What Set of Emulations Comparable to Soundtoys5 ??

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
doubtingtom37
User Level VI
User Level VI

What Set of Emulations Comparable to Soundtoys5 ??

Post by doubtingtom37 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:40 pm

Was on Reaper Forums __ Acustica Core Acqua Engine Thread __ Soundtoys 5 mentioned. Heard positive comment, but this Bundle has no specific 'mainstream' FX (EQ, Compressor) yet is touted by several well-known studio engineers. Clearly they use other FX to produce winning results (Phaser, Flanger, Echo/Delay, Distortion, etc.).

What 3rd party library selections get close, and at what point does one turn to Soundtoys for certain solutions? or not :roll:

Starting point is Nebula3 Server & 3rd Party, but perhaps an Acqua choice :?:

Hope some here have exposure to Soundtoys and can provide some guidance.

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Re: What Set of Emulations Comparable to Soundtoys5 ??

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Soundtoys is really in the FX domain. Not Eqs, nor compressors. And they are the best in that domain. Echoboy, decapitator, radiator, microshift. All amazing plugz. And I don't think there is a Nebula alternative to such creative endless possibilities.
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta

doubtingtom37
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by doubtingtom37 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Great response and very timely for my needs! I had this general impression but truly needed some knowledgeable reinforcement to set priorities ....... with Blk Fri approaching rapidly.

Thanks very much

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:07 pm

welcome !
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta

AlexB
Expert
Expert

Post by AlexB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:10 am

Avgatzeblouz wrote:Soundtoys is really in the FX domain. Not Eqs, nor compressors. And they are the best in that domain. Echoboy, decapitator, radiator, microshift. All amazing plugz. And I don't think there is a Nebula alternative to such creative endless possibilities.
I totally agree. And I use it! ;)
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite
Instagram

KrazyKat46
User Level II
User Level II

Post by KrazyKat46 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:13 am

@ Alex B: Incredible post; Many thanks! I have the Demo and now realize ___ at least at my level of usage __ that it stands apart for its target market.
No confusion now in terms of A-A and 3rd Party emulations.

Regards,

Brian
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Brian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Soundtoys 5 really represents a vast expanse of tweakability and especially excels in pitch and time-based processing. It's also extremely fun to play with in real-time and incorporate into a performance.

These qualities are very different than what Nebula brings to the table, but in fact a great complement to it (Nebula's subtle tone & harmonic coloring programs along with EQ and compression are it's current and remarkable strengths).

Primal Tap in particular is a very inspiring effect and has several ways to modulate delay lines, create different distortions and feedback tone, self-oscillation, pitch shift, generate diffused low-fi reverb sounds, and a 'freeze' looping feature.

Nebula simply can't reproduce these features - although in the future with zero-latency and a hybrid approach (Nebula for tone/distortion, and an algorithmic delay line) something similar may be possible.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
[email protected]

Mixing/Mastering Engineer at Sentient Sound Labs 覺知音樂工作室

Win10 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9

KrazyKat46
User Level II
User Level II

Post by KrazyKat46 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Very cool Post @Brian and much appreciated. Supplements and reinforces previous posts nicely. I understand the complementary relationship with Nebula3/Acqua and have enjoyed the Demo greatly. Will spend a bit more time with Primal Tap after your comments.

Regards,

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Nebula can emulate tremolo and phasers very well. Flangers no, chorus maybe....
I worked on getting the best results for quite a long time..you need to follow the instructions on set up though.

here are some clips from classic phasers

https://soundcloud.com/timpetherick/hen ... horus/sets

A few free ones here https://www.dropbox.com/s/bex8cptdj06jl ... s.zip?dl=0

For info on how to use look on the phasers page
http://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads ... c-phasers/

RE301

Post by RE301 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:15 pm

As mentioned already some of the ST fx like Crystallizer really stand on their own.. I have some of the ST plugs (phase, echo & panner) and have used the time based effects on another system..

When it comes to phasers to my ears the Tim P phasers sound better, more complex and like the real thing as compared to ST Phasemistress...

And the Cupwise Nolard tape delay again sounds very lifelike & 'better' as a tape delay than ST Echoboy..

However both Phasemistress & Echoboy are infinitely more tweakable with lots of options & can also be automated

I really like ST Little Tap & will undoubtedly be shelling out for Primal Tap..