Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Re: MFC vs. Lime

Post by AlexB » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi !
I would clarify a few things only to help to understand better the MFC library.

MFC (Modern Flagship Console) is the AMS-N**e 88RS. This console costs over one million dollars and it has designed by Robin Porter and not by Rupert N**e. Mr. Rupert has designed the 5088 and you can find it into the R88 library.
The 88RS console (MFC) is simply amazing and every channel is virtual identical to the other, so you can null them in real time. In the library the sampling has been done in stereo giving the same behavior as you can get from the console. If you like the non linearity you can use the "drive" or "G-Drive" controls, as described in the user manual. If you want more evident effect, you can split the stereo file in two mono and use one instance of Nebula for R and one for L, mixing in that fascinating old school way.
The precision, the correlated stereo, the deep and fat sound with something as ambience-atmosphere comes from the console and it's captured thanks at my custom built converters and my skills in sampling technique. No converters on the market can achieve even a percentage in performance of mine. Sorry, it has been proven.
Cheap sound, phase issues and more, are characteristics of the AMS 1U Rack channel strip and 500 series module which they would like to mime the sound of the 88RS. They are full of cheap and chinese components and they work at low voltage with switching power supply, so less headroom, dynamics, stability, harmonics... - As all 500 modules into the lunchbox; into the A.P.I console is another history -.
I have repaired and modified a few of these wanna-be-88RS in my laboratory, so I know what I say.

About aliasing, again this is the second topic about it and for the second time I say that I wouldn't worry about it for two reasons:
1 - they aren't aliasing from sampling but digital artifacts by Nat3 that I use, in more evidence if you use low DSP in Nebula.
2 - no human can hear at this low level. Surely the noise floor from your studio is higher, the same from headphone, amplifier etc.

IMHO I don't care what I see from non professional analyzer and my ears don't hear.
I do Music, not graphics... I prefer to worry about what really there is and I can't see with the eyes: infrared radiation by lamp, UV by the sun, electromagnetic radiation by WiFi and smartphone... 8-)

Thanks
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

Sheikyearbouti

Post by Sheikyearbouti » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:02 pm

AlexB wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 pm
The precision, the correlated stereo, the deep and fat sound with something as ambience-atmosphere comes from the console and it's captured thanks at my custom built converters and my skills in sampling technique. No converters on the market can achieve even a percentage in performance of mine. Sorry, it has been proven.
Hi Alex, with all respect, but would you care to elaborate on this statement? I want to make it clear that anything I post here from my personal account is on my own behalf and it is not related with AA in any way. I am posting this as an engineer, who also samples, to an engineer I respect. But when I read this, I simply think that a critical mind cannot leave such statement without a question. Have you measured your converter next to other top end converters and could you provide such data? And have you done any double blind AB tests and would you be able to provide such samples? I am sorry to be a pain, but in my mind a statement like this is simply too bold and pretentious to be made without any scientific data to back it up. But it is not just that - it also assumes that anything sampled by other developers will inevitably sound inferior. Hence I ask! Thanks, Nik
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/

djrustycans
User Level II
User Level II

Post by djrustycans » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:15 am

I’m just getting in the popcorn for this one.... :P

AlexB
Expert
Expert

Post by AlexB » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 pm

Sheikyearbouti wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:02 pm
AlexB wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 pm
Hi Alex, with all respect, but would you care to elaborate on this statement? I want to make it clear that anything I post here from my personal account is on my own behalf and it is not related with AA in any way. I am posting this as an engineer, who also samples, to an engineer I respect. But when I read this, I simply think that a critical mind cannot leave such statement without a question. Have you measured your converter next to other top end converters and could you provide such data? And have you done any double blind AB tests and would you be able to provide such samples? I am sorry to be a pain, but in my mind a statement like this is simply too bold and pretentious to be made without any scientific data to back it up. But it is not just that - it also assumes that anything sampled by other developers will inevitably sound inferior. Hence I ask! Thanks, Nik
I don't mean that anything sampled by other developers will inevitably sound inferior. Just I say why the libraries has that vibe, atmosphere and life as the original hardware. And this works for me.
I have owned and tried a lot of commercial converters from when I begun to sampling, 10 years ago, and at the end I have built my custom converters designed specifically for sampling with NAT3 and tested A/B with top notch commercials as Prism, Mytek, Lavry etc. (Everyone has a sound, a fingerprint on the material which passes through it). The results was a virtually transparent converter against the commercial units with better representation of sampled materials. Everyone has noticed this between the old libraries to the new releases.
What you hear can't be translated to data. If you take Prism AD2 and the Lavry Gold AD122 they has top similar characteristics on the datasheet but they sound a lot different. Many elements involve the final result, the power supply, IC converter, the digital filters design, the analog audio path as the choice of every single electronic component which make the whole circuit. In the mass production there are a lot of compromises but not on the custom production.
Pace.
Facebook
WebSite

antago1
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by antago1 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 am

Alex, why don't you provide a service to mod products like you named, to sound better? For example, the UAD Apollo.

AlexB
Expert
Expert

Post by AlexB » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am

antago1 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 am
Alex, why don't you provide a service to mod products like you named, to sound better? For example, the UAD Apollo.
I do it !
Every hardware can be improved in audio performance. All my libraries come from refurbished and upgraded units.

Please visit the Facebook page and the website:

http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/ale ... pgrade.htm

the pages will be updated soon.
Facebook
WebSite

antago1
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by antago1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 pm

AlexB wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am
antago1 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 am
I do it !
Every hardware can be improved in audio performance. All my libraries come from refurbished and upgraded units.

Please visit the Facebook page and the website:

http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/ale ... pgrade.htm

the pages will be updated soon.
I will definitely visit both links! Thank you!