Cupwise- Slick9k new update, 48+88.2khz

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
markgalup
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise Release- Slick 9k Compressor

Post by markgalup » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:50 am

Ok, blast from the past here but I feel this needs to be resurrected.

I recently purchased this lib from Tim and it sounds fantastic. Admittedly, it is a bit quirky in the actual design of the preset parameters - sliders/knobs, values, metering, etc. - but the sound and versatility is really fantastic, like all of Tim's libs. I'm a fan of some mixes that are done on a 9k and after reading Tim's description and listening to the samples on his website, I realized this channel comp could be part of the reason.

This comp has a fantastic high-freq accentuation when it is compressing, which is a perfect way to not lose presence in a mix when compressing. I find this comp to be a wonderful pairing with SAND on the buss, and I'm going to be using it a lot. Though it is "clean", I don't find it to sound uninteresting in any way - quite the opposite. It imparts a richness and depth that I really love. I'd say it's the ideal S*L console for me - 9k channel comps, 4k EQ and buss comp. Highly recommended.

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Mixer/MFiT-Approved Mastering Engineer
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA -> Contact me for US Discounts

emilieitor
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by emilieitor » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:47 am

Tim from Cupwise is making version 2.0 of his compressors, I hope that this comp have its 2.0 version, and smooth 609 too.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:52 pm

markgalup wrote:Ok, blast from the past here but I feel this needs to be resurrected.

I recently purchased this lib from Tim and it sounds fantastic. Admittedly, it is a bit quirky in the actual design of the preset parameters - sliders/knobs, values, metering, etc. - but the sound and versatility is really fantastic, like all of Tim's libs. I'm a....that I really love. I'd say it's the ideal S*L console for me - 9k channel comps, 4k EQ and buss comp. Highly recommended.

MG
thanks a lot mark! really glad you like the library :D
emilieitor wrote:Tim from Cupwise is making version 2.0 of his compressors, I hope that this comp have its 2.0 version, and smooth 609 too.
i'd love to be able to do this, but i'm hitting a very particular snag. what worked for the flucti may not work with my others. i'd especially like to bring 609 up to date and i already have a skin for it which i had someone do for me yeaaaars ago, for a possible acqua release that i decided against doing. so i think i'll release that skin for free eventually, for the nebula library. but i really cant promise when any of this happens, it took me quite a while to do the flucti update.

Shibata

Post by Shibata » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 pm

Love this comp, when set the RTE to 0.634 ms - really sounds like S*L 9*** and compression behavior.
Will wait ver.2.0!)

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Shibata wrote:Love this comp, when set the RTE to 0.634 ms - really sounds like S*L 9*** and compression behavior.
Will wait ver.2.0!)
Hey Shibata, what do you mean by RTE - release?

Yep, I love this comp too - it's a hidden gem :) Goes perfectly with Sand too.
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:31 pm

markgalup wrote:
Shibata wrote:Love this comp, when set the RTE to 0.634 ms - really sounds like S*L 9*** and compression behavior.
Will wait ver.2.0!)

Many of the Cupwise compressors have ahead rates enabled and adjustable.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

markgalup
Expert
Expert

Post by markgalup » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:49 am

richie43 wrote:
markgalup wrote:
Will wait ver.2.0!)

Many of the Cupwise compressors have ahead rates enabled and adjustable.
Thanks, Richie. I'm aware of the ahead rate, I just didn't remember it being labeled as such (RTE as opposed to AHEAD), but I'm guessing you're right. I'll listen to this setting tomorrow on a few mixes!

MG
Mark Galup
MarkGalup.com
ReelRecording.com

Shibata

Post by Shibata » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 am

markgalup wrote:
Will wait ver.2.0!)

Nope, RTE is the program rate and is expressed in milliseconds. It represent the period used by Nebula for recalculating all internal synthesis parameters and controls. The smaller the period, faster the synthesis engine will be, better the results. You can override the individual program setting editing a global parameter inside the MAST page.

To do it, you must first set all kernels to TIMED ( because RATE option will be fixed until kernels on FREQD) then go to prog>edit>glob>turne RATE S to ON and then set the RATE parametr to desire.

For compressors i usually sets from 0.181 ms to 0.634 ms. If you set lower settings ASIO will corrupt.

With lower RTE, Nebula rendered more precise, which mean more transients, which crucial for compressors.

