C660 mk3 Comp/Limiter - Major new update

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!

Post by Cupwise » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 pm

garrick wrote:I kinda like that no one knows exactly what the second theshold is doing, just lower than half way seems to be a sweet spot for me. Look forward to trying the update.

The super high quality programs are well worth the time to render, just make a cup of tea and it's done.
haha nice, that's exactly where i had usually been placing the 2nd thresh also!

glad you guys like this update, feel like it was a mission accomplished. :D

still have to get out the updates for the people who just bought parts A and B. it takes a bit of extra time to organize those updates and i ended up being fairly busy this past week. i'll try to get those out soon.

garrick
User Level I
User Level I

Post by garrick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:13 am

All good Tim, when it comes it comes.

cheers

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:27 am

ok i finally got around to sending out the updates to the people who bought only parts A or B of the library, back when i had it available as two separate parts. since i dont sell it that way anymore, if any of those people want to get the other half of the library, they'll have to contact me by email to request it.

Brian
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Brian » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Tim, have you updated the audio samples on the C660 page with v2 programs?
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
[email protected]

Mixing/Mastering Engineer at Sentient Sound Labs 覺知音樂工作室

Win10 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9

garrick
User Level I
User Level I

Post by garrick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:44 am

Thank you Tim.
The programs sound gorgeous

deehope
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by deehope » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:48 am

Am I doing something wrong or would you guys consider the "grab" slow on this comp? Sounds amazing though.

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Post by SWANG » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:25 am

^by "grab", you mean the attack?

deehope
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by deehope » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:47 pm

SWANG wrote:^by "grab", you mean the attack?
Sorry. Thanks for the response. Yes, the attack didn't seem to be matching the listed time. I used the ahead function and it works perfect now.

RE301

Post by RE301 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks (again & again) for the update on this one - really sounds (and works) fantastic (!) I know I've repeated myself but the C660 is just so good :-)

fastersound
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Cupwise release- C660 Comp/Limiter set - huge V2 update!!!!!

Post by fastersound » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Hey Tim, just wondering if the recommended xml tweaks for SHQ are needed if just using the passthrough? Or is it only if you are compressing?

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:11 pm

well, the tweaks are needed for the passthrough shq programs to have their full length. they are supposed to be about 80ms long, and without the tweak nebula cuts off at 50ms. i think it's really weird that those kinds of limits are in nebula by default, i don't know why that is. but it is, so to have the full length (in timed mode) the tweak is needed.

at some point i plan to update that library and the pass-through shq programs will be removed and replaced with just one program that uses the full 80ms length but with freqd. because after all these years i don't personally feel that timed mode is an improvement in and of itself anymore. and i don't really feel that it does much of anything for most preamp style programs, that makes it worth the cpu cost. it allows for faster prog rates which makes programs more responsive, but at the same time it introduces artifacts when you lower prog rates. so long story short, i feel those pass-through shq programs are kind of out-dated. if i were you i would just use the main ones for now. OR if you want you could load the main (non-shq) programs, go to the kern page, and increase their length to maximum, then go back to the main page and click save.

fastersound
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by fastersound » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:48 am

Great info, thanks Tim.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

C660 mk3 Comp/Limiter - Major new update

Post by Cupwise » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Just made a major update to this compressor. The main thing is that I've finally updated the comp programs to use the more updated methods I've been using since Flucti-Mew. I've always wanted to go back and upgrade my older (pre-flucti) comps to use this method and I've been slowly doing that (recently updated Rayphlex to mk2 for example). The big improvement out of this is that it gets rid of the issue of having high freq ringing artifacts when compressing bassy inputs (like a bassy kick drum). it does unfortunately increase CPU use a bit but that's just how it is to get a more perfect result. There's a lot of other improvements to this library including a whole new, differently sampled and programmed compressor, and SKINS by JPN.

It took me 2 months just to do these updates. Obviously that's not 2 months of constant work but a decent chunk of my free time went into it. Because of the work behind this update and because I had to pay to get the skin made, I'm not giving this update away for free like I usually do.

