AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
elbadaoui
User Level 0
User Level 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:02 am

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by elbadaoui » Tue May 27, 2014 12:11 pm

AlexB wrote:Don't worry, my software will be usable for life.
good news !

hwasser
User Level VIII
User Level VIII
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 am

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by hwasser » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm thinking of buying this. My projects are 44.1 khz, would there be any reason not to buy the 44.1 khz program in my case? Does 96 khz sound better when it is being converted down to 44.1 by nebula anyway?

User avatar
Shibata
User Level X
User Level X
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 pm
Location: Odessa Ukraine
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by Shibata » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:48 pm

I did some test and found that the 96khz vectors are little better. So, i work with 44khz in project, when its done, just convert the main track to 96 and print Nebula with 96khz version and then, downsample the whole mix to 44. In null test, the cumulative influence fairly big. I discovered this effect, after buying EAR bundle, where the difference was apparent even within the same project frequency, without internal Nebula rateconversion. And now I'm doing it with all libraries.

hwasser
User Level VIII
User Level VIII
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 am

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by hwasser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:38 am

Hm, running everything in 96 khz would maybe not be such good idea because my project is already running at 80% CPU (8 core x 4 ghz) and 6 gb ram xD

richie43
Expert
Expert
Posts: 5041
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by richie43 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:03 am

Shibata wrote:I did some test and found that the 96khz vectors are little better. So, i work with 44khz in project, when its done, just convert the main track to 96 and print Nebula with 96khz version and then, downsample the whole mix to 44. In null test, the cumulative influence fairly big. I discovered this effect, after buying EAR bundle, where the difference was apparent even within the same project frequency, without internal Nebula rateconversion. And now I'm doing it with all libraries.
I think your results are subjective (my opinion). I did similar tests and felt the opposite of what you say. I am not saying you are wrong, but I am saying that you are not necessarily right either. I personally "hear" negative results the more sample-rate conversion happens for any reason. Even the developers of libraries don't agree about this topic;
Some release only at 96khz and say that even with sample-conversion this is the best possible scenario. Some devs say to ALWAYS use a library that is at the sample-rate you are working in if it is available. And there is even one dev (sorry, I can't say who because I don't think they are willing to try to explain and possibly get into arguments with other devs...lol) that says 44.1kHz is superior for sampling and is hesitant to bother with anything else....
And guess what? All of the libraries from all of these devs sound amazing at any sample-rate with or without conversion. I guess my main point is that I hope people don't over-think this, just go make and mix music. I bet not a single song or mix was ever determined to be good or bad based on whether or not the "right" sample-rate was used, the "right" library was used, etc. If YOU feel like your results are netter with using all 96kHz and down-sampling, then it us the right work-flow for you. Just keep in mind that it may be for you and not at all "right" for someone else. "There are many ways to skin a cat" (I always hated that phrase, I love my 3 cats......lol)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

RJHollins
Expert
Expert
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by RJHollins » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:07 am

First ... I thought AlexB supplies all available samplerates as a single package ... hmmm.

Anyway ... I would suggest that Nebula's 'sample rate conversion' to be of minimal concern. Setting aside all the variables that take place when switching a projects samplerate [and their contributing sonic impact], the multiple conversions then required, as well as the computer resources, can be impractical.

This is, of course, a personal decision to make. As a mastering engineer I don't have issue maintaining a 44.1k rate throughout a project. I feel bit depth is important, and will convert to 32-float at the mastering stage regardless of the format I'm sent.

Doesn't specifically answer the OP question ... intentionally ;)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

richie43
Expert
Expert
Posts: 5041
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by richie43 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:15 am

RJHollins wrote:First ... I thought AlexB supplies all available samplerates as a single package ... hmmm.

Anyway ... I would suggest that Nebula's 'sample rate conversion' to be of minimal concern. Setting aside all the variables that take place when switching a projects samplerate [and their contributing sonic impact], the multiple conversions then required, as well as the computer resources, can be impractical.

This is, of course, a personal decision to make. As a mastering engineer I don't have issue maintaining a 44.1k rate throughout a project. I feel bit depth is important, and will convert to 32-float at the mastering stage regardless of the format I'm sent.

Doesn't specifically answer the OP question ... intentionally ;)
Indeed! that's why I said that if you do need to convert, don't worry about it. But if you don't want to convert, don't worry about that either.
By the way, I also do all of my processing at 32bit FP. In the digital realm, it is a huge safety net of virtually endless headroom. If a signal clips (digitally, not at the convertors or at a plugin) at 32bit, you can bring the item level down and like magic, no clipping!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

User avatar
Shibata
User Level X
User Level X
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 pm
Location: Odessa Ukraine
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by Shibata » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 am

hwasser
Yes, it is not practical. I just use over 500 instance in project, so I did not save with a powerful DAW, whatever the power, because of cumulative latency. Therefore i use internal bounce and the entire process is a discrete.

Just because i don't care about workflow, but quality.

richie43
I did not mean Nebula internal sample-rate conversion.
I work in 44.1 32bit float and upsample only the signal, not the vectors. Then bounce the dry signal in 96 32 and open a separate project with 96 32 settings. And than, print the original 96kHz vectors, not the conversion one. And finaly, mixdown to 44.1 32.
The sonic difference result will be differ from internal Nebula RTC.
And yes, you're right I do not impose my opinion, just shared my example.
__________________
http://dropmefiles.com/igoUu

Print on live drums AlexB N**e 88RS Master Bus Clean
4 copy.
44 32 - project settings and 44.1 version of vectors.
96-44 32 - project settings are 96 32 and 96kHz version of vectors. Than mixdown to 44 32.
Added a null phase difference as well

Yes, without null is hard audible, but the more processing in project the more obvious.

richie43
Expert
Expert
Posts: 5041
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA
Contact:

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by richie43 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Shibata wrote:I did not mean Nebula internal sample-rate conversion.
I work in 44.1 32bit float and upsample only the signal, not the vectors. Then bounce the dry signal in 96 32 and open a separate project with 96 32 settings. And than, print the original 96kHz vectors, not the conversion one. And finaly, mixdown to 44.1 32.
The sonic difference result will be differ from internal Nebula RTC.
And yes, you're right I do not impose my opinion, just shared my example.
__________________
http://dropmefiles.com/igoUu

Print on live drums AlexB N**e 88RS Master Bus Clean
4 copy.
44 32 - project settings and 44.1 version of vectors.
96-44 32 - project settings are 96 32 and 96kHz version of vectors. Than mixdown to 44 32.
Added a null phase difference as well

Yes, without null is hard audible, but the more processing in project the more obvious.
Like I said, whatever works for you IS the right way. But I do agree with quality over work-flow; I do quite a bit of batch processing in Reaper with Nebula, which takes considerably more time. But the end result is awe4some.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

triggerthehorizon
User Level II
User Level II
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: AlexB - Modern Flagship Console : RELEASED !

Post by triggerthehorizon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:22 pm

This has probably been asked before, but I bought this console yesterday and I was wondering how to properly use it in reaper. I get that i have to put a line input at the beginning of each track, but do I have to put one on the master as well along with the baster track modern preset?
If I'm using a Vsti like superior drummer, should my chain look like this? Superior drummer- line input - drums buss preset ?
Does the bass go along with the guitar buss? And how do you guys make busses and route them properly in reaper?

Post Reply