Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Re: Vari Level released!!

Post by Tim Petherick » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 pm

rossharvey wrote:Hi Tim,

A quick Q - I'm using Vari-Level for vocals and the N4 UI is a bit of a hindrance for usability (patiently awaiting the N4 skin!).

Not sure if there is something wrong with my setup, but the In/Out gain meters don't budge at all, the the gain in / out volumes on N4's text UI remain at zero.

The only value that changes is the compression GR (thankfully).

Is this common, or is there an issue with my instance of it?

(This doesn't happen on any other libraries, just Vari-Level).

Pm me and i'll take a look..Do you mean leds? there is no other in and out meter.

The gain In and gain out on numerical interface is the in and out knobs. In vari-level this were set to -6 +6 as a standard.

rossharvey
User Level X
User Level X

Post by rossharvey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:
rossharvey wrote:Hi Tim,

A quick Q - I'm using Vari-Level for vocals and the N4 UI is a bit of a hindrance for usability (patiently awaiting the N4 skin!).

Not sure if there is something wrong with my setup, but the In/Out gain meters don't budge at all, the the gain in / out volumes on N4's text UI remain at zero.

The only value that changes is the compression GR (thankfully).

Is this common, or is there an issue with my instance of it?

(This doesn't happen on any other libraries, just Vari-Level).

Pm me and i'll take a look..Do you mean leds? there is no other in and out meter.

The gain In and gain out on numerical interface is the in and out knobs. In vari-level this were set to -6 +6 as a standard.
All good - user error.

I find it harder to use comps via N4 stock UI than EQ's. Can't wait for the new skins!

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Am I the only one to find that the threshold is very very sensitive ? I put it next to zero compression, then lower it just a little bit, and the source is crushed. Any comments from other users ?
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi,

here is a post i made before as to why and a tip-
Tim Petherick wrote:
Threshold will be more sensitive as its based on a feedback design (this is totally unique for this tech in the way it had to be applied). The normal design is usually based on input but as we are using threshold its a bit different. What happens is the output is adjusted to the envelope follower as the threshold is decreased, a compensation is needed because nebula's output gain is placed before the envelope follower and this is what you see because the compensation can only work as fast as the release. Tip- use the fastest release move the threshold slower to get your gain reduction, then adjust your release. Also this is unit is more on the leveller side as its slower.

you shouldnt need to adjust anything in master page
as far as I know there is no other output compensated for feedback detection comp in nebula...

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:09 am

OK, thanks !
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

fastersound
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by fastersound » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:fixed presets for those who were asking

Here

The name has a F Followed by single. double or triple

I'm reluctant to add this too the main pack as we have many presets now.
Any chance of these fixed presets for the new N4 skin update? No worries if it's going to be a lot of work, can live without them :)

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Here ya go....
Attachments
Vari-Level properties for fixed presets.zip
(9.79 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

fastersound
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by fastersound » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:Here ya go....
Ya da man. Thank you! Final question sorry, to get as close to the original as possible, should it be an instance of the pre, followed by an instance of the compressor, followed by an instance of the clipper? Or just the pre-->compressor?

bobbybland
User Level V
User Level V

Post by bobbybland » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Should be pre,comp,clipper. How I've been using it
N4/El Ray/Taupe/Azure/Ruby/Lime/Cobalt/Sand/Amethyst/Crimson/Gold 2/Pink 2/Viridian/Diamond Lift/Tim P Libraries

TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Post by TranscendingMusic » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:09 am

Man, that clipper! 8-)
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 x64
Ryzen 2700x | Win 10 x64

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 am

^^ mmhmmm
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

stmcfl
User Level III
User Level III

Post by stmcfl » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:24 am

Having an issue, when loading Vari Level in Studio One win 10, with N4. When I click in the n4 finder on vari level and select the drop down tab next to any sample rate it always crashes Studio one. I've reinstalled did fresh installs but every time vari level with n4 crashes Studio one win 10.
Any help would be appreciated?

mr harrison
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by mr harrison » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:47 pm

so after reading through the whole thread i still dont know what the presets mean. if the original unit is using single, double and triple - why not use the same? what do the two different meter versions mean?

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Because double and triple are the same release timings....the difference between triple and double is the attack. This is why added a attack knob, it just makes it more versatile and cut down on presets

The original unit, displays -40 db meter. This is because its not telling us reduction but rather amount material being compressed.

So I gave two meter options

1. gain going over threshold, i don't know what else you can call this because I've never seen it before on any other device.

2.gain reduction.

mr harrison
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by mr harrison » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 pm

ah so the meter modes are really just meter differences? i think thats where my misunderstanding was ... i thought they were the different modes. and got me all confused ;)