Must have TimP Eq

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
reggiejaxx
User Level X
User Level X

Must have TimP Eq

Post by reggiejaxx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Looking To try one of tim's eq's since they made everyone's list on the 10 top libraries.Surge seems the fav so far but i'm wondering about Raw state as well,any suggestions? :)

drezz
Expert
Expert

Re: Must have TimP Eq

Post by drezz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Both are amazing. You would not regret either i should imagine. I cannot think of one of Tim's libraries that disappoint. They are all top notch.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Importantly, what are you looking for in an EQ ?

[there is a reason why we own many].
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

reggiejaxx
User Level X
User Level X

Post by reggiejaxx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 pm

RJHollins wrote:Importantly, what are you looking for in an EQ ?

[there is a reason why we own many].

I'm not doing any mastering so mainly something with color and character but very musical,nice top end,sweet for vocals mainly.

garyk_123
User Level X
User Level X

Post by garyk_123 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Blue 1102 (n*ve) would fit the bill...for starters.

TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Post by TranscendingMusic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Gyrator is sick too 8-)
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 x64
Ryzen 2700x | Win 10 x64

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Post by SWANG » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:30 am

^+1. gyrator was the first library that came to mind based on your needs. the aforementioned blue 1102 if you're a n*ve fanboy like me is another great one. you also mentioned 'nice top end'. if you haven't checked out silk, run; don't walk!

all of tim's libraries are different...and fantastic! :)

jfjer379
Expert
Expert

Post by jfjer379 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:35 pm

im a neev fanboy too
but on vocals i prefer the amazing smooth Surge
and do the coloring with a neev pre and n14 console
and sometimes also use a HO mic

Sum 100a and/or vari level add some nice color too which i very often use on vocals, great vocal comps

so after that color i don't really need a strong color eq personally,
what i need is a smooth and very musical eq
and in Surge that is what i found, and for me it works beautiful on vocals

its outstanding on master as well of course

a lot of opinions here, not so easy to choose i think

Good luck finding your vocal eq reggiejaxx
I7 5820k • RME • Audient • Reaper64 • Win7 64 • Amethyst • Coral • Ebony • El Rey • Emerald • Gold • Honey • Ivory • Lemon • Lime • Magenta • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Ruby • Sand • Tapue • Titanium • Virgo • White2 • N3s • N4

plexus

Post by plexus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:06 pm

All of TimP's EQs are nice and it's worth getting them all, especially with the current discounts. All those mentioned are nice. But I still find them within the realm of "typically usable". I find the Rawstate ELC24 to outside of the realm of normal yet offer a wide musical range of tones. It's not a typical EQ but great for tone shaping and colour.

boldlove
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by boldlove » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:08 am

Being disposed to crude vibe and color, I didn't know how much I needed Surge, with its characteristic transparency and precision, until I got it and found myself increasingly exploiting its powers. It's definitely seeing a lot of use on vocals and combines great with more colored preamps, compressors, and even other EQs—basically I echo everything jfjer379 just said... It's at once utilitarian and euphonic, and helps you arrive at vibe and color in a less direct but perhaps more refined way.

Actually, for the price of an Acqua you could get all of Tim's EQs with the bulk discount, and you wouldn't go wrong. I find that having these variations has really improved my ears and has helped me evolve and better define my style and sound. Active experimentation is king. No lecture, course, or guidance comes close to using your own ears and cultivating your own experience; and having within your reach world-class tools like these, with all their distinct nuance and detail, is an amazing boon for the self-improving engineer. One would be extremely privileged to have access to a studio with all this gear, the experience you'd gain would give you a considerable edge over someone less-privileged—so it is with having these in the box.

reggiejaxx
User Level X
User Level X

Post by reggiejaxx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 am

boldlove wrote:Being disposed to crude vibe and color, I didn't know how much I needed Surge, with its characteristic transparency and precision, until I got it and found myself increasingly exploiting its powers. It's definitely seeing a lot of use on vocals and combines great with more colored preamps, compressors, and even other EQs—basically I echo everything jfjer379 just said... It's at once utilitarian and euphonic, and helps you arrive at vibe and color in a less direct but perhaps more refined way.

Actually, for the price of an Acqua you could get all of Tim's EQs with the bulk discount, and you wouldn't go wrong. I find that having these variations has really improved my ears and has helped me evolve and better define my style and sound. Active experimentation is king. No lecture, course, or guidance comes close to using your own ears and cultivating your own experience; and having within your reach world-class tools like these, with all their distinct nuance and detail, is an amazing boon for the self-improving engineer. One would be extremely privileged to have access to a studio with all this gear, the experience you'd gain would give you a considerable edge over someone less-privileged—so it is with having these in the box.
Hmmm didn't think of it like that,pretty much all for the price of an acqua. ;) I was pretty excited about just setting up a chain and using pretty much one main eq/comp for general mixing tasks, but now i don't know cuz of all the neb4 crashes.

I'm gonna take a wild guess most of you guys (and gals) are mainly using neb3 (when not using acquas) not neb4, and on windows.
I guessing because surely there would be more instances of crashes in neb4.
I definitely don't think it's the most stable at all for osx,and especially logic pro x.

I'm definitely going to start using reaper and also going to windows but i got a bunch of projects still in logic that i have to finish up so it's a lil too early to switch atm.
I really thought it was stable because hardly anyone seemed to be mentioning crashes,then i realized most of the users here seem to be windows and reaper64. :|

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:56 am

I'm fully switch in on N-4 in all projects.

Yes, running Windows [VST-2 only]. Not a single crash with extensive instances.

In staying to topic ... so many have already made recommends ... what more could I add, other than to say, start with one, and don't be afraid to add to the the toolbox. The mixture of sonic textures offers more than just shaping or correction. Contrasting character and attitude brings a subtle dynamic energy that can take a track to a new level.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

reggiejaxx
User Level X
User Level X

Post by reggiejaxx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:26 pm

RJHollins wrote:I'm fully switch in on N-4 in all projects.

Yes, running Windows [VST-2 only]. Not a single crash with extensive instances.

In staying to topic ... so many have already made recommends ... what more could I add, other than to say, start with one, and don't be afraid to add to the the toolbox. The mixture of sonic textures offers more than just shaping or correction. Contrasting character and attitude brings a subtle dynamic energy that can take a track to a new level.
Thanks,i definitely do that,but it's not enjoyable and seamless atm,i'm gonna give an upcoming mix a try in reaper64 (osx) all vst and see if it makes a difference.Thanks for the advice and recommendations.i'll probably grab surge and gyrator to start unless the bundle discount is enticing enough then i'll grab all.