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks Shibata, I had forgotten about that!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

Shibata

Post by Shibata » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:58 pm

richie43 wrote:Thanks Shibata, I had forgotten about that!
You're welcome +)

robschroeder
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by robschroeder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Shibata wrote: To do it, you must first set all kernels to TIMED ( because RATE option will be fixed until kernels on FREQD) then go to prog>edit>glob>turne RATE S to ON and then set the RATE parametr to desire.

For compressors i usually sets from 0.181 ms to 0.634 ms. If you set lower settings ASIO will corrupt.

With lower RTE, Nebula rendered more precise, which mean more transients, which crucial for compressors.
Thanks for this extraordinary hint! Really appreciated!

Shibata

Post by Shibata » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 pm

robschroeder
Glad to help ")

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Slick 9k Mk 2 - Major update, with skins!

Post by Cupwise » Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 am

In a sense this is an updated version of my 7yr old Slick 9k compressor, but it's actually a new product and was rebuilt from the ground up. The programming side of it is all new, and the impulses were rebuilt from the original tone sweeps, and re-edited (so the vectors are new too).

Max has made some really nice skins for both N3 and N4. Thanks max!!

Here's a link to the page (where you can glimpse the new skin, as well as see info about the compressor).

If you bought part A or B, or both, of the old library, you should be getting an email with an offer for an upgrade path. If you didn't get it, contact me through my contact form or directly by email.
Here are all of the major improvements in this product, over the old one:

*skins were graciously provided by Max, for both N3 and N4!!!

*everything (programs AND vectors) was re-built from the ground up. i went back to the original recorded tone sweeps (to re-render the impulses), and attack/release samples, and started over from there.

*this allowed me to hand edit every impulse, for maximum quality control, including throwing out impulses that were ‘below the noise floor’ (such as low input drive impulses for the upper harmonic orders). this brings down the total sample count without sacrificing anything. editing the impulses prevents lots of glitchy behavior.

*programs use the same basic setup as my other more recent compressors, which provides a more accurate attack (with fast settings), and removes the artifacts you could get with bassy inputs in the old programs.

*combined hard and soft knee into one release. originally they were split and sold separately. now it’s all one compressor release.

*hard knee uses peak mode while soft knee uses RMS. in the old versions, both used peak.

*added a ‘knee select’ program that allows you to transition between hard and soft knees and get settings in between. this also transitions between the peak and RMS modes, not just hard and soft knee, so it can be pretty interesting to blend between the two extremes.

*harmonics have been hugely improved, with their levels being much more accurate to the hardware (this took a lot of work).

*attack and release have been completely redone. both are far more accurate. the improved attack is probably most instantly noticeable, but the release now has some program dependence. the release timing actually adjusts depending on how much compression you’re getting. the old versions were made before i had figured out how to do this and did not have that behavior programmed in.

*got rid of all the extra versions of the programs that were in the old version. i’m talking about the ones that used various combinations of detector types and feedback amounts. those probably really just added clutter and weren’t used by most people very often. also i couldn’t test each of those programs and some of them probably behaved in strange ways. also got rid of the external sidechain programs since nebula quit allowing that at some point.

*replaced 1k, 5k, and 10k options with my lite, standard, full harmonic, and SHQ options. check out the manual to see what the differences are.

*the crappy ‘dry’ control was replaced with a ‘wet’ control. the dry control just added some dry signal in, which wasn’t very good because it would also increase the output level. the wet control actually transitions between fully dry and fully wet.

*look-ahead max setting lowered to 1.5 ms which is more than enough for instant peak limiting now that the programs are using the updated setups.

*these compressors are just so much better now, in probably every possible way. there may be other smaller changes that i’ve just forgotten to mention. everything is completely new

Shibata

Re: Slick 9k Mk 2 - Major update, with skins!

Post by Shibata » Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 am

Cupwise
This is a great release, Tim! When i tried it, I feels like a real hardware. In sound, in behavior and in the desired result.
Hats off to you!
Also, new skin awesome^^

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

new update, 48+88.2khz

Post by Cupwise » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:45 pm

another major (free) update. just sent out emails for it so if you own the library you should have got the email.

here's what's updated:
*added 48 and 88.2khz sample rates.

*impulses cleaned up to remove the subtle 'noise' that appears above 20khz in most sampled nebula programs (it's inaudible and only affects 88.2 and 96khz versions, but i removed it anyway), as well as to remove the ripple that happens in the low bass frequencies, from the SHQ versions of the compressors and the pass-through program. the other compressor programs don't have the ripple anyway.

*threshold control has been adjusted to be more accurate.

*updated manuals to reflect the changes, where needed.