want the roll off without using a compressor you can use the pre with the line setting. When using A compressor instance add the pre set to Comp, this is flat pre setting, so you don't add the same character twice.

The linear comp presets were made for those who don't want that roll off at all when using the compressor. When I originally made 100a some didn't like all the roll off so I made these as a extra

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by babiuk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks, Tim.
I have noticed that using max ahead value gives a softer and sweeter behaviour, I mean in terms of usability, the controls respond faster, I am not meaning the attack or release are changing, I feel the “compressor action” happens in a more inmediate way which is very good for me. I am always interested in the real hardware behaviour and I always used 0 ahead but I tried (just curiosity) max value and I suddenly find it is more like a hardware! I am not meaning it is more like THIS hardware but it is like a real comp acts, faster response to knobs! Even although ahead knob changes the original behaviour I find it is a better way to go for me, it is still like almost the same process but th usage is so better.

I tried in Opto3A and it is the same! So I am happy with his. I just would love Sta having that parameter too, hehe.

Anyway I would like to know if you see this really may have some sense at all or I am missing something. When I thought about it my conclusion was the greater the ahead the greater the delay between knob changes and audio changes but I am noticing the reverse... strange

sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by sfabs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:14 am

Hi Tim... or anyone that can answer...

Little confused on the Line Pre / Line Comp usage with the Sum 100a V3

As I understand it... the line Pre, can be used to get that "roll off" sound without using compression... you can also use this to increase saturation... right?

The Line-Comp has a different curve compared to the Line-pre... and should only be used when using the compressor instance... right?

So.... for full usage (I realise you can do anything) according to the original hardware... would I use the following setup...

Line-Pre ---- Line Comp ---- Compressor

or as many of Tim's libraries suggest the pre after comp...

Line Comp ---- Compressor ---- Line pre

Thanks for any advice :)

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:45 am

sfabs wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:14 am
Hi Tim... or anyone that can answer...

Little confused on the Line Pre / Line Comp usage with the Sum 100a V3

As I understand it... the line Pre, can be used to get that "roll off" sound without using compression... you can also use this to increase saturation... right?

The Line-Comp has a different curve compared to the Line-pre... and should only be used when using the compressor instance... right?

So.... for full usage (I realise you can do anything) according to the original hardware... would I use the following setup...

Line-Pre ---- Line Comp ---- Compressor

or as many of Tim's libraries suggest the pre after comp...

Line Comp ---- Compressor ---- Line pre

Thanks for any advice :)

Ok, So

we have 100a compression instance that roll's off at the top end, this is where you use the flat comp pre (as seen on the page https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/download ... a-leveler/ ) in conjunction with the library. If you want to use just the roll off character without compression use the line version by itself.

So this 100a compression > 100a pre (comp selection)

If you don't want any roll of from the compression instance use the linear comp instance.

sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by sfabs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks Tim, as always :)