AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy
Contact:

AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by AlexB » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello,

the Valve Tech Dynamics library has been released !!!

C1B - C2A: are new libraries sampled at 44.1kHz and 96kHz, programmed with the new AlexB's compressor technique for the best flexibility and sound.

All tube-based Opto compressors from 1985. The number of hit records featuring these compressors is countless and the number of stars demanding them for their recording and mixing is extreme! Use them for keys, guitars, vocals, mixbus, mastering, the result is always musical and transparent. Some differences exist between the two units, the C2A dual compressor has a little more "round" character to the compression and a little different frequency response compared to C1B mono compressor. The units has been refurbished with BC audio capacitors and NOS Telefunken / Siemens tubes.

To upgrade the library please send an email request. Upgrade costs 8,00EUR.

Please, check the website and download the user manual and try the Demo, they have the same audio quality and performance of the commercial releases but with some restrictions.

No C.P. !

http://www.alessandroboschi.eu

Image Image

Thank you, all the best ! 8-)
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

User avatar
evaderod
User Level IX
User Level IX
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:01 am

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by evaderod » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:50 am

These were too much to resist for me so I pulled the trigger. Thanks for your improvements as well Alex. :)

ce1909
Member
Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by ce1909 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:03 am

I see it listed on the Silver purchase page but not the product page.
Link please.

User avatar
evaderod
User Level IX
User Level IX
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:01 am

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by evaderod » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:09 am


ce1909
Member
Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by ce1909 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:12 am

Thanks for the link. I had the wrong name, was looking for C1B C2A.

Avgatzeblouz
Expert
Expert
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by Avgatzeblouz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Can sonemone share the improvements ? And how does it compare to TimP Blue Mu ?
Samplitude Pro X3 suite - Sequoia 14 / Windows 10 pro x64 / Pearl / Titanium / N4 / Pink / Pink compressors / Prime Comp+Mix+Curve + Caribou comp + Black Eq + Black comp / Sand / Lime / Acquamarine / Emerald / Ultramarine / Silk / Gold / Cobalt / Ebony / Ivory / BlueEQ / Lemon / Magenta / Azure

User avatar
AlexB
Expert
Expert
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: NW Italy
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by AlexB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:44 am

It's more fast and better if you download the demo and try/compare it with your materials and ears ;)
Close your eyes and Mix with the ears
Facebook
WebSite

bryan7nebula
User Level X
User Level X
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:05 am

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by bryan7nebula » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:16 pm

I just tried the demo for twenty minutes on a drum loop A/B with MJUC.

Wow. These are great. MJUC, as good as it is, does not compare sonically to either the C1B or C2A. This has been the most pleasant experience I have ever had with a Nebula compressor.

I pushed the C1B to a smash setting, and it sounded wonderful. I think the C2A is stronger/meatier for more moderate settings.

I have been more of a fan of Alex's EQs--until now. In my humble opinion, these truly compare to hardware compressors.

When switching back and forth between MJUC and either Valve Tech, the digital harshness of MJUC was apparent. I was surprised at the difference.

And there are no Nebula caveats with this compressor. You spin the dials, and they do what they are supposed to do. It is essentially as controllable as an "algo" compressor, with the clear, gentle sound of Nebula. Great job.

I would love to hear what others think.

Shuriken
User Level II
User Level II
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by Shuriken » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:04 am

To be honest, Nebula isn't my go-to plugin for compression, but since I'm a big fan of optical compressors and these libraries come from a name with proven reputation, I've decided to give it a try.

I was testing the demo on a vocals which needed generous amount of compression, but I noticed that these programs (especially C2A) were really "gentle", so that I could barely hear the compression. Even when I was getting reduction of up to -15 dB, I was feeling like I'm just lowering the volume. I think that the other Nebula compressors are much more aggressive. Does anyone has any experience to share about this?