However, I'm only going to ask for a few dollars. Basically I would just like to get the cost of the skin covered. Anyone who bought the full library in the past, I think I'm going to be asking around $4-5. I think it will depend on what you paid since my prices have fluctuated and I might consider charging an extra dollar if you got it on sale or something. Haven't really decided yet.

I'll be sending out the emails to everyone who bought, including the update info and telling you to reply to that email with a confirmation if you want to pay to get the update. Then I'll send you another email with a coupon code where you can re-buy the library at my site, at the ~4-5 dollar update price. So if you bought the library you should be getting this email soon.
------------
Here's the full list of updates:
* The comp programs are now using the 'under the hood' programming that all of my latest comps use, which gives much better quality than the old style. It also eliminates the ringing artifacts that could be noticeable with bassy inputs. This does increase CPU use, unfortunately.

* There were originally 4 different sampled setups for the c660 compressor: 'Comp' 'Lim' and 'Combo1' and 'Combo2'. 'Comp' and 'Lim' have now been combined into one program - 'C660 A'. The combo programs were renamed to 'C660 B' and 'C660 C'.

* I made a new program out of some unused samples I've had since the original release. These were sampled with the same hardware, but being driven by a **76 rev E compressor. At the more extreme compression settings you're also getting some compression from the 76 as well. I also 'transplanted' the attack/release behavior from an entirely different compressor- my recent '4k crush' release. The result- this one is a lot different from the others, while still in some ways similar. It should really be considered a bonus which is why it's called '660 D-Special'.

* I re-rendered all of the impulses from the original recorded tone sweeps, and re-edited them using the techniques I've been using in more recent compressors.

* The program coding for the harmonics has been optimized. Also the harmonic levels have been fine tuned to be more authentic compared to the original samples I took from the hardware. This was also done for the pass-through programs.

* Weeded out a lot of impulses that just weren't really doing anything. Allows for less RAM use and faster load times.

* Lowered kern count for some of the SHQ programs. Additional kerns for more harmonics just weren't needed.

* Lowered max freq setting of the high pass filter on the internal sidechain to 500hz, down from 1khz. It's better this way.

* Replaced the old 'dry' control with a new 'wet' control. The old control simply added some dry signal back in as you increased it. It didn't lower the wet signal at the same time. So it was really unweildy to use. The new control is like a nice, typical wet/dry mixer control. You can get parallel compression much more easily now.

* All programs moved to new category inside nebula's menu- CC9 and CC4, for 96 and 44.1khz sample rates respectively. Several of my other compressors are also found in that same location, so it allows you to quickly try out different compressors with ease (if you own some of my other comps that are placed in that category).

* Comps are now using a lot more feedback in the detector than they were before, which improves authenticity.

* The attack and release were completely redone and I feel are much more accurate now.

* All of the old bonus alternate versions of the comps have been removed. They used different detector types and feedback/feedforward ratios to provide different behaviors. The problem is I couldn't fine tune them all because it would have taken forever, so I just provided them as bonuses, and many of them worked less than perfectly. So I've removed them so I can just focus on the main compressor programs.

* Look ahead max setting has been lowered down to 1.5ms from 10ms.

* Pass-through programs are using the full lengths of the impulses as intended. They weren't in the old programs. Not really a big deal. Some of these have lowered kern/harmonic counts also. They're also using a different smooth2 algo which is less intense and this should probably improve sound subtly.

* Probably other smaller things that I'm just not remembering.

* Manual largely rewritten/updated to account for above changes.

SWANG
Expert
Expert

Post by SWANG » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Woohoo! Email sent. This is great, Tim! Thanks...

plexus
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by plexus » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Purchased. Previewed.... very very nice. Finally we are getting some Nebula compressors that really work well. I didn't run it though all paces and do listening test, however I launched it with the N4 skin and gave it a try on a drum machine. It really sounds nice and the skin is great! Thanks Tim! :ugeek: