Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: cupwise release- Lunchpail comp

Post by Cupwise » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:37 pm

wagz wrote:
Cupwise wrote:i've already dropped a few... maybe check the thread at gearslutz for more...
Ah... I see, now. What can I say? I'm kinda slow sometimes. Thanks for the compressor, Tim.

Well, I've gotta get to work. My workday usually ends somewhere from 5 to 7, though. Ciao.

(That's my hint, BTW.)
really didn't meant to imply anything like that. maybe the ellipses made it seem that way or something but it wasn't intended. ;) i just really don't wanna say too much.

garyk_123
User Level X
User Level X

Post by garyk_123 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:44 pm

wagz wrote:
I've been considering the N14 or that Neev sidecar that Alex has got. I'd like to hear that sidecar on a track with drums. I almost got it based on the fact that one of the artists that I really like uses one. I already have MFC, but sometimes I think it sounds too "puffy". Also, I've got CDSoundmaster's 1084 and Tim P's Blue 1102. I just wonder how redundant it would be to have another Neev-ish EQ/console library...
I am interested in Alexb's Rupert Eq, though. But, I doubt that I'll buy Gold.
Hey Wagz,

Glad you're cutting back on the eq dials!

I have Alex's N14 and Tim' 1102. Great combo. I use Tim's for preamp and eq and Alex for buses myself, but it's all good however you slice it. Can't speak of the sidecar or Michael's 1084 but would surely be in the same ballpark. I've heard that Prime has a credible N*** comp if you're not going Gold, but I haven't got round to demoing yet. I have comps needs covered now - A*I was my missing piece! (Note deft return to topic...)

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:01 am

garyk_123 wrote: I have comps needs covered now - A*I was my missing piece! (Note deft return to topic...)
This Lunchpail compressor is a step toward the completion of my compressor arsenal. I've been wanting to buy a lunchbox for years.
Cupwise wrote: this exactly, is an ability i requested several years ago for skins to be able to have buttons/switches to do this. it's actually in the neb3 flucti-mew skin jpn made for me, and an unrelesed neb3 skin i had made before that, for my 609 (which i may one day release). it got added into the nebula 3 skin programming, but then acustica decided they didn't want to put it in n4, so only neb 3 and the acqua plugins can do it (a lot of the buttons you can click in those are actually changing programs very quickly, i believe).

you can go ahead and request it if you like (i already have) but they want it reserved for acquas. so yeah, it kinda sucks, but nebula 4 skins are only capable of being eye candy, and not doing cool stuff like this. on that note, JPN has said he will try to make a nebula 3 skin, which will have those buttons. no guarantee it comes out or when.
I posted the request. Hopefully some others will also ask for these abilities to be added to N4. I actually have your Flucti-Mew library, Tim. If Acustica grants this request, that compressor and this Lunchpail are going to be so much more easier to use. I didn't know what to call this ability, so I asked for "Program Toggles".

In case anyone wants to add their voice to the discussion, here's the thread:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/vi ... 16&t=30170

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:28 pm

i'm about to give the info to jpn for a nebula 3 skin soon, so hopefully we can get that out before too long.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:35 pm

just remembered and wanted to point out that i removed flucti-mew and c660 from my compressors bundle so the price on it could come down to $87. i want to try to get all of my bundles in the $80-90 range. so now those two aren't part of any bundle (for now) but i don't think anyone bought it at the previous price so maybe now it might be more tempting to some. as always if you already own anything in a bundle you can get the rest of it at around 17% off.

Compressor Bundle | Cupwise FX

RE301

Post by RE301 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Very cool-looking release..... busting open piggy bank now..:-0

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 pm

going to keep the limited time bundle open through the weekend, then it's gone!

garyk_123
User Level X
User Level X

Post by garyk_123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 am

Cupwise wrote:i'm about to give the info to jpn for a nebula 3 skin soon, so hopefully we can get that out before too long.
Hey Tim, how's that coming along?

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 am

garyk_123 wrote:
Cupwise wrote:i'm about to give the info to jpn for a nebula 3 skin soon, so hopefully we can get that out before too long.
Hey Tim, how's that coming along?
i think it's maybe 2/3rds done. jpn has been sending me different parts of it already.

i also want to point out that i've changed the limited time bundle that i had set up with this comp. it was bundled with the Plates of Legend 3 gold plate release at a discount. now i've changed it so it's this comp and my recent Echo Chambers A release together at a discount. it will be a limited time bundle only. as always if you have one or the other of the releases you can get the other at a discount by emailing me (there's a note about that at the site though that you might want to look at).

Melodist
User Level III
User Level III

Post by Melodist » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:29 pm

All my 3rd party comps create a wobble, also the cupwise N**e; has that occurred for anybody else? On Windows 10 with PT AAX but VST3 won't work either.
Attachments
response.jpg

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:32 pm

is that graphic you're posting actually from one of my comps?

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:57 pm

i haven't been able to get a graph with a bump in the low freqs *that high* (4db) with christian budde's vst analyser with any of my comps but definitely not with smooth 609 (so i really have to wonder if that graph is even one of my programs or another dev's). in 609 i'm seeing a bump of ~2db (less without harmonics, which i'll get to). which obviously is still undesired. but that's why i made the shq programs, which remove that ripple.

the full (not lite!) shq program will show a (different looking) boost in the bass still, but it's caused by the harmonics. vst analyser (which i know isn't what you used to make your graph but it's what i use and i recommend you check it out- only problem it's not 64bit) can be a bit misleading because the graph it shows with the freq response is with the program getting hit with an input at 0dbFs (so it triggers the highest level of harmonics). in normal use you won't have a signal that high (or usually even very close), so the harmonics will be much lower, and you wont actually get that bass boost. You can see that it's coming from the harmonics there, by going to the kern page and limiting kerns to just 1, at which point the response becomes perfectly flat. so this is why i made the shq programs, and i'm pretty sure i mentioned that in the manual, that they give a more accurate bass response.

the ripple itself is caused by having short kern lengths, and this is something that the templates provided by acustica for making compressors were set to do. because otherwise you couldn't have fast enough prog rates. more recently i've been doing things a bit differently, so the flucti-mew and lunchpail comps (which this thread is about) are actually almost perfectly flat.

i do plan on going back and updating my older comps at some point but it takes time and i have to prioritize a lot of different stuff (like doing new releases). you're probably the first person i've seen to even mention the ripple (besides myself, in some of my manuals), let alone say it makes the programs useless, so i can't say it's the big priority right now. but again, when i can i will update them to be more like my newer comps.

if you don't like this situation and really feel that any of my programs are useless you can email me and i'll give you a refund, with no hard feelings.

Melodist
User Level III
User Level III

Post by Melodist » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:23 am

Cupwise wrote:i haven't been able to get a graph with a bump in the low freqs *that high* (4db) with christian budde's vst analyser with any of my comps but definitely not with smooth 609 (so i really have to wonder if that graph is even one of my programs or another dev's). in 609 i'm seeing a bump of ~2db (less without harmonics, which i'll get to). which obviously is still undesired. but that's why i made the shq programs, which remove that ripple.

the full (not lite!) shq program will show a (different looking) boost in the bass still, but it's caused by the harmonics. vst analyser (which i know isn't what you used to make your graph but it's what i use and i recommend you check it out- only problem it's not 64bit) can be a bit misleading because the graph it shows with the freq response is with the program getting hit with an input at 0dbFs (so it triggers the highest level of harmonics). in normal use you won't have a signal that high (or usually even very close), so the harmonics will be much lower, and you wont actually get that bass boost. You can see that it's coming from the harmonics there, by going to the kern page and limiting kerns to just 1, at which point the response becomes perfectly flat. so this is why i made the shq programs, and i'm pretty sure i mentioned that in the manual, that they give a more accurate bass response.

the ripple itself is caused by having short kern lengths, and this is something that the templates provided by acustica for making compressors were set to do. because otherwise you couldn't have fast enough prog rates. more recently i've been doing things a bit differently, so the flucti-mew and lunchpail comps (which this thread is about) are actually almost perfectly flat.

i do plan on going back and updating my older comps at some point but it takes time and i have to prioritize a lot of different stuff (like doing new releases). you're probably the first person i've seen to even mention the ripple (besides myself, in some of my manuals), let alone say it makes the programs useless, so i can't say it's the big priority right now. but again, when i can i will update them to be more like my newer comps.

if you don't like this situation and really feel that any of my programs are useless you can email me and i'll give you a refund, with no hard feelings.
Yes, it happens with the 609 plugin. I mean, I've been thrilled to use the best digital version available of this comp and would support you in any way, but I've been getting bad vibes from the whole Nebula project regarding (older?) libraries getting overall this "bug" (I'm calling it a bug because this is not what a frequency response is supposed to look like). I did not use Nebula before version 4 and thought that by now, it might've gone past the experimental phase (I'm putting it like this because a few years back, it didn't seem like the friendliest pick up and go solution).

