cupwise release- Lunchpail comp

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

cupwise release- Lunchpail comp

Post by Cupwise » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 am

So I've finally got myself motivated to release this compressor, which I've had mostly done since January, and actually sampled a few years ago!

JPN did a great skin for it for use with Nebula 4!! So thank you JPN! (and also thanks to Rich for testing!)

'Based on' a compressor design with a revered ancestry, and very strong ties to one of the most popular current compressors out there (typically viewed as a bus comp but equally good in mixes and for mastering), these programs are super versatile. Fully adjustable attack control, from fast, almost instant (can be instant with a tiny bit of look-ahead), to pretty slow 200+ ms attacks (which the hardware can't do), which I personally almost never use but they're there! I put extra effort into getting the attack shape just right, using some really hacky methods with Nebula's programming to achieve attacks that are like what the hardware does.

You have hard knee, soft knee, and a bonus set of programs for 'combo' knee which include both knees and a 'knee' control that allows you to transition between them and effectively get a medium knee, which is very cool and works great, even if it can be subtle. You also get programs for feedback or feedforward detection modes, and even 50/50 programs using a bit of both. The detection modes and knees allow you to get results from 'vintage' to 'modern' and in between.

You can check out the manual for more info, but most importantly you can grab the demo program(s) to check out some of the compression action for yourself! The demos are limited in some ways (explained by the .txt that comes with them), but it should be enough to give you an idea!

LunchPail Compressor | Cupwise FX

-----------------
There's also a limited time bundle offer-
You can buy this and my recent Plates of Legend III (gold plated) release together and save an addition $12 on top of the $5 off introductory price on this library. Also, if you already have PoL III you can email me for a discount off of this library equaling the savings you’d get from buying this bundle (contact me through contact form or by email directly to set that up).
--------------------------------

ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: cupwise release- Lunchpail comp

Post by ngarjuna » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Can't wait to check it out. That tip on using REAPER automation to lock the settings for SHQ instance is great, I've been wondering if there was a way to do that.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 am

ngarjuna wrote:Can't wait to check it out. That tip on using REAPER automation to lock the settings for SHQ instance is great, I've been wondering if there was a way to do that.
yeah i think i've been putting that tip in my comp manuals for a few years. it'd be even more great if neb 4 skins could have the buttons like the flucti-mew n3 skin, where you can just click the button to switch program versions without losing settings, but that ability is reserved for the acquas now...

from the other thread:
emilieitor wrote:Tim, are there stereo presets with two differents hardware piece of this compressor model sampled L-R at the same time, them?
yeah it was sampled in stereo
wagz wrote:Tim, I have a question. Since my computer won't run the high-quality versions of the programs, are you aware of any method that I can use to copy and paste the settings from the LE programs to the HQ programs to print the tracks?
yeah, the method described in the manual, where you set up each control to use automation in your daw, just using the automation to 'record' the setting that you're using for each. then when you switch programs the controls don't change. this is what ngarjuna was talking about. i know it works really well with reaper but i would assume it would work with other daws too.
wagz wrote: Would it be possible to put the LE and HQ programs together on one skin (with shared/linked controls) and simply have a toggle between those two? Or, is that something that must wait until Acustica adjusts N4 to allow multi-racking? I was thinking that you have already put multiple programs under one skin with your reverbs (the 'SELEC' slider), but those are not combinations of LE and HQ versions.
this exactly, is an ability i requested several years ago for skins to be able to have buttons/switches to do this. it's actually in the neb3 flucti-mew skin jpn made for me, and an unrelesed neb3 skin i had made before that, for my 609 (which i may one day release). it got added into the nebula 3 skin programming, but then acustica decided they didn't want to put it in n4, so only neb 3 and the acqua plugins can do it (a lot of the buttons you can click in those are actually changing programs very quickly, i believe).

wagz wrote: If we have to wait for Acustica to update N4 to allow this, maybe I should go request that a link feature and/or a LE to HQ toggle switch (for automatically activating/deactivating different sets of programs of the same type, but using one set of controls) be part of the update. With that sort of feature, we could simply load one instance of this Lunchpail, which would have toggle switches for things like FF/FB mode and LE/HQ mode. I believe that these are workflow issues that Acustica should address.
you can go ahead and request it if you like (i already have) but they want it reserved for acquas. so yeah, it kinda sucks, but nebula 4 skins are only capable of being eye candy, and not doing cool stuff like this. on that note, JPN has said he will try to make a nebula 3 skin, which will have those buttons. no guarantee it comes out or when.

