Slick 9k Mk 2 - Major update, with skins!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Slick 9k Mk 2 - Major update, with skins!

Post by Cupwise » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 am

I've just finished part A of a new compressor set. Just like last time, this first part contains the hard knee compressor mode, and part B will have the soft knee mode. Part A also has a 'pass-through' program which was sampled at 1:1 ratio so there is no compression, making it like the typical preamp-style programs.

I think it came out really well.

I'm thinking on how to create a demo program that won't give away too much but will show off the abilities of the comp...

http://www.cupwise.com/cup/nebula-relea ... sor-set-a/

I should also point out that the compressor has a fully variable ratio control from 1:1 to 10:1. It also has a dry control that allows you to mix some dry signal in with the compressed, and a look-ahead control. It can be used as a limiter with fastest attack settings and some look-ahead.

EDIT-
i've just released part B. there's a post about it later in the thread, or you can just check it out here: http://www.cupwise.com/cup/nebula-relea ... et-b-soft/
Last edited by Cupwise on Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mplay

Re: Cupwise Release- Slick 9k Compressor

Post by Mplay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Nice to see you've done another compressor! Will definitely pick this up.

cpwade
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by cpwade » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks Tim! Nice! I'll have to check that out.

still getting lots of love here for the cassette collection as well.

pw

SWAN
Expert
Expert

Post by SWAN » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 pm

does that bass guitar example have some popping on it?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper

david1103
Expert
Expert

Post by david1103 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Congratulations on the new release!

I am still 'deep inside' the Rayphlex. Spent some time last night trying to get other software to punch like Rayphlex, they were pathetic in comparison!

If Slick 9k also has this ability with a different flavor it is going to be amazing :D

lipa

Post by lipa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 pm

boy oh boy! S*L is comming back to nebula.. at laaaast! I almost started thinking that S*L payed devs not to sample it.. just kiddin :P Tim please please sample the bus comp as well! Thanks 8-)

Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Post by Henry Olonga » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Good man Tim,

We can never have enough compressors that work like the Rayphlex.
Take care
H

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 pm

SWAN wrote:does that bass guitar example have some popping on it?
yes i think you're right. i hadn't noticed and probably rushed those clips a bit. i've been trying to redo it without them but i'm thinking the bass may just be too low for nebula to handle. although i have had a few ideas on trying to make bass specific comp presets with some adjustments that might work a little better for bass..

SWAN
Expert
Expert

Post by SWAN » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 am

Cupwise wrote:
SWAN wrote:does that bass guitar example have some popping on it?
yes i think you're right. i hadn't noticed and probably rushed those clips a bit. i've been trying to redo it without them but i'm thinking the bass may just be too low for nebula to handle. although i have had a few ideas on trying to make bass specific comp presets with some adjustments that might work a little better for bass..
cool - what is it do you know - that makes nebula glitch under bass conditions? Other compressor programs I have exhibit this...for electronic music kicks and other stuff it means it doesnt work so well...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:48 am

ok i've added a free community version which is fixed at 4.5:1 ratio, but i think is still pretty useful and shows off the compression well.

vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Post by vicnestE » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 am

Thank you for the trial version.
b) with this demo the attack control is limited to 50ms, and in full it goes up to 300ms.

From manual:
FST ATT – Normally the attack time is program dependent (3mS – 30mS).
What have you done to modify the attack time so flexible?

Is there soft knee mode on the hardware??
I know there's a "FST ATT" for fixed fast attack time (3mS for 20dB gain reduction).

It would be cool if the gate/expander could be sampled as well.

Raynorshyn
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by Raynorshyn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 am

Well,

I was just playing just a bit with the demo program on a drum buss, good level in, little slower attack and quick release... I was able to get some serious snap crackle pop. Like the drummer was trying to ear flick me with his stick.

...Bought!

koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Post by koda » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm

If you release compressors with the quality of Rayphlex then please release as much compressor as you can, and this world will be a better world :lol:

Things you say on nebula compressors issues with bass is a bit disturbing though... this would cut out nebula compression from all the bass-centric productions.

Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Post by Cupwise » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

koda wrote:If you release compressors with the quality of Rayphlex then please release as much compressor as you can, and this world will be a better world :lol:
i need support from 'the community' to be able to keep doing anything. that means that at least some of the people who buy something i make, need to speak up about it where people can see. if i release more comps and nobody says anything about them then i'm not going to keep doing them. simple. i'm only saying this because for the past 2+yrs that i've been doing this, i've gotten very little support from the community, relatively. i've had a small core of dedicated customers, and i've had some amazing compliments, but they are usually sent to me in private email where it doesn't help me at all. i need word of mouth like anyone else...
koda wrote: Things you say on nebula compressors issues with bass is a bit disturbing though... this would cut out nebula compression from all the bass-centric productions.
it effects really low bass mostly, and mainly if it's by itself. if there is a mix of stuff which includes low bass and other frequencies on top of it, the problem may not occur. the release control usually seems to have some effect with it. so do the smooth2 type, and prog rate (try increasing both).
vicnestE wrote: Is there soft knee mode on the hardware??
yes. on the specific hardware that i used here, there is.
vicnestE wrote: It would be cool if the gate/expander could be sampled as well.
it would, but since there is no way to have a 'hold' function in nebula, they wouldn't be accurate. the hysteresis is another thing that nebula couldn't do. there may be other, simpler gates/expanders out there without those features, and Nebula might handle those well.

SWAN
Expert
Expert

Post by SWAN » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 am

i need support from 'the community' to be able to keep doing anything. that means that at least some of the people who buy something i make, need to speak up about it where people can see. if i release more comps and nobody says anything about them then i'm not going to keep doing them. simple. i'm only saying this because for the past 2+yrs that i've been doing this, i've gotten very little support from the community, relatively. i've had a small core of dedicated customers, and i've had some amazing compliments, but they are usually sent to me in private email where it doesn't help me at all. i need word of mouth like anyone else...
Tim your stuff is cool and you seem to have skill in capturing devices but a lot of it is quirky to say the least-I mean some of it I assumed you were not doing to be the most commercial products ever...and were more personal interest projects...

the rayflex compressor everybody loved and it is now probably the most common recommended compressor for Nebula as far as I have seen around the forums...thats not bad support...I had thought you were happy and suprised by the success/interest with Rayflex and keen to follow that up with more compressors as a result...

Anyways Ive just tried the demo and think this compressor sounds excellent...for what its worth...and will do my bit to recommend it...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper