C660 mk3 Comp/Limiter - Major new update

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!!!!!

Post by Cupwise » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 pm

glad you guys like it! i've been meaning to update this library for a couple of years now and have had several people asking me about it, but i think it was better that i waited because i've learned a few more ways to improve things from the comps and updates i've done in that time.

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Post by SWANG » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Hey Tim. Did you receive my email?

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:08 pm

asking for the update? yeah i replied with the code, looks like 10 minutes after i got it. i just resent it

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Re: C660 mk3 Comp/Limiter - Major new update

Post by SWANG » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks. Got it this time. 😎

Han Solo
User Level III
User Level III

Post by Han Solo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi Tim,

I didn't received the update.

Best Regards

Cyrille

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 am

Han Solo wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 pm
Hi Tim,

I didn't received the update.

Best Regards

Cyrille
hi
i don't know who you are through a forum post, so you're going to have to email me so i can get your email address.

Han Solo
User Level III
User Level III

Post by Han Solo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 pm

I received the update, great !!!

Can you please explain the procedure for Mac ?

I use only Audio Units plug ins.

How can i do that for Mac :
"• The.xmlfilesinthe'nebula-configs'folderneedtobeinstalledinthe location on your computer where your nebula vst plugin(s) is/are. Now you need to edit them. Find the 'XXX' in the file (it's right near the top and easy to spot):
<DATAPATH> XXX </DATAPATH>
and replace that with the path to your Nebula install. Mine looks like this:
<DATAPATH> c:\nebulatemprepository\ </DATAPATH>
Do this for all of the .xmls you just installed here.
• Last,makefourcopiesofyourNebula3plug-in.dllfile.Nowrenamethese copies like this:
C660mk3-A.dll C660mk3-B.dll C660mk3-C.dll C660mk3-D-Special.dll
Now they should match the filenames of the .xml files that you placed here.
That should be it! Now when you refresh the plug-in list in your DAW, you should see four new instances of C660 show up in your plug-in list (one each, for A, B, C, and D-Special versions of C660)."

I really don't understand the procedure for Mac Os X and Nebula 3.

Cheers

Cyrille

xenoform
User Level I
User Level I

Post by xenoform » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:10 am

Tim, i have to say, it's not just an improvement, it's whole quantum leap in compression quality and natural character.
I'm so excited with this comp. Now i can use it on multiple sources, even at main bus to add firm punch and glue. This comp unique and now it truly unleashes it's potential!
Congratulations on this update. You made a true level up with your compressors. Please don't stop! (we need your 33609 updated and many many more new!)

BTW: Сomp D, modded with attack and release from S*L 4K... what a monster creature! Real wild animal )))

Shibata
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by Shibata » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Agree with all of the above. Bought it a 5 years ago and due to the lack of the compression on those days in nebula world, this unit lay on the shelf all this time.
But now, he has become one of the foremost among the main compressors. Great for vocals and mix bus!

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:48 pm

thanks for the comments and glad you like the update guys! it definitely is a huge update for this library.
xenoform wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:10 am
Please don't stop! (we need your 33609 updated and many many more new!)

BTW: Сomp D, modded with attack and release from S*L 4K... what a monster creature! Real wild animal )))
glad you like D-Special! as for 609, i am already working on it, and progress is going nicely. that one will really bring that release forward from the stone age. then after that i want to update slick9k and then all of my comps (i think it will be 9 total) will be up to date!
Han Solo wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 pm
I received the update, great !!!
Can you please explain the procedure for Mac ?
I use only Audio Units plug ins.
I really don't understand the procedure for Mac Os X and Nebula 3.
Cheers
Cyrille
i have to admit i don't know much about nebula and mac. kind of weird how after all these years i never really had enough customer mac specific questions to really make me feel much of a need to get more familiar with it. i used to expect that to happen but it never did. anyway, i *think* you can use nebulasetups by zabukowski, for mac, and create duplicates that way. and maybe you can alter the settings for each one through that program also. i would think there would have to be a way to do it manually (especially if nebulasetups can do it) but i just don't know. maybe someone else here does? if you want to email me i can try to help you figure this out in more depth.

hopsing
User Level I
User Level I

Post by hopsing » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm

I have a question concerning the two threshold knobs. As far as I understand the original unit, the left dc threshold goes from very soft knee on the counterclockwise position to hard knee further clockwise. The right, kind of regular, threshold knob goes from no compression fully counterclockwise to compression. The harder the knee gets the more you have to turn up the second threshold to have the same amount of compression. With the c660 mk3 it seems to me you did not replicate that behaviour of the knobs. Knowing the way the original unit works, I have a hard time replicating its compression behaviour with the way your threshold knobs work. They feel kind of erratic to me, and I cannot find the sweet spot for that ultra soft knee invisible compression a vary mu of that topology should be capable of. I know, because I have a DIY (kind of) replica of that EAR unit here with me and it feels different compression wise.
Other than that this is a great plugin you have here. Sounds great and for punchy compression it works quite well.

Gorgol
User Level III
User Level III

Post by Gorgol » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:07 pm

Stellar upgrade!
I'm amazed.
:!:

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 am

hopsing wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm
I have a question concerning the two threshold knobs. As far as I understand the original unit, the left dc threshold goes from very soft knee on the counterclockwise position to hard knee further clockwise. The right, kind of regular, threshold knob goes from no compression fully counterclockwise to compression. The harder the knee gets the more you have to turn up the second threshold to have the same amount of compression. With the c660 mk3 it seems to me you did not replicate that behaviour of the knobs. Knowing the way the original unit works, I have a hard time replicating its compression behaviour with the way your threshold knobs work. They feel kind of erratic to me, and I cannot find the sweet spot for that ultra soft knee invisible compression a vary mu of that topology should be capable of. I know, because I have a DIY (kind of) replica of that EAR unit here with me and it feels different compression wise.
Other than that this is a great plugin you have here. Sounds great and for punchy compression it works quite well.
not sure if this will help you get the exact results you want, but:
a) the two thresh knobs are 'swapped' in my programs, as stated in the manual. so the 'first' one on the hardware, is the second one in my programs.
b) the first threshold in my programs, which is the more normal one (the one that doesn't affect knee and just affects amount of compression), is inverted from how it works on the hardware, to be more like a typical thresh control, where counterclockwise is what results in more compression. (i'm sure you figured this out just by using it)
c) the reason i have 3 different versions (not counting D-special which is... well, special) is because i sampled it in different ways, due to those two threshold controls kind of complicating things. so the different versions were done by sampling the thresh controls in different ways, and with version A there was some input gain added as the dc thresh was moved towards hard knee, because you'd get less gain reduction when you did so. so i added some input gain to drive it to give similar amounts as it moved more towards the hard knee side. version C is more of just a straight sampling without adjusting input gain, just getting the various positions of the dc thresh. B is kind of a compromise between a and c. but basically, don't overlook trying versions B and C of the compressor. if you mess around with those as well as A you may find something more like what you're looking for.
d) soft knee settings should be the ones with my thresh 2 control at the more counterclockwise settings (so settings closer to -100)

Gorgol wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:07 pm
Stellar upgrade!
I'm amazed.
:!:
thanks gorgol, glad you like it!

hopsing
User Level I
User Level I

Post by hopsing » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:23 pm

:D reading the manual helps sometimes, sorry, well, I read it, but obviously not good enough. I will try again and see/hear how close I can get.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:37 pm

it's cool. i feel like it's really hard writing those manuals and getting the important info across when there's so much stuff to talk about and it's probably impossible to remember it all. even if the manuals are only 4 or 5 pages of actual text they do feel like a slog to read through. not even sure if slog is a word.