C660 mk3 Comp/Limiter - Major new update

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- Creamy 660 Comp/Limiter set

Post by Cupwise » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 pm

if you dont have a new xml and want one you have to reinstall. i've done it several times and it's pretty quick and painless. you could install to a new folder just to get the xml.

kylen

Post by kylen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Thank you, I tried it and it seems to have worked. I only had to point the path name in the xml file back to 'c:\nebularepositorytemp' (I think thats the path). It would be very nice if Nebula had a button to restore the standard published xml settings.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:40 am

ok i just uploaded a new .zip for the demo set, which contains another demo program.

the original demo was taken from the 'comp' vector in the full set, and demo2 is from 'combo1'. for demo1 i disabled the thresh2 control, which is a sampled control from the unit, and which seems to adjust the ratio/thresh/knee all at once. so it drastically changes how the thing sounds.

i decided that having that disabled means that the demo only gives a slice of what the comps can do and sound like so i made demo2, which has that control still intact. it doesn't have dB readout like thresh1 does, it just goes from 0-100, and around 0 puts you on the 'compression' side of that control on the actual unit, while 100 is on the 'limiter' side. i think the closer to 0 you get, the 'squishier' or 'mushier' the sound gets, and it gets more open as you go towards 100. you also get less compression as you move towards 100. but i feel like most of the best uses with this thing are probably when you only use it for a couple dB of compression, for the sound it gives.

demo2 still has limitations though. it's only 1k, and the attack AND release controls are restricted to the fastest settings only. also there's no SHQ program for it like there is for demo1. i think it gives you more insight into the kinds of results these things can give your mixes though.

also within a few minutes after i post this the price is going up to what i originally planned for it to be..

Metalblast
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by Metalblast » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:25 am

fantastic idea to bring this fat bottomed MONO horse on the nebula platform :!: :!: :!:
a phenomenal boost by limiter SHQ.

Great !

greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by greekpeet » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 pm

After using the demos more so for their harmonic content prior to the stock Ableton comps I'm fairly sold on picking these up. They add a fantastic character to any vanilla plugin comp. finding new uses for both my own and clients mixes each and every day.

Great addition to the tool box, even after initially being underwhelmed with the demos.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 pm

So I've split the set up into two parts, because of a few comments I've got that the demo programs don't show off the quality of the compressors in the full set very well. It's hard to have demo programs that do that without giving too much away, so by cutting the program in half it isn't as big of a leap of faith for you to buy one part if you're a bit on the fence about it.

Individual halves/parts of the set can be bought from here:
http://www.cupwise.com/cup/nebula-relea ... s-a-and-b/

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 am

People were underwhelmed by this library? Really? It doesn't get better than this in the software world, in my opinion. If you need better than this, go buy the hardware.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:09 am

thanks rich, but that's not what i meant to say. i haven't had anyone say they didn't like the full set, just that they thought the demo programs i provided didn't do a great job of showing how good the full set actually is. if there was a way to do a time limited thing or something where the full effect could be shown, thatd be really great, but instead i'm stuck having to find ways of crippling the programs while still giving a good impression of the full library. it amounts to picking a few settings and limiting the demo to just those, and those settings may or may not resonate with someone trying the demo. it's pretty tricky to try to predict..

Andrums
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Andrums » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 am

Any plans for 88.2kHz version?

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 am

my ONLY critical comment is that ...

it's too hard to read your website ! :o
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Cupwise wrote:thanks rich, but that's not what i meant to say. i haven't had anyone say they didn't like the full set, just that they thought the demo programs i provided didn't do a great job of showing how good the full set actually is. if there was a way to do a time limited thing or something where the full effect could be shown, thatd be really great, but instead i'm stuck having to find ways of crippling the programs while still giving a good impression of the full library. it amounts to picking a few settings and limiting the demo to just those, and those settings may or may not resonate with someone trying the demo. it's pretty tricky to try to predict..
That's good to hear Tim. I would have to hop on a plane and find the people who weren't happy with this... So now I can stay home. Yay.

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Post by SWANG » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:07 am

:shock: omg! i just listened to these samples again after some months. i HAVE to own this library and will be picking it up end of this week. great work, tim!

harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Post by harmonik » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:23 am

Not sure where the split is for the new A/B packages. The manual mentions 4 vectors... to achieve Comp, Limiter, Combo1, Combo2, and Pass-Through(s) A-D. Not sure what a /2 is doing. I think I overlooked something. Or is part B just the "Alternate" programs?

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:04 am

SWANG wrote::shock: omg! i just listened to these samples again after some months. i HAVE to own this library and will be picking it up end of this week. great work, tim!
I am still blown away with this library. I never thought we would see a "fairchild" in Nebula that would also nail the actual compression.... This is awesome.

indelible
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by indelible » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:41 pm

I would like to know what are the differences between the two sets.I'm still using the very first demo program and like it so I would like to know on which set is based.