T tape Released!!! updated 05/11/15

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: T tape Released!!!

Post by greekpeet » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:33 pm

Lots of great replies, I will have to check this tape out!

Have begun using Nebula again with much better results than before. One thing I have noticed in the path, when I tried to do the whole analog signal chain simulation via Nebula my mixes got worse.

What I found out it was pretty much all of the consoles not being very well suited for the music I was doing. By using CDSM's ATR 102 and or the Stud. 820, in conduction with tape booster, and the VTMM2 or Airwindows totape 4 have given me magic results.

Interesting to see how this library places things in the sound stage.

RE301 wrote:The T Tape appears to sound very nice indeed!

I like the touch of including hiss & print through for a more authentic experience....

(I don't think any other tape emulation/algo/library has ever included a print through feature?)
Actually Michael at CDSM has some, he passed them along to me ages ago and love to add them to have a bit of a noise floor.

Michael, if your reading this let me know if its okay to host and provide a download think. PS - hope things are going well brother, will reach out to you soon!

mtalavera

Post by mtalavera » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:26 am

I've read through the manual and this thread and I still not quite sure how to use the hiss track. I've tried adding the 44.1, 15ips wav file to an empty audio track, and the wav file is only about one beat, or a 1/4 of a measure, in length (the song is in 4/4 time). I added four of the wav files to make a full measure, but I don't see any audio registering on the meters. Is there something being added that the meters can not pick up, and do I just keep adding that small wav file until it fills up the whole entire song?

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:47 am

mtalavera wrote:and I still not quite sure how to use the hiss track. I've tried adding the 44.1, 15ips wav file to an empty audio track, and the wav file is only about one beat, or a 1/4 of a measure, in length (the song is in 4/4 time). I added four of the wav files to make a full measure, but I don't see any audio registering on the meters. Is there something being added that the meters can not pick up, and do I just keep adding that small wav file until it fills up the whole entire song?
If you have a automatic looper function on your Daw this is the best way to apply.

I will increase the size of the hiss if needed. Also I can up the volume. I will do this in a few days. Many thanks

mathias
Expert
Expert

Post by mathias » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:03 am

mtalavera wrote:I've read through the manual and this thread and I still not quite sure how to use the hiss track. I've tried adding the 44.1, 15ips wav file to an empty audio track, and the wav file is only about one beat, or a 1/4 of a measure, in length (the song is in 4/4 time). I added four of the wav files to make a full measure, but I don't see any audio registering on the meters. Is there something being added that the meters can not pick up, and do I just keep adding that small wav file until it fills up the whole entire song?
yes, just loop the hiss file over the whole songlength or even a little over both borders of your song.
bring the level or the hisstrack up until you can hear the hiss, then play around in the range where you barely hear it, until it's right for you.
i reduce the hiss most of the times below the level, where it is really audible/perceivable, but it still softens the sound just a little bit.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox/x3, tracktion6/7, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6/7(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB

mtalavera

Post by mtalavera » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:10 am

Tim Petherick wrote:
mtalavera wrote:and I still not quite sure how to use the hiss track. I've tried adding the 44.1, 15ips wav file to an empty audio track, and the wav file is only about one beat, or a 1/4 of a measure, in length (the song is in 4/4 time). I added four of the wav files to make a full measure, but I don't see any audio registering on the meters. Is there something being added that the meters can not pick up, and do I just keep adding that small wav file until it fills up the whole entire song?
If you have a automatic looper function on your Daw this is the best way to apply.

I will increase the size of the hiss if needed. Also I can up the volume. I will do this in a few days. Many thanks
I got it solved on my end. I don't know if Pro Tools has an automatic looper, but it just took me less than a minute to add the small clip once, then twice, then just kept copying and pasting as the number of clips kept doubling. I also added a gain plugin, Blue Cat Audio Gain (which is free by the way), and started getting the hiss track registering on the meter with about +6db of gain. Could start hearing the hiss at about +22db of gain. The gain plugin goes all the way up to +60db, so I will add this hiss in the background and see what happens (not +60db of boosting, that was a bit much :) )

RE301

Post by RE301 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Yep, what I did was put the hiss clip in Logic, adjust tempo to region and then repeat it (hiss clip) 200x and then bounce that down for about a 4:30 solid audio hiss clip which I can call up for future use in projects.. I also used highpass filter to reduce the 50/60 cycle hum so I've got clips with hiss & hum / hiss only :-0 .... oh, how I've missed tape hiss in all its permutations!

mtalavera

Post by mtalavera » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:17 pm

RE301 wrote:Yep, what I did was put the hiss clip in Logic, adjust tempo to region and then repeat it (hiss clip) 200x and then bounce that down for about a 4:30 solid audio hiss clip which I can call up for future use in projects.. I also used highpass filter to reduce the 50/60 cycle hum so I've got clips with hiss & hum / hiss only :-0 .... oh, how I've missed tape hiss in all its permutations!
That is a great suggestion about exporting that hiss compilation track and make that longer wav file available for other projects. I had not thought of that, thank you.

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Re: T tape Released!!! updated 05/11/15

Post by Tim Petherick » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:22 pm

update 05/11/15
overall Transparency improved!

Please download from your accounts section!

sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by sfabs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:44 pm

mmmmmmm upgrades! lol

um... V3 U76 or JPN skin with gain reduction... here's hoping!

PS, canning the OPTA 3A... cant get enough of it right now!

jpn
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by jpn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:59 pm

sfabs wrote:mmmmmmm upgrades! lol

um... V3 U76 or JPN skin with gain reduction... here's hoping!

PS, canning the OPTA 3A... cant get enough of it right now!
One day you wake up and your dreams come true ......

Btw U76 in a black skin?? :lol:

sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by sfabs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:10 am

oooooo...um... black please Santa... sorry, i meant Jpn :D :D

jpn
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by jpn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:38 am

sfabs wrote:oooooo...um... black please Santa... sorry, i meant Jpn :D :D
:D

cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by cps418 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:48 pm

Has anyone had a an issue with the bass being cut 40% on the master bus while using this t-tape. I just bought it last night and i noticed a big bass cut?

fredgod
User Level I
User Level I

Post by fredgod » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:09 pm

No bass cut at all,i think it enhance bass instead.
the sheen is not like studer but it is fine,tim must consider a studer 827 or 820 asap.

Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Post by Tim Petherick » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:27 pm

J37 has a sheen.... :-)

T-tape does filter a bit on low end more so on 7.15ips but is normal not unless your experiencing something else. It also boosts a little bass