Just made a major update to this compressor. The main thing is that I've finally updated the comp programs to use the more updated methods I've been using since Flucti-Mew. I've always wanted to go back and upgrade my older (pre-flucti) comps to use this method and I've been slowly doing that (recently updated Rayphlex to mk2 for example). The big improvement out of this is that it gets rid of the issue of having high freq ringing artifacts when compressing bassy inputs (like a bassy kick drum). it does unfortunately increase CPU use a bit but that's just how it is to get a more perfect result. There's a lot of other improvements to this library including a whole new, differently sampled and programmed compressor, and SKINS by JPN.
It took me 2 months just to do these updates. Obviously that's not 2 months of constant work but a decent chunk of my free time went into it. Because of the work behind this update and because I had to pay to get the skin made, I'm not giving this update away for free like I usually do.
However, I'm only going to ask for a few dollars. Basically I would just like to get the cost of the skin covered. Anyone who bought the full library in the past, I think I'm going to be asking around $4-5. I think it will depend on what you paid since my prices have fluctuated and I might consider charging an extra dollar if you got it on sale or something. Haven't really decided yet.
I'll be sending out the emails to everyone who bought, including the update info and telling you to reply to that email with a confirmation if you want to pay to get the update. Then I'll send you another email with a coupon code where you can re-buy the library at my site, at the ~4-5 dollar update price. So if you bought the library you should be getting this email soon.
Here's the full list of updates:
* The comp programs are now using the 'under the hood' programming that all of my latest comps use, which gives much better quality than the old style. It also eliminates the ringing artifacts that could be noticeable with bassy inputs. This does increase CPU use, unfortunately.
* There were originally 4 different sampled setups for the c660 compressor: 'Comp' 'Lim' and 'Combo1' and 'Combo2'. 'Comp' and 'Lim' have now been combined into one program - 'C660 A'. The combo programs were renamed to 'C660 B' and 'C660 C'.
* I made a new program out of some unused samples I've had since the original release. These were sampled with the same hardware, but being driven by a **76 rev E compressor. At the more extreme compression settings you're also getting some compression from the 76 as well. I also 'transplanted' the attack/release behavior from an entirely different compressor- my recent '4k crush' release. The result- this one is a lot different from the others, while still in some ways similar. It should really be considered a bonus which is why it's called '660 D-Special'.
* I re-rendered all of the impulses from the original recorded tone sweeps, and re-edited them using the techniques I've been using in more recent compressors.
* The program coding for the harmonics has been optimized. Also the harmonic levels have been fine tuned to be more authentic compared to the original samples I took from the hardware. This was also done for the pass-through programs.
* Weeded out a lot of impulses that just weren't really doing anything. Allows for less RAM use and faster load times.
* Lowered kern count for some of the SHQ programs. Additional kerns for more harmonics just weren't needed.
* Lowered max freq setting of the high pass filter on the internal sidechain to 500hz, down from 1khz. It's better this way.
* Replaced the old 'dry' control with a new 'wet' control. The old control simply added some dry signal back in as you increased it. It didn't lower the wet signal at the same time. So it was really unweildy to use. The new control is like a nice, typical wet/dry mixer control. You can get parallel compression much more easily now.
* All programs moved to new category inside nebula's menu- CC9 and CC4, for 96 and 44.1khz sample rates respectively. Several of my other compressors are also found in that same location, so it allows you to quickly try out different compressors with ease (if you own some of my other comps that are placed in that category).
* Comps are now using a lot more feedback in the detector than they were before, which improves authenticity.
* The attack and release were completely redone and I feel are much more accurate now.
* All of the old bonus alternate versions of the comps have been removed. They used different detector types and feedback/feedforward ratios to provide different behaviors. The problem is I couldn't fine tune them all because it would have taken forever, so I just provided them as bonuses, and many of them worked less than perfectly. So I've removed them so I can just focus on the main compressor programs.
* Look ahead max setting has been lowered down to 1.5ms from 10ms.
* Pass-through programs are using the full lengths of the impulses as intended. They weren't in the old programs. Not really a big deal. Some of these have lowered kern/harmonic counts also. They're also using a different smooth2 algo which is less intense and this should probably improve sound subtly.
* Probably other smaller things that I'm just not remembering.
* Manual largely rewritten/updated to account for above changes.