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:01 am

I'm porting this post on mine from the other thread to keep things together. This is the post that Tim Cupwise responded to above:
wagz wrote:Tim, I have a question. Since my computer won't run the high-quality versions of the programs, are you aware of any method that I can use to copy and paste the settings from the LE programs to the HQ programs to print the tracks?

I'm even fine with manual entry. Since my computer won't even play back any sound on the HQ programs, I'm wondering how some of you deal with this issue on programs with variable controls. I really, really like jpn's work, but repeatability seems like it could be an issue here - because without an exact number displayed on the skin, I'm not sure that the variable controls will be set the same as I jump from LE to HQ programs.

I remember requesting numeric entry for Nebula. Having that and/or some sort of indicator of the numeric value that I've set a variable knob to would help me so much in this situation. In N4, when I adjust a slider, I can see the exact value I have set the control to.

jpn, is it possible to add that sort of indicator to your skins (for repeatability when using both LE and HQ programs)?

Would it be possible to put the LE and HQ programs together on one skin (with shared/linked controls) and simply have a toggle between those two? Or, is that something that must wait until Acustica adjusts N4 to allow multi-racking? I was thinking that you have already put multiple programs under one skin with your reverbs (the 'SELEC' slider), but those are not combinations of LE and HQ versions.

If we have to wait for Acustica to update N4 to allow this, maybe I should go request that a link feature and/or a LE to HQ toggle switch (for automatically activating/deactivating different sets of programs of the same type, but using one set of controls) be part of the update. With that sort of feature, we could simply load one instance of this Lunchpail, which would have toggle switches for things like FF/FB mode and LE/HQ mode. I believe that these are workflow issues that Acustica should address.

Anyway, thanks for the compressor, Tim! It's gonna take me a while to learn it. But, so far, I like it on acoustic guitar, vocals, and drums.

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:12 am

Cupwise wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:Can't wait to check it out. That tip on using REAPER automation to lock the settings for SHQ instance is great, I've been wondering if there was a way to do that.
yeah i think i've been putting that tip in my comp manuals for a few years. it'd be even more great if neb 4 skins could have the buttons like the flucti-mew n3 skin, where you can just click the button to switch program versions without losing settings, but that ability is reserved for the acquas now...

yeah, the method described in the manual, where you set up each control to use automation in your daw, just using the automation to 'record' the setting that you're using for each. then when you switch programs the controls don't change. this is what ngarjuna was talking about. i know it works really well with reaper but i would assume it would work with other daws too.

this exactly, is an ability i requested several years ago for skins to be able to have buttons/switches to do this. it's actually in the neb3 flucti-mew skin jpn made for me, and an unrelesed neb3 skin i had made before that, for my 609 (which i may one day release). it got added into the nebula 3 skin programming, but then acustica decided they didn't want to put it in n4, so only neb 3 and the acqua plugins can do it (a lot of the buttons you can click in those are actually changing programs very quickly, i believe).

you can go ahead and request it if you like (i already have) but they want it reserved for acquas. so yeah, it kinda sucks, but nebula 4 skins are only capable of being eye candy, and not doing cool stuff like this. on that note, JPN has said he will try to make a nebula 3 skin, which will have those buttons. no guarantee it comes out or when.
Tim and Henry, thanks very much for this tip! I'm sure that I will try that to see how it works in Cubase 9 Pro. However, I've got to say that this exclusion of such an important and beneficial feature is very disappointing and seems like an unnecessary restriction. I simply don't understand why Acustica would remove this ability if Neb 3 has it. I've bought so many third party libraries in the hope that Nebula would continue to be developed, becoming easier to use over time - not more restrictive! In fact, I bought Nebula based on the sound quality of third party libraries like this Lunchpail. I wouldn't have bought it at all if I based my decision on the Acustica Nebula 3 Pro library. And, for many of us, the main thing holding Nebula (including N4) back is it's workflow. Yes. The CPU usage is high. But, I can work around that if Acustica will just improve the workflow.

So, I simply don't understand the reasoning behind this choice, Acustica. I don't understand why you would seemingly handicap N4 in such a way. I've been considering whether or not I'd purchase some Acquas. But, until the arrival of multi-racking, and until certain 'disappearing features' reappear in N4 (or decent explanations for their removals are given), I don't think I will feel too comfortable buying anything from you (Acustica).

Tim, did you request this feature in the Nebula Requests section of this forum? If I can find it, it may be better for me to post there instead of creating a new thread.

garyk_123
User Level X
User Level X

Post by garyk_123 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 am

Alex's A16 and 550 A (never cared for the B myself) with Tim's 225 is proving to be my ultimate setup. I have no desire or need to purchase the Acqua equovalent, fine a piece as it is.

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:04 am

garyk_123 wrote:Alex's A16 and 550 A (never cared for the B myself) with Tim's 225 is proving to be my ultimate setup. I have no desire or need to purchase the Acqua equovalent, fine a piece as it is.
It's funny you should mention that. I also own AlexB's A16 and his 550A eq. And, just hours ago, there was a conversation about Pink on the gearslutz forum. So, I bought the CM Pink version and compared it to AlexB's 550A. Sonically, I preferred the AlexB version of that eq. Of course, the Acqua would be more convenient because of the GUI/skin. Nevertheless, all of my Nebula libraries have staved off any desire for Pink. So, I think we are kinda on the same page, are far as these things are concerned.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:12 pm

it's not 225
wagz wrote: Tim, did you request this feature in the Nebula Requests section of this forum? If I can find it, it may be better for me to post there instead of creating a new thread.
nope it was directly, by email.

garyk_123
User Level X
User Level X

Post by garyk_123 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Hey Wagz we are on the same page for sure. Don't need pink now. I hardly ever need 3 separate adjustments per channel anyway. Typically high pass and one band suffices. To my mind the bands on the hardware are meant to cover different situations, not to fix a disaster of sound with 3 or4 bands! And a lot of people think that Aquas have a sound or are tuned to mastering. I think Nebulas just sound better.

Also I don't use N*v* compression much so not bothering to try Gold. Alex's n14 and other Tim's 1102 has me covered.

antago1
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by antago1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:26 pm

:idea:
Last edited by antago1 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Can't chat at length right now. Anyway, I made a quick DEMO of the LE vs HQ modes on a Lunchpail program. The automation trick worked in Cubase, but there is an error that causes Cubase not to display the automation value correctly unless I click on the lane.

SHQ is awesome, but my computer really, really didn't seem to want to process this file.

https://soundcloud.com/blackdaddywarbux ... m-bus-demo

(Not that it matters.) I'm doing slightly more than 4db gain reduction on peaks with a slow attack, the fastest release, a ratio of 2.45:1, with HP at 150, and mixing the dry signal back in at -7.98. Meh.. Here's a pic of the settings and the Cubase automation thing. After loading the SHQ or FULL program versions, some of the values (THRESH, HIPAS, & DRY) in the automation lanes for N4 are incorrectly diplayed in Cubase 9 Pro.
Lunchpail LE Automation Trick Cubase 9 Pro.png
Attachments
Lunchpail FULL Automation Trick Cubase 9 Pro.png
Last edited by wagz on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:54 am

garyk_123 wrote:Hey Wagz we are on the same page for sure. Don't need pink now. I hardly ever need 3 separate adjustments per channel anyway. Typically high pass and one band suffices. To my mind the bands on the hardware are meant to cover different situations, not to fix a disaster of sound with 3 or4 bands! And a lot of people think that Aquas have a sound or are tuned to mastering. I think Nebulas just sound better.

Also I don't use N*v* compression much so not bothering to try Gold. Alex's n14 and other Tim's 1102 has me covered.
I find myself doing the same thing with eq (using less bands of eq)- especially because I've gotten a little bit better at listening. Back when I had
a really awesome hardware mastering eq, I hardly ever even used more than two bands on a source, I think.

I've been considering the N14 or that Neev sidecar that Alex has got. I'd like to hear that sidecar on a track with drums. I almost got it based on the fact that one of the artists that I really like uses one. I already have MFC, but sometimes I think it sounds too "puffy". Also, I've got CDSoundmaster's 1084 and Tim P's Blue 1102. I just wonder how redundant it would be to have another Neev-ish EQ/console library...
I am interested in Alexb's Rupert Eq, though. But, I doubt that I'll buy Gold.
Cupwise wrote: nope it was directly, by email.
Ok. When I get un-lazy, I guess I'll make a request thread in the Requests section.

Also, since this isn't a 225, could you drop a small hint to point us in the right direction?

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm

i've already dropped a few... maybe check the thread at gearslutz for more...

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Cupwise wrote:i've already dropped a few... maybe check the thread at gearslutz for more...
Lol ! More Cowbell !
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Cupwise wrote:i've already dropped a few... maybe check the thread at gearslutz for more...
Ah... I see, now. What can I say? I'm kinda slow sometimes. Thanks for the compressor, Tim.

Well, I've gotta get to work. My workday usually ends somewhere from 5 to 7, though. Ciao.

(That's my hint, BTW.)