Re: cupwise release- Lunchpail comp

Post by wagz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:11 am

Thank you for the update, Cupwise!

myimo
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by myimo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi Tim much appreciate the update plus the Skins. I finally got the time to open the zips today but can't get the skins to register. (I am referring to 44khz)
Then I was just going to copy the FLUCTI-MEW.xml but noticed quite a few differences in your new settings so I didn't want to screw up the program.
First when I copied from the zip files "setups" to nebulatemprepository 'Setups' folder instead of "Skin" in the file name like flucti-skin.xml it's lunchpail-hard-knee-44khz.xml
So "skin" is not mentioned.
Also in all the supplied XML
files it just starts with the file path
C:\nebulatemprepository\
but all my other XML files start with a Magic number.
Another thing missing is that there isn't the usual
DICTIONARYSUBPATH Dictionaries/
or
DICTIONARYROMNAME Rom.xml

I don't know if this is a factor in the skins not showing
or if I am making an error later.
To clarify further I can't make a working .dll file from any of the XML files.

Edit I just found another couple of things that might make it easier to track down the problem.
when I put it in a project just using standard nebula3
it works really well but when I reopen the project it just opens with the "init" meaning all the settings have been lost.
The other thing is that, I can't use the programs at all
using nebula3 in Bluecats patchwork. The programs load
but they aren't working.

Thanks for any help

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:31 pm

'skin' not being in the file name for the setup .xml files was just a choice and doesn't affect anything. they're the correct files, so as long as you put them where the manual says, everything should be ok with that.

the 'magic number' bit i left out because in my tests it still worked with it out. as far as i know that's not important. if you want, you can try copy/pasting the magic number entry from your other .xmls into there, but i strongly doubt doing that will change anything.

same with the dictionary stuff. i tested fine without it.

did you follow the update instructions in the email precisely? did you follow the skin install closely? did you delete everything in 'temp'?

anyone else having problems like this?

myimo
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by myimo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:28 am

Hi Tim,thanks for your quick reply.
it's probably some bad XML editing on my part.
I followed your suggestions & then tried doing a fresh install (no skins yet) but couldn't get the programs to save after using them successfully on a session.
I thought that the the fastest way would be for you to have a look at my XML and DLL files.
I'm on Windows 7 pro service Pack 1
C:\nebulatemprepository5
C:\vstplugins5
these are the folders where I keep the latest version of
Neb3

thanks
Attachments
vstplugins5.rar
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:39 pm

ah wait i think i do see the problem. the .dll files you're trying to use are copies of the xml. maybe my install instructions weren't clear enough. delete those .dll files. you need to make copies of the nebula .dll for those files.

so the new xml files should be the files i gave you in the skin install package (in the zip). the new .dll files should be copies of your nebula .dll that you already have, from your nebula install. then you need to name those copies so they match the filenames of the xmls i gave you.

try that and hopefully it should work, let me know :)

myimo
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by myimo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Tim, you were right about the dll fixed it and cleared temp but still no go on it showing in my menu as lunchpail but can do one time load thru the usual way. (I am still not trying to install skins just getting the programs to work)
I'll try making a new xml by editing the fluxi-mu XML and re naming it tomorrow. (Its 4am here)
There seem to be some new lines that aren't in the Fluxi xml but for now I just want to see if I can get it to load then work on the detail.
I was wondering if you are on WIN10 I've noticed there are differences in how it handles some programs.

Anyway thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:52 pm

at this point i really think you should email me. it'd be a lot quicker to work this out over email.

takboo
User Level III
User Level III

Post by takboo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:49 am

For Cubase user don't forget to shorten the file names should be within 8letters.
Or Lunchpail hard and soft will not appear in your vst box :)

myimo
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by myimo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 am

Hi takboo good suggestion that I am sure will help some people but I'am not on cubase so still scratching my head.
I've emailed Tim as he said.
Thanks for taking the time to suggest something.
EDIT
Just a quick update. Tim has been in touch but meanwhile a couple of other non-related programs are not working correctly which has nothing to do with Nebula and is a Windows OS problem that I need to fix.

thanks

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:09 pm

glad you got it sorted out!

olshalom
User Level 0
User Level 0

what the meters should show

Post by olshalom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am

Hi Tim,

I just finished a 12-Track-Album using this comp quite alot on kick snare overheads and drumbuss. As well a group of horns.

I love the big attack. it makes sounds huge and can make accents in a musical way.

The only thing is, the reduction meter does not show what's really going on. What means, it already compresses without showing on the meter.

not a big deal, so i adjust by ear and don't care about the meter.

What should be selected in the Nebula-Setup or xml-file for meters?
Is there anything to care about or to adjust?

As I said, a fantastic release of compressor in the digital-world.

Kind of a 2.5k release with its sidechain curves, auto-release and soft-knee settings would be great.
And i belief you are the right guy to do that!!
Cause that's a missing link. I have this old release i think of gemini-audio. but it seems to be done much better!

All the best from Austria,

Oliver

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: what the meters should show

Post by Cupwise » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm

olshalom wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am

I love the big attack. it makes sounds huge and can make accents in a musical way.
nice, i put a lot of effort into the attack shape.
olshalom wrote:
The only thing is, the reduction meter does not show what's really going on. What means, it already compresses without showing on the meter.

not a big deal, so i adjust by ear and don't care about the meter.

What should be selected in the Nebula-Setup or xml-file for meters?
Is there anything to care about or to adjust?
no there's nothing you can adjust in the xml files for the meters. you should check out my next post about the update i just released and see if that might solve your meter issue. the way you describe it seems a bit weird to me, so if the new update doesn't fix it for you, you should email me (use the contact form at my site if you don't already have my email).
olshalom wrote:
As I said, a fantastic release of compressor in the digital-world.

Kind of a 2.5k release with its sidechain curves, auto-release and soft-knee settings would be great.
And i belief you are the right guy to do that!!
Cause that's a missing link. I have this old release i think of gemini-audio. but it seems to be done much better!
thanks, glad you like it. for all intents and purposes this *is* my 2.5k. i believe it's close enough. as for the sidechain curves (assuming you mean the switchable EQ curve on the hardware), that can't be done in nebula. acustica can add things like that into their acquas but there's no ability for me as a nebula dev to do anything at all with internal routing or anything. all i can do is use the built in HP filter for the sidechain. nebula used to allow for external sidechains but that got removed too, for whatever reason. oh and the auto release mode stuff, that's something that theoretically can be done in nebula but it's very hacky to get it working. i had a working model for it several years ago for another comp, but made a change to it and broke it, and didn't feel inclined to spend the time to figure it out again. i've kind of planned on maybe going back to it, after i release all of the remaining comps that i have already sampled (about 4 more). then i might look into it, and if i can get it working well enough, i might implement it in all the comps that i sampled that had a mode like that. i think since then acustica have also added some program dependent functionality into nebula (or maybe it's just in acquas), so it might be easier to do if there's anything like that in there that i can use (i'm really doubting that though). it's just not a priority right now.
Last edited by Cupwise on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 pm

There's a new Lunchpail Compressor update. You should get it by email if you bought LP.

This update fixes an issue with the harmonics (in the full and SHQ programs), and fixes an issue that only applies to Nebula 3 pro (or lesser versions) users.

The harmonic fix- when using the makeup gain control, the harmonics' levels weren't being increased along with the fundamental. They should have been. This fixes that. You want this fix because if you are using large amounts of compression, which typically require large amounts of makeup gain to compensate, with the old programs your harmonics would be 'reduced' in level in that situation.

As for the other issue- It's been brought to my attention that the meters don't work in the custom N3 skin, when using Nebula 3 pro (almost surely also true for any version of Nebula below that one also). It works fine in Nebula 3 server and N4. The reason is because acustica updated Nebula a while back, adding two additional FUN slots, FUN9 and FUN10. You can't see them by going into 'edit' and 'fun', but they are in there, and can be used by devs. The problem is they didn't add them into any Nebula versions below Nebula 3 server in rank. So if a dev uses those funs, their programs won't function correctly in Nebula 3 pro. I just assumed the additional funs would've been added to all Nebulas. My gain reduction meter code was using FUNs 9 and 10, hence why it wasn't working in Nebula 3 pro.

This update fixes that.

You should get this update no matter what version of Nebula you use, for the harmonic fix. If you use Nebula 3 pro or lower, this should also fix the gain reduction meters.