Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
markgalup
Expert
Expert

Clippers!

Post by markgalup » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Yooo,

So, I've been doing some shooting out of different saturation/distortion/clipper devices recently. I know we all can't wait for the day when AA blows the roof off by developing tech to sample analog clipping, but until then, I figured I might start a thread where this can be discussed.

So far, I've found a few libs to really get somewhere close:

Transcending Music's Vcult (love it)
Transcending Music's 78five (might be wrong on name, not quite my cup of tea)
Tim Petherick's Dualtech Clipper (insanely fat, love it)
Tim Petherick's Vari-Level Clipper (not love, but seems like it might end up useful, definitely is clipping)

Now, this is usually blasphemy in my world, but I have recently purchased the Kush Omega plug bundle because I think they have some really nice aspects, and honestly I find them to sound quite good, at very least not damaging to the integrity of the sound when used appropriately for my tastes.

Any other thoughts on this? If TimP could make more clippers like dualtech, we'd all benefit hugely...

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

ce1909

Re: Clippers!

Post by ce1909 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Using many Kush products here as well. Omegas, UBK-1, Clariphonic,Electra + Sly Fi- great plugins.

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 am

Yeah, I do dig the Omega pres pretty well, but I sold my UBK and Clari bc I found them to take a lot away from the core sound.

I'm interested to try Ebony's distortion algorithm that G mentioned, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet...

MG
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

i don't really think an actual clipper that actually clips the tops/bottoms off of a waveform is really possible with nebula. i mean, unless something has changed i'm pretty sure it's not. hard limiting, yeah. clipping, no. as for distortion you might check out my old tube fm 4 library i put out years ago. it can do lots of different distortions.

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm

With a bit of refining it's possible to create a sym overdrive. The way I used nebula to create dual tech clip was copying the soft transfer curve. This means it creates real distortion but symmetrical. I have a recreated tube screamer that is pretty much spot on yet it's not asymmetrical. Tube screamer if drivin hard would sound like that anyway... So who knows maybe I'll release it if people want it. Only two people have tried it and loved it...Again it's a different way of using nebula and in fact is still sampling but more directly copying transfer rather than sampling a harmonic. I've not really talked to much about as I believe it's the only products that do this, so wanted to see how people liked it.

37j used the same concept, it could be made to clip harder but I was trying to keep the harmonics low to keep aliasing low. This in fact is the reason limiting the amount of harmonics sampled in nebula keeps aliasing low because less harmonics are reaching nynquist and mirroring those harmonics back into the audible range. This is also quite decieving in a vst analyser that uses 1k, it virtually tells us nothing about the way nebula may alias as we have limited harmonics.

Dual tech clip here https://m.soundcloud.com/timpetherick/h ... ip-and-pre

be a gorilla

Post by be a gorilla » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:42 pm

yes please release your tube screamer :)

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:30 am

Hell yes... seeing both of you - Tim C. and Tim P. - talking about this in this thread is exactly what I was hoping to see.

I haven't particularly put J37 through the clipping paces (sort of forgot about it), but I will now. Dualtech is my favorite so far. And yes, please please release your TS...

Hopefully this thread can open doors for more of this goodness to come.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by sfabs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 am

+1 TUBE SCREAMER

Brian
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Brian » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 pm

This would of course be of great interest.

For now, I'm using Tim's Dualtech and Sta programs like you are.

Otherwise, my absolute favorites are Kush's Omega and Cytomic's The Scream and The Drop (the Wasp filter is especially mental). Andrew's coding really just nails nonlinear dirt and filtering in a way I've not heard anywhere else.

Anyone looking for a Tube Screamer, absolutely pick up The Scream. Convincing, dynamic sound. Then check out the mod options - it's really deep!
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
[email protected]

Mixing/Mastering Engineer at Sentient Sound Labs 覺知音樂工作室

Win10 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9

beingmf3
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by beingmf3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 pm

uuh, markgalup! Thanks for mentioning the DualTech Pre/Clipper! It had totally slipped under my radar and it sounds amazing (with the right source)!

TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Post by TranscendingMusic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:17 pm

beingmf3 wrote:uuh, markgalup! Thanks for mentioning the DualTech Pre/Clipper! It had totally slipped under my radar and it sounds amazing (with the right source)!
Tim's Dualtech clipper is SICK 8-)
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 x64
Ryzen 2700x | Win 10 x64

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 am

What do you guys use clippers on? Sounds like I should check out TimP's Dualtech...

sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by sfabs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:18 am

Brian wrote:This would of course be of great interest.

For now, I'm using Tim's Dualtech and Sta programs like you are.

Otherwise, my absolute favorites are Kush's Omega and Cytomic's The Scream and The Drop (the Wasp filter is especially mental). Andrew's coding really just nails nonlinear dirt and filtering in a way I've not heard anywhere else.

Anyone looking for a Tube Screamer, absolutely pick up The Scream. Convincing, dynamic sound. Then check out the mod options - it's really deep!
Thanks Brian, great post, all over looking and testing those recommendations now!

beingmf3
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by beingmf3 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:33 am

wagz wrote:What do you guys use clippers on? Sounds like I should check out TimP's Dualtech...
Just yesterday on, yes: castagnets! :lol:

Amazing, really. Brought out the space of the room in a lovely way while shaving off the hard transients of an SDC recording.

Just now: lead vocals and lead guitar. Thick and present (mind you: it's a 50's style mix).

wagz
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by wagz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:16 am

beingmf3 wrote:
wagz wrote:What do you guys use clippers on? Sounds like I should check out TimP's Dualtech...
Just yesterday on, yes: castagnets! :lol:

Amazing, really. Brought out the space of the room in a lovely way while shaving off the hard transients of an SDC recording.

Just now: lead vocals and lead guitar. Thick and present (mind you: it's a 50's style mix).
Interesting. I wasn't expecting anyone to be using clippers on vocals. I'm gonna have to try that!