Gold Plated: Plates of Legend III - Cupwise FX release!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Will The Weirdo
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Gold Plated: Plates of Legend III - Cupwise FX release!!

Post by Will The Weirdo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Cupwise wrote: what's that mean, 'full control' for the 'first time'? my plates have sampled dampers, what else is there?
Well Tim, Ebony has full control of......

Decay
Pre-delay
Drive for harmonics
Early/late reflections
Quality control for number of harmonics instances

All in one section, easy to manipulate together.

As I said, full control for the first time.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.5, Reaper 5.4, Live 9.72

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase

plexus
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by plexus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:38 am

Will The Weirdo wrote:
Cupwise wrote: what's that mean, 'full control' for the 'first time'? my plates have sampled dampers, what else is there?

Decay
Pre-delay
Drive for harmonics
Early/late reflections

I think you guys are comparing two different philosophies. Tim's approach is to capture the hardware in-place, meaning as it functions on it's own. So with an EMT all you really have access to is the damper. Done. Will is talking about all the other bells and whistles you can implement along with a reverb but are not part of what you get with a real EMT plate.

I'm personally fine with Tim's approach and generally prefer it because they are faithful reproductions of the actual hardware including their limitations which adds to my creativity, ironically.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Will The Weirdo wrote:

Decay
Pre-delay
Drive for harmonics
Early/late reflections

well the phrase 'full control' could mean anything. you could say that that control set is missing added EQ. if that's for a plate reverb, i don't see how it has separate early/late reflections. that's not something adjustable on a plate reverb, so that would require some kind of manipulation of the impulses. my reverbs also have the decay, sampled from the plate.

pre-delay, sure that's nice to have in the plugin right there, no arguing that. but it's not a 'reverb control' in the sense that it's sampled from a plate reverb. plate reverbs don't have pre-delay built in, so that's an added thing. you can add pre-delay if you use a mine as a send, but obviously like i said it's nice to have it in the same plug-in (would have gladly added that to my programs but they never made it available in nebula. i requested it a few years ago). a pre-delay doesn't really have anything to do with 'nebula technology' or sampling technology though. it's just a nice added control.

my plates also have harmonics and you can also drive them for more harmonics. so have all of the reverbs i've ever made going back 6-7years ago.

not saying their release won't be great and sound great, and again i agree it's nice to have those new controls. but you could keep thinking of new controls to add to something all day. when does it become 'full'? i sampled every control that's actually on the plate reverb. so to me, that's full.

Will The Weirdo
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Will The Weirdo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

I have them all, and I said they are all worth having, but having the extra control is very nice as from yesterday forward Nebula verbs are just like every algo verb with full control, but with superior sound quality.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.5, Reaper 5.4, Live 9.72

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase

tecolo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by tecolo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Cupwise wrote: not saying their release won't be great and sound great, and again i agree it's nice to have those new controls. but you could keep thinking of new controls to add to something all day. when does it become 'full'? i sampled every control that's actually on the plate reverb. so to me, that's full.
I am betatesting new product with friend Will and can't speak much about it until it is released. For what is worth i agree completely with you.

New product - reverb part - you can look at it as a fancy reverb with few fancy controls. Nothing you as a library developer could not do by yourself probably (as i understand it).

For what is worth (and this is only my subjective opinion) i think your libraries are amazing and far more versatile then new product when it comes to Reverb part. Personally i am much more excited about other parts in new product and people will have to hear it by them self to believe it.

brockbarritt
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by brockbarritt » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:39 am

tecolo wrote:
Cupwise wrote: For what is worth (and this is only my subjective opinion) i think your libraries are amazing and far more versatile then new product when it comes to Reverb part. Personally i am much more excited about other parts in new product and people will have to hear it by them self to believe it.
I was planning to get all of Tim's work, but thanks for sharing this information as a way of confirmation.

Fwiw, I will likely get Ebony too.

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:17 am

tecolo wrote:i think your libraries are amazing and far more versatile then new product when it comes to Reverb part. Personally i am much more excited about other parts in new product and people will have to hear it by them self to believe it.
You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

Really want to know more about the eq and the compressor. Can you say something? At least if it good, where it can shine, etc.

tecolo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by tecolo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

gus_vccs wrote:
tecolo wrote:i think your libraries are amazing and far more versatile then new product when it comes to Reverb part. Personally i am much more excited about other parts in new product and people will have to hear it by them self to believe it.
You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

Really want to know more about the eq and the compressor. Can you say something? At least if it good, where it can shine, etc.
I apologize but i can't talk about it until it is released. I am under NDA. Just to be clear i am not trying to impart or to generate fake excitement or something like that. Or to torture you guys.

Not want to be party breaker so i can say it's dead easy to dial in (read super fast workflow on EQ, very musical), and compressor section is nothing short of quite amazing. This is my subjective opinion so take it (as everything you read on internet) with grain of salt. When product is out you should at least do yourself a favor and try/demo it and decide for yourself.

New product will be out soon enough. Once again i honestly apologize for not revealing more. Hopefully you will understand.

tecolo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by tecolo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:15 pm

brockbarritt wrote:
I was planning to get all of Tim's work, but thanks for sharing this information as a way of confirmation.
If you seek for top notch rare reverbs then your money is well spent by buying Tim work. In my very honest opinion.

Ebony once when it's out test it and see how it will fit your workflow. My pure guess is that you gonna like it not just because of reverb - because other sections are superstars (imo)

Kind regards

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:21 pm

tecolo wrote:
brockbarritt wrote:
If you seek for top notch rare reverbs then your money is well spent by buying Tim work. In my very honest opinion.

Ebony once when it's out test it and see how it will fit your workflow. My pure guess is that you gonna like it not just because of reverb - because other sections are superstars (imo)

Kind regards
^^ Yep, agreed. Tim's verbs are in every mix and they sound as I've always dreamed. I just bought POL III today, as well as Nolard 555 Spring and Delay, to add to the arsenal. The new plate sounds just wonderful, and with great variables, and the Nolard spring is the dense, dirty, non-Beex20 spring I've been wanting.

P.S. Tecolo, I appreciate you respecting the NDA and letting us all figure it out for ourselves when the time comes.

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts