BIG update- Raybon+Wyte HP/LP filters

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

BIG update- Raybon+Wyte HP/LP filters

Post by Cupwise » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:04 am

I've always personally felt that having dynamics in a Nebula program is an important part of having a fluid sounding result, which is why in my past releases (with this being the 25th) including thousands of programs and hundreds of vectors, I've only released one vector without dynamics available. That was the notch/band-pass filter in Yourei B. Doing that with dynamics would have been practically impossible so I had to go the route of providing a pass-through with dynamics to pair with it. With the LFO programs using that filter, you still get a pretty fluid sound anyway. But basically I like to try to cram dynamics into things that normally don't have them, hence these filters. However much of a difference it really makes is up to you to decide.

Long story short, there are 3 HP filters, and 3 LP filters, all sampled with dynamics (it's still very rare in nebula for anything with sampled adjustable controls to have dynamics also).

Clues to the hardware used and more info/demos etc are at the site and in the manual, which you can look at.

Check it out, grab the demo programs (should work even with free versions of Nebula), and listen to the audio demos!
Last edited by Cupwise on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise Nebula release- Raybon+Wyte HP/LP filters

Post by Cupwise » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 pm

i just updated this set, by adding 3 new vectors. a pass through for both the raybon/white hardware, and then a bonus HP filter (making it the 4th HP in the library). info about the bonus HP filter is in the manual which has been updated (and can be viewed from the page).

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: BIG update- Raybon+Wyte HP/LP filters

Post by Cupwise » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Following the recent updates I've made to my Mix Pack HP/LP Filters 1-3 releases, this much older library just got a pretty major update, bringing it up to date with my more recent filter programs. One change- these filters have been moved to the same category as the MP 1-3 filters, so now if you have all of these libraries, you have a lot of cool HP/LP (and other types) filters all in one spot. It makes using them a lot more enjoyable imo.

But the filter programs in this library got a lot more improvements than just being moved to a new category. Here’s the info:

* Fixed some issues with the Tee-B-one program. First off, it wasn’t using its dynamic samples… at all! I just noticed this after all these years. The program still worked fine, but it just didn’t respond to incoming dynamics of your input at all, to use the different dynamics I sampled for the effect. Fixed. When selecting different filter positions the overall level would change a little bit. Now it’s consistent.

* Removed ‘drive’ control, added ‘trim’ for the pass-through programs, doesn’t really matter either way since the harmonics are so low, but I don’t like the old drive control.

* Reduction in CPU use for most filter programs, without sacrificing sound quality. Also the load times and ram use are reduced.

* Removed all harmonic kerns from all Raybon programs. Upon closer inspection of the actual impulses for the harmonics, the highest dynamic steps I sampled actually had very low level harmonics. There was barely any harmonic content captured in my sampling. What was there is more than 100dB below the level of the fundamental in almost all normal use of the programs. Removing the (barely existant) harmonics brought down CPU use GREATLY. It’s around 1/10th the original use for the LP and around 1/4th for the HP. I have no idea why the unit has such low distortion, but this is what I got out of it. If you look at the old programs in Christian Budde’s vst analyser, it appears that they actually have *higher* than normal harmonics, but even though I really like and regularly use his vst analyser, it can be misleading in some cases, and harmonics with Nebula is one of the cases where it can be misleading (it would take a lot of effort for me to explain why I think this happens). If you just run a test tone at 1khz through the old programs and view it in a spectrum analyzer plug-in you get an entirely different result, and can see that the harmonics are actually very very low, almost non-existant, even with high level input. The actual impulses themselves were even a bit deceptive. They *looked* to have harmonic content across a 40db range in some cases but they’re always very low in level, and really close to the noise floor. This is all why I was fooled into having the LP originally be a 10k program. Long story short- trust me, the harmonics weren’t doing anything but drastically increasing CPU use. At least removing them now reduces it!

* Removed most harmonics for Wyte programs also. Left a couple of kerns of distortion. Did this for the same reason as above with the Raybon, but the distortion wasn’t *quite* as low here as with Raybon programs, so I left a few kerns in. I also shortened the harmonics that are left. This lowered CPU use with these programs too.

* Removed the one harmonic kern for the tb1 program. Again, it was just too low to be worth keeping.

* Moved filter programs from the RB* and RB categories for 44.1khz and 96khz libraries, to the ‘CM4’ and ‘CM9’ categories. These new categories are shared by some of my other releases, including Mixing Filter packs 1-3, and soon, the YouRei HP/LP release. So now if you have all of those releases, you have access to many different HP/LP filters, all in the same place, which is really nice.

* Drastically reduced the number of programs, because they just aren’t needed. There were lite, full, and shq versions for all of the filter programs in the past. Now lite isn’t needed, because the full versions have had their CPU use lowered. So lite versions are gone, which helps reduce clutter. This really matters now since I’ve also moved the programs to a category shared by other filter releases of mine, so if you have those releases, you can quickly pick from many different filters, without too much visual clutter in the list. I also removed the SHQ programs. Trust me, they aren’t needed now. The full versions are now the best quality versions. I also removed the pass-through programs from the category with the filters. Now they’re only found in the ‘PRE’ then ‘CW9’ and ‘CW4’ categories where I put all of my pass-throughs from other releases.

* Fixed irregularities in the T-BeeOne program, when selecting different filter positions the overall level would change a little bit. Now it’s consistent.

* Size of library reduced (saves drive space).

plexus

Post by plexus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:48 pm

Thanks for the update. What are the install instructions for over-writing the previous version? I don't want to make an assumption about what to delete. I didn't see instructions on how to do the update.

It doesn't look like I can easily weed out the V1 files or do an over-write of V2 files over V1 and get all the V1 files. Is there some strategy I can use to update from V1 to V2 that doesn't involve picking all the files individually? If I have to pick out all the V1 files individually can you off a list of them to make this easier?

Why oh why is there not an installer for Nebula libraries....

plexus

Post by plexus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:32 am

I went through the pain of comparing my backup files for V1 to what's in the program and vectors folders to manually remove V1. I like the new organization of these libraries!!
Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 7.24.02 PM.png

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:36 pm

the install procedure was outlined in the update email i sent out. it had a list of the v1 filenames to look for. it also mentioned an important note about backwards compatibility. you should read that part of the email now if you still haven't, and if you have any questions about it i'll probably reply to an email faster than a forum post. this place isn't active enough in my threads for me to check it every day.

and yeah i think the organization is much nicer. i'm planning on grouping more of my older libraries into the same categories like that. a few of my comps will go into one comp category (the one smack VU is in), for example. also i've been working on having nice library descriptions in the dictionary rom.xml for all of my libraries, for both n3 and n4 (n4 can have more characters). i'll probably make a post about that at some point..

plexus

Post by plexus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 pm

I see the email now. But at the time I didn't see it, I only saw the other email with the links. My email app was acting weird and not showing me all the emails in the right order so that's probably how I missed it.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 pm

no problem. just hope the backwards compatibility issue didn't cause you any trouble. and that's why i can't have an installer. when i do updates, sometimes they maintain full backwards compatibility, sometimes they have a little, and sometimes they have none, and i have to basically tell people what their options are for installing the update. i really hate releasing updates with no BC but sometimes it's necessary for the updates to be possible, and imo it's worth doing that more than it is just not doing the update. in this case you can at least have both versions installed at the same time (and they show up in different categories so that helps keep them separate).

plexus

Post by plexus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Hey Tim. It went fine. I think the library installer issue is one that is AA's responsibility. It takes a lot of time to keep things organized. In some ways I wish I never got into Nebula because of all the over-head it takes me. But there it is, live and learn. At least it mostly works except for some pretty serious CPU consmption bugs which limits my use of it even on a 12-core Mac. oh AA....

And the backwards compatibility with library updates is also an issue too. I generally opt to go with the update and remove the old version. I do this because its easier to manage. if I have open an old project that uses old libraries, oh well - just means I have to re-mix that stem a bit. That is just ONE of the many work-arounds and comprimises I have to make using Nebula because the usability of it is so poor.

AA are you listening? I thought not.

Cupwise wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 pm
no problem. just hope the backwards compatibility issue didn't cause you any trouble. and that's why i can't have an installer. when i do updates, sometimes they maintain full backwards compatibility, sometimes they have a little, and sometimes they have none, and i have to basically tell people what their options are for installing the update. i really hate releasing updates with no BC but sometimes it's necessary for the updates to be possible, and imo it's worth doing that more than it is just not doing the update. in this case you can at least have both versions installed at the same time (and they show up in different categories so that helps keep them separate).