Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Vari Level released!!

Post by sfabs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:37 am

Seriously Amazing Comp

Cant wait to test on Guitar as people are saying and the hardware unit is supposed to be great on piano too.

What I have done is smash it on vocals... incredible... I literally cant believe it...

Mixing a vocal (slightly compressed on tracking) I could easily nail 10Db of compression, no pumping, just sounds totally amazing!!

Wow... ok... Wow again... just Wow!

filterfilter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by filterfilter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:35 pm

I need a little help...

I just purchased vari level and the problem is: the threshold is super sensitive, just a little lowering and the reduction goes totally crazy. so no smooth compression at all, almost useless compression behavior.

Maybe I messed up the mast-page? can someone please post a pic with the optimal settings of the mast page so that I can use this comp?

Thanks in advance!

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:40 pm

filterfilter wrote:I need a little help...

I just purchased vari level and the problem is: the threshold is super sensitive, just a little lowering and the reduction goes totally crazy. so no smooth compression at all, almost useless compression behavior.

Maybe I messed up the mast-page? can someone please post a pic with the optimal settings of the mast page so that I can use this comp?

Thanks in advance!
I don't experience this. Are you taking care to hit the unit at -18 dB RMS? Is this in a Neb Setup?
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:53 pm

filterfilter wrote:I need a little help...

Thanks in advance!
Threshold will be more sensitive as its based on a feedback design (this is totally unique for this tech in the way it had to be applied). The normal design is usually based on input but as we are using threshold its a bit different. What happens is the output is adjusted to the envelope follower as the threshold is decreased, a compensation is needed because nebula's output gain is placed before the envelope follower and this is what you see because the compensation can only work as fast as the release. Tip- use the fastest release move the threshold slower to get your gain reduction, then adjust your release. Also this is unit is more on the leveller side as its slower.

you shouldnt need to adjust anything in master page

filterfilter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by filterfilter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm

ah ik I understand. thanks for the info.

still...is there an init that I can load so that I can reset my mast page cause I have the feeling I messed it up :?

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 pm

filterfilter wrote:ah ik I understand. thanks for the info.

still...is there an init that I can load so that I can reset my mast page cause I have the feeling I messed it up :?
pm me and I can take a look.

cheers

filterfilter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by filterfilter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 pm

markgalup wrote:
I don't experience this. Are you taking care to hit the unit at -18 dB RMS? Is this in a Neb Setup?
Yes...I am using Hornet autogain for this...great plug!

filterfilter
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by filterfilter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 pm

my messed up mast page?
Attachments
mast cat.jpg
this is my mast page...any unusual settings?

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Well, just purchased this library. Only tested on vocals, and it is amazing.

But I have some doubts that I understood all of it. Using N4 here, so the help of the skin is not possible to me.

1- The Gain fader is the "Gain In" of the skin or it is a "Make-up Gain"?
2- If you are not using the skin there is no difference between Meter Type 1 and Type 2?
3- We have Double and Triple modes together, right? It depends on the attack settings if it is Double or if it is Triple? The fastest attack behaves like the Double on the hardware and the slowest attack behaves like the Triple?

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:58 pm

1. Makeup gain

2. There should be a difference between m1 and m2 in metering even on the numerical graphic

3. Double and triple have the same release character but different attacks. Triple can go faster.

gus_vccs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by gus_vccs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:57 am

Thank you Tim. I saw that you've made a post explaining all these things. My bad.

I've been only testing this for a few hours, but I'm loving the tone and especially the compressor action on Vocals and Acoustic guitar.

ekkord
User Level V
User Level V

Post by ekkord » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 am

Would be nice to see a Retro 176 at some point...

waffleneck
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by waffleneck » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:59 am

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but I gotta say the Clipper just kicks ass on the 2bus.

Put it at the end of your 2bus chain and it punches stuff up massively!

You just crank the input gain until it sounds right and you'll see the dynamics limited in a clipped kind of a way, mids and highs glued together and clarified.

Different than anything else I've ever heard in a plugin. Missing link.
Amber, Aquamarine, Azure, Black, Blue, Coral, D361, Diamond, Ebony, Emerald, EQP1, Gold, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Nebula, N4, Ochre, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Compressors, Prime, Purple, Red, Rose, Sand, Scarlet, Silk, Tan, Titanium, Trinity, Ultramarine, White. Hardware: TLA M8 Tubetracker, Vulture Super15, Fatso, Tube Vitalizer. Apogee Symphony. N*****n KH310 monitors + KH805 sub.

akirak
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by akirak » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Hey Tim! Thanks so much for the amazing work. I'm running into weird problem with VL.. As I choose the library, the input and output knobs are funky, they are set to 9 o clock and the other to max. (Can't remember which is which and I'm away from my DAW now.) I also happen to have other issues with my Nebula so this might be linked with them.. but anyway, git any idea what could be going on?

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi,

This is another compensation for the feedback part of the preset. in short the idea is to give maximum headroom for the output gain, so its intentional for this release. I have not had this on any other library so it's understandble that you may not of seen it before. I think I remember they are set to -6 and +6 but as the inut knob is -192.** they look offset from one another