So this does have to do with old libraries I assume? I dunno what technically is happening inside the program but from the outside, it looks like phasing / modulation, not what a response should look like. Alex B's stuff has it too, the comps more aggressively and EQs less aggressive but it is there everywhere.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:26 am

i explained it in my post, did you read it? it has nothing to do with modulation. it's a byproduct of short kern lengths, which means impulses are shortened. it had to be that way with compressors originally, as i explained in my last post. and i agreed that yes 609 does have a bit of a ripple but said that i don't think that graph you posted is from 609. read my post. especially the last bit.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi

LunchPail compressor for Nebula just got a big update! After this email I'll be sending you links to the updated library, contained in .zips just like the ones you originally downloaded. You can get either the 44.1khz, 96khz, or both versions from these links.

To install the update- If you don't need backwards compatibility with the old version, you can delete the vectors for the old library before installing the update. This will reclaim you some space on your disk drive. On the other hand, if you *have* saved projects in your DAW(s) using the old LunchPail programs, and need those to load properly in the future, just don't delete anything.

Now, to actually install the update, all you do is install the .n2p files where they go, and the .n2v files where they go. The new .n2p files will over-write the old ones. That's OK even if you need backwards compatibility. Over-writing those old programs won't break that (the vectors are what's important here).

The N4 skins have also been updated! So be sure to install the new ones! If you don't remember how just look at the skin install manual (and just replace the old skins with the new ones to update).

-------------------------------

Here's the updates in this new version-

*New Nebula 3 skins by JPN! These are awesome because you can switch between different program versions without losing your settings, just by clicking a button on the GUI. They're like stand-alone plugins. You really need to read the skin install manual to install these, it isn't the same as other Nebula 3 skins. I strongly recommend installing and using these if you have Nebula 3!

*Fixed a major bug that somehow slipped past me, which caused the 'knee select' programs to not respond like the soft and hard knee programs when set to the same settings and fed the same input. The threshold control would have to be lowered drastically more in the 'knee select' program to get the same amount of compression, and it still wouldn't sound the same. Now these programs work like they're supposed to!

*Optimized the programs by reducing sample counts, in ways that I couldn't hear any negative impact on quality. Lite and Full programs were affected the most, and got significant reductions in CPU use. SHQ versions also had some of this treatment, but not quite as much. Here's what I see on my system (I'm running an i7 4930k overclocked to 4.5ghz, which is still maybe a bit high-end so you may not see the same results):
44khz Lite versions of hard or soft knee programs- around 2/3rds less CPU use.
44khz Full versions of hard or soft knee programs- around 3/4ths less CPU use.
96khz Lite versions of hard or soft knee programs- somewhere between 1/5 and 1/3 less CPU use.
96khz Full versions of hard or soft knee programs- somewhere around half the CPU use
SHQ versions- barely noticeable difference, if any.
Improvements for the 'knee select' programs aren't quite as good for some reason, but still definitely significant. Before doing this optimizing, I couldn't run the Full versions of any of the "Knee Select" programs, without stuttering, and had to use Lite until rendering. Now I can use Full versions fine. You may still not be able to run Full 'Knee Select', but should definitely notice the improvements all around.

*A nice little improvement- the 'dry' control has been renamed 'wet' and now actually acts as a wet/dry crossfader mixer control. It used to just allow you to introduce some dry signal into the output, but didn't reduce the wet signal level. This change makes it a lot easier to get so called 'New York' style compression.

*Fixed a bug where the ratio control would say '1' instead of '100' when set to max, in some cases.

*Updated the manual to reflect the change with the new 'wet' control and made a few other changes (new tips).