Page 1 of 1

Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:45 pm
by seabstudio
I m very surprise that no one sample a tape with different bias & curve eq setting , because is was a secret weapon in the past .
In a conventional way , you calibrate your tape with a special tools , special tape etc ... but at end of process all channel sound same ! even you play a bass or a flute ;) this is not music !

In the past a lot of engineer bias the machine according to the sound come tru ...if it an hihat they bias different...for reggae bass purist , overbias to the max and change the eq curve on tape , sound really organic & fat (and kill totally the hiss ! ), do the opposite for the hihat ( it saturate & tranform tthhh in ssshhhh ;)

A reggae engineer tell me that in the past in Channel One studio , they never calibrate the 2" Ampex machine , because it all ready calibrate for instrument come tru, the patch was often always the same ...interesting no ?
It can reduce the total hiss in mixdown ( because you kill it when process bass instrument ) and create a great shape to the sound .
I already test this in my tape machine ( PR99Mk3 Revox ) with extra good success :lol: :lol:

what do you think? maybe a futur idea ...i hope it's possible to sample & add this approach ...

I want to sample my revox , but how to do with NAT , where i find a good template ( fot test ? )
Thanks

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 pm
by jfjer379
This is the reason i want an aqua tape mashine, they could totally do it :)

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:02 pm
by seabstudio
1 reply ;( snif
I who thought he had a good idea :o :o :o

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:35 pm
by dpclarkson
Cdsoundmaster's R2R library 'kind of' has these presets.
At lower levels, the highs are more present, and at higher levels,
the highs are more attenuated.
I use this all the time with any source, works great!
The Studer A800 presets from this R2R library are the ones you're looking
for.
Maybe a bit different than BIAS, but they produce nice colors.

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:17 pm
by kylen
dpclarkson wrote:Cdsoundmaster's R2R library 'kind of' has these presets.
At lower levels, the highs are more present, and at higher levels,
the highs are more attenuated.
I use this all the time with any source, works great!
The Studer A800 presets from this R2R library are the ones you're looking
for.
Maybe a bit different than BIAS, but they produce nice colors.
Yes pushing harder or lighter into these is what I'm currently playing with (the popular -18db gain staging is not necessary) also pushing a freq range (pre-emph/post-emph) works nicely. I'm in Reaper so it's pretty easy to build a G-Drive on steriods (frequency sensitive) using FF Pro-Q2 (saw a post on gearslutz recently reviving this old technique - more Dan Worrell magic). The CDSM R2R Studer has CCIR and NAB EQ, not quite bias control as you said but interesting also. CDSM also has an EL8 (dist) which is fun to push into also...good times with CDSM :)
http://cdsoundmaster.com/r2rmanual.pdf

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:31 pm
by Tim Petherick
My t-tape sat preset changes frequency as it goes into compress or distort. This works at 41ms program rate so super fast! You won't hear at as a tonal change but more of a softening because of the speed. I know this isn't necessarily what the original question was... Anyhow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iZl4ew2HcI

I have sampled the J37! Finally but need a bit of time to put it together.

There will be four channels part 1 will be a high headroom tape.

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:57 pm
by Mysterygrimms
Tim Petherick wrote:
I have sampled the J37! Finally but need a bit of time to put it together.

There will be four channels part 1 will be a high headroom tape.
Can't wait to buy it. Once you put it up, instant purchase. Need a little Abbey Road in my life right now lol.. 8-)

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:42 am
by seabstudio
Tim Petherick wrote:My t-tape sat preset changes frequency as it goes into compress or distort. This works at 41ms program rate so super fast! You won't hear at as a tonal change but more of a softening because of the speed. I know this isn't necessarily what the original question was... Anyhow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iZl4ew2HcI

I have sampled the J37! Finally but need a bit of time to put it together.

There will be four channels part 1 will be a high headroom tape.
Big thanks for the reply !

J37 ? Very good news ;)

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 am
by seabstudio
kylen wrote:
dpclarkson wrote:Cdsoundmaster's R2R library 'kind of' has these presets.
At lower levels, the highs are more present, and at higher levels,
the highs are more attenuated.
I use this all the time with any source, works great!
The Studer A800 presets from this R2R library are the ones you're looking
for.
Maybe a bit different than BIAS, but they produce nice colors.
Yes pushing harder or lighter into these is what I'm currently playing with (the popular -18db gain staging is not necessary) also pushing a freq range (pre-emph/post-emph) works nicely. I'm in Reaper so it's pretty easy to build a G-Drive on steriods (frequency sensitive) using FF Pro-Q2 (saw a post on gearslutz recently reviving this old technique - more Dan Worrell magic). The CDSM R2R Studer has CCIR and NAB EQ, not quite bias control as you said but interesting also. CDSM also has an EL8 (dist) which is fun to push into also...good times with CDSM :)
http://cdsoundmaster.com/r2rmanual.pdf
Very interesting , i want try this technique soon ! thanks for tips
I'm on reaper too , this daw is really incredible

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:59 am
by kylen
seabstudio wrote: Very interesting , i want try this technique soon ! thanks for tips I'm on reaper too , this daw is really incredible
Here's the excellent Dan Worrall video I mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Gs-o39C5o
:)

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:29 am
by seabstudio
Thanks a lot for the link

Re: Libraries idea "TAPE EQUALIZER" / Bias & curve setting

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:06 pm
by RE301
Interesting thread - thanks guys!