One thing that I really like about VTD is the tone it gives to my tracks. Sometimes I put it in the signal path to add some warmth, without compressing, just like the real hardware! But there's a small issue with that. Even when threshold is set to 0 dB, I still get 0,5 to 1,5 dB of gain reduction on the Nebula meters. Any explanation on this?

myimo
User Level VII
User Level VII
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by myimo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:39 am

Hi Shuriken

I don't know if you saw this in the Alexb manual but it might solve the problem.
2.1 - Parameter Settings

Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula

User avatar
flipnautold
Expert
Expert
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Germany, Düsseldorf
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by flipnautold » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:17 pm

How does it compare to the real hardware?

What does the hardware better?
Where shines the software?
Studio One on Intel i7 4790k.
Aquas i like are: Lime, Gold, Pink2412, Amethyst2, Honey

Shuriken
User Level II
User Level II
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by Shuriken » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:57 pm

myimo wrote:Hi Shuriken

I don't know if you saw this in the Alexb manual but it might solve the problem.
2.1 - Parameter Settings

Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula
Hello, myimo

Yes, I've read the manual and noticed that section. I was using Nebula version 1.3.7xx which was set almost identical to those parameters, with only one difference being in the AHEAD setting (5,9 in my version), so I haven't made any changes. Today, I've installed the newest version (1.3.903) and I've noticed big difference in the value of those settings, which are rather low in this version. I will set this parameters as written above and check it again.

Is there any way to fine-tune the settings numbers, except holding Shift while dragging the slider?

flipnaut wrote:How does it compare to the real hardware?

What does the hardware better?
Where shines the software?
Would be cool if someone could do A/B testing between the real hardware and those libraries.

hifi3000
User Level 0
User Level 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by hifi3000 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Shuriken wrote:
myimo wrote:Hi Shuriken

I don't know if you saw this in the Alexb manual but it might solve the problem.
2.1 - Parameter Settings

Some parameters must to be set into Nebula's MAST Page for better performance and Nebula experience:

1 – set the Mode from SIMPLE to GURU
2 – set the AHEAD to 6ms
3 – set the RATE CNV to 4500ms
4 – click on save and reload Nebula
Hello, myimo

Yes, I've read the manual and noticed that section. I was using Nebula version 1.3.7xx which was set almost identical to those parameters, with only one difference being in the AHEAD setting (5,9 in my version), so I haven't made any changes. Today, I've installed the newest version (1.3.903) and I've noticed big difference in the value of those settings, which are rather low in this version. I will set this parameters as written above and check it again.

Is there any way to fine-tune the settings numbers, except holding Shift while dragging the slider?

flipnaut wrote:How does it compare to the real hardware?

What does the hardware better?
Where shines the software?
Would be cool if someone could do A/B testing between the real hardware and those libraries.
Hey Shuriken,

have you had success with adjusting those parameters? I am asking because I kind of find myself in the same situation. Feeling as if moving the volume fader myself was a picture that I had as well, so I am interested if you have any news to share.

Shuriken
User Level II
User Level II
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by Shuriken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:41 pm

hifi3000 wrote: Hey Shuriken,

have you had success with adjusting those parameters? I am asking because I kind of find myself in the same situation. Feeling as if moving the volume fader myself was a picture that I had as well, so I am interested if you have any news to share.
Hello, hifi3000

I've set the parameters according to the AlexB's manual, as myimo mentioned. I believe there's no reason not to do that, because AlexB certainly knows what he's talking about.

As far as audio quality is concerned, I don't think I've noticed any difference.
To be honest, I'm not sure what are the benefits of doing this, so would great if someone could enlighten us.

malekmusic
User Level VII
User Level VII
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Re: AlexB - Valve Tech Dynamics (upgrade from old OTD)

Post by malekmusic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 am

i had exactly the same experience yesterday. maybe there is something wrong with the demofiles?? i tried to compres vocals, but it sounded really strange. the gain reduction did reduce the volume and the tone was definatly the T******h tone, but the compression action was really weird, kind of no compression.the threshold was pushed down to maximum and playing along with the attack and release didnt help either. all it did do was lowering the volume of the vocals.

Post Reply