Opto3a v2 released

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Opto3a v2 released

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:24 pm

OPTO 3a is Inspired by a Classic Leveling Amplifier. Smooth rms leveling that is Transparent but with some musical Compression distortion in the higher gain reduction area.

Program dependent T4 Cell style curves!!

Pic below shows 2a charging release changing the attack. Gives a subtle double attack character.

Features

4 samples rates 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96
Two stage attack and release (Program dependent)
Limit/Compress mode
TWO attack choices in one preset- 2a and 3a
harmonics preset
N4 and N3 jpn skins with reduction meter
Side chain presets
ahead and High pass filter for cleaning up distortions
Dry control for parallel dry signal

This release will work with nebula versions 1.3.903 and above. Side chains may not work in this earlier version.

If you bought before. The upgrade is free.If you have any problems with downloads please PM me.

A email will be sent out soon for all previous customers.

In use-
For complete emulation use Comp>PRE in series

https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/opto-3a/
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darkskar
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Opto3a v2 released

Post by darkskar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Thank you very much for this update Tim!
I love your Opto3 in my guitars and I love N4!
Cheers!

lubomba

Post by lubomba » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Nice! Thanks a lot Tim!!

One question: I see that there is a separate program for the preamp. Is the compressor program completely free from the "box-tone" of the unit (preamp, tranformers, circuit... that give the saturation/harmonics/freq-curve)

So, do we have to use two instances for accurate tone?

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Yes,

Basically first instance is compression but really that's where most of the tone is as it's tracking distortion or compression distortion where the main tone comes from and yes the pre amp will add some of the low frequency transformer coloration and lift the high end slightly. In future i'll add a output soft clipping distortion using the techniques used in 37j. For now I'm gonna do some other crucial updates to other comps.

I did some mixing yesterday using just this compressor and I didn't use any pre amp at all. It still gave substantial coloration when the gain reduction was pushed.

babiuk
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by babiuk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:19 pm

The saturation instance on the image is a reality? Is it like J37 sat?
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm

babiuk wrote:The saturation instance on the image is a reality? Is it like J37 sat?
It's regular nebula harmonic sampling not the same as 37j.

drezz
Expert
Expert

Post by drezz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm

This sounds marvelous. :) It's better, (and v.1 was great anyway). I don't know how you do it Tim, but it sounds amazing. Well done. A must................

If this is anything to go by, can't wait to hear the new, improved 76 you have coming..............

EDIT: and the new N4 skin by JPN is fantastic too........!

Bravo.
Official Acustica Audio Dealer for UK/Ireland.

https://www.facebook.com/AcusticaUKDealer

http://www.newcutstudios.co.uk/

SlayermanGR
User Level II
User Level II

Post by SlayermanGR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm gonna be the n00b in this thread, but could someone elaborate what's the "AHEAD" knob and what is its use? Thanks in advance!
Amethyst, Azure, Cobalt, Coral, Crimson, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Ivory, Lemon, Lift, Lime, N4, Pearl, Pink 2, Pink, Pink Compressors, Ruby, Sand

antago1
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by antago1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:10 pm

I love that 2A attack setting! My goodness! Thank you for the update, Tim, eventhough v1 was solid! V2 seems a bit more versatile than v1, from my quick tests, so far! I can't imagine the amount of time you put into this! Regardless, it sounds transparent, like you stated, but also realistic. You devs are getting scary good at this tech!

karl
User Level II
User Level II

Post by karl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:18 pm

:shock: yet another remarkable improvement! This sounds marvelous! Love it! The updated skin is awesome as well. I'm glad to see that us N3 users are not forgotten :)

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:27 pm

SlayermanGR wrote:I'm gonna be the n00b in this thread, but could someone elaborate what's the "AHEAD" knob and what is its use? Thanks in advance!
To get faster attacks-
Its a delay on the audio side, thus the envelope follower is ahead of the music. It will give you a quicker attack but at expense of cutting some of the envelope off and changing the release shape. If you want the standard analog sound don't use lookahead. Then again analog compressors can be side chained with a delay line on the audio doing the same thing as this but it's fairly rare especially with proper feedback design.
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:29 pm

antago1 wrote:I love that 2A attack setting! My goodness! Thank you for the update, Tim, eventhough v1 was solid! V2 seems a bit more versatile than v1, from my quick tests, so far! I can't imagine the amount of time you put into this! Regardless, it sounds transparent, like you stated, but also realistic. You devs are getting scary good at this tech!
I was getting crazy for sure :lol:

I created New compressor templates once again, rendered around 10,000 files for analysis, scrapped around 5 templates until we got to this one :lol:

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:34 pm

karl wrote::shock: yet another remarkable improvement! This sounds marvelous! Love it! The updated skin is awesome as well. I'm glad to see that us N3 users are not forgotten :)
Yes it should work exactly the same back to 2013 n3 1.3.903, except the side chain presets may not work.

SlayermanGR
User Level II
User Level II

Post by SlayermanGR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Tim Petherick wrote: To get faster attacks-
Its a delay on the audio side, thus the envelope follower is ahead of the music. It will give you a quicker attack but at expense of cutting some of the envelope off and changing the release shape. If you want the standard analog sound don't use lookahead. Then again analog compressors can be side chained with a delay line on the audio doing the same thing as this but it's fairly rare especially with proper feedback design.
Darn, completely forgot about lookahead (since it's something I never tweak with) :shock:
Thanks for the detailed answer!
One more primal question and I'll be off to demo this baby: From the specs I see "HPF SC", so is the HPF only functional in sidechain mode or in non-SC mode as well?
Amethyst, Azure, Cobalt, Coral, Crimson, Diamond, Ebony, Gold, Ivory, Lemon, Lift, Lime, N4, Pearl, Pink 2, Pink, Pink Compressors, Ruby, Sand

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Functional Hpf in both but the side chained version is only looking at side chain signal not the effected signal.

For example for bass drum and bass guitar using side chain-

Bass drum> High passed Bass drum signal> Envelope follower > Bass guitar

I could just call it a HPF instead of HPF SC, I'll change the now as it's a bit confusing