Free 3rd Party Programs
drezz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set

Post by drezz » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:30 pm

[email protected] wrote:
drezz wrote:Great news. Downloading now, looking forward to hear it! :D
tell us as fast as you can about the update on how it sounds and behave :)
Well, i had a quick tweak with drums and i have to say, it's just like Tim said..........It's like the old one, but better.

It just sounds good. it has the F**rCh**d thing going on (even though it's sampled from a bit of an esoteric clone/influenced-by unit). Not just the attack release curves, but the tone of it is very nice. I always try for the ringo 'she said, she said' drum compression sound when using a FC type unit on a test, with the whack and the louder cymbals swell thing happening, and it does it in spades.............

I always considered the nebula compressor scene coming of age for the first time and sounding proper when this library arrived on the scene, and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for that sound. It's a keeper........Bravo :)
Official Acustica Audio Dealer for UK/Ireland.

https://www.facebook.com/AcusticaUKDealer

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!

Post by Cupwise » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:46 pm

@rich
the thing about the thresholds being swapped was always in there, even in the old set, and it's just saying that the threshold controls in the nebula program are reversed from how they are on the hardware. i mean thresh 1 in the program is the 2nd one on the hardware.

the 'compressor' and 'limiter' programs were sampled, each using one half of what was the first threshold control on the hardware. one side gave something more like a limiter knee and the other side more like a typical compression knee, so i split the samples into two programs, one comp and one limiter.

the combo1 and combo2 programs were additional samplings of the hardware, and each use the full range of the first threshold control, so you can get both the 'limiting' and 'compressing' behavior.

i sampled it 3 different times for the compression, each with different levels of input drive and i believe one of those times there was something else in the hardware chain but i can't remember what it was offhand, just something to provide a bit more boost going into the compressor to 'see what happens'. maybe it was a 1176 or the 33609 or something else. one of those 3 samplings was split into the 'comp' and 'lim' programs, and the other 2 were labelled 'combo1' and 'combo2' just because they included both the comp and limiter sides of that threshold control.

yes its a bit needlessly confusing. the simple answer is that they're all slightly different so just try them all out. i know one of the combo ones for example can actually be set up to provide something like expansion.

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Ok thanks....so in YOUR NEBULA version, which threshold is the one that behaves more like a "normal" threshold and which is the "knee"?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 pm

I think I get it now.....Maybe I am under-caffeinated.....

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:43 pm

richie43 wrote:Ok thanks....so in YOUR NEBULA version, which threshold is the one that behaves more like a "normal" threshold and which is the "knee"?
aha! good question! and this is precisely why i swapped which was which.

in my programs the thresh1 is the one that's more like a normal threshold, on the hardware its the 2nd one. i wanted it to be the first one so i swapped them. the 2nd one (on my programs) seems to do something like a combination of adjusting the knee and maybe somehow changing the ratio. but i can't really be certain exactly what all it's doing.

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Cupwise wrote:
richie43 wrote:Ok thanks....so in YOUR NEBULA version, which threshold is the one that behaves more like a "normal" threshold and which is the "knee"?
aha! good question! and this is precisely why i swapped which was which.

in my programs the thresh1 is the one that's more like a normal threshold, on the hardware its the 2nd one. i wanted it to be the first one so i swapped them. the 2nd one (on my programs) seems to do something like a combination of adjusting the knee and maybe somehow changing the ratio. but i can't really be certain exactly what all it's doing.
Awesome, thanks!

himhui
Expert
Expert

Post by himhui » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:57 am

Tim, thanks for the upgrade!!
97v4 /Win10 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.7/X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks for the update !

Look forward to checking tonite.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

RE301

Post by RE301 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:06 pm

How amazing... thank you for making such huge overhaul available as a free update to existing users (!)..

Quite a generous move considering how extensive the changes are & that it took nearly the same amount of time & effort to create this update as making the original library (!)..

I look forward to exploring this revamped model - the orig version was still one of the best compressors I've heard in nebula so far...

Thanks again - much appreciated!

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:41 pm

I've had more time with the update....It seems like more than an update. I liked the first version, but before I knew any specifics of any possible issues, there were a few things that never "felt" right about it when using it (for me), so eventually I stopped using it even though I loved the tone of it....Whatever problems I had with it are gone with this update. I spent about 6 hours yesterday and late last night using it on many many sources, and it soars.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Good to hear ... thanks Richie, as I had similar experience. I was slowly using it just for the tone ...
Now to check this update.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 am

yeah i think partly what happened with the original release was that i spent a ton of time adjusting the release so it would be just right but then after making all of those adjustments i did something else that threw those adjustments off, and kind of broke the release a bit by just putting the timings and program dependency of it out of wack. i only just noticed it a few months ago and decided i needed to fix it. i think that is where the biggest difference in the sound comes from.

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:37 am

Cupwise wrote:yeah i think partly what happened with the original release was that i spent a ton of time adjusting the release so it would be just right but then after making all of those adjustments i did something else that threw those adjustments off, and kind of broke the release a bit by just putting the timings and program dependency of it out of wack. i only just noticed it a few months ago and decided i needed to fix it. i think that is where the biggest difference in the sound comes from.
Well worth the wait (for me). I'm loving it.

garrick
User Level I
User Level I

Post by garrick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:31 am

I kinda like that no one knows exactly what the second theshold is doing, just lower than half way seems to be a sweet spot for me. Look forward to trying the update.

The super high quality programs are well worth the time to render, just make a cup of tea and it's done.

RE301

Post by RE301 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Sounds great!!

Thanks again for the update! :-)