Hi guys , new to Nebula - Mastering options

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: Hi guys , new to Nebula - Mastering options

Post by ngarjuna » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:11 am

I don't think it has been mentioned yet so...

One of the major 3rd party developers is himself a mastering engineer as his primary trade. He made a special library for mastering aptly titled the Mastering Suite. I can't give you too much testimonial as I don't really master (my approach to mastering doesn't even merit discussion) but it's a Nebula library created by a great developer specifically for mastering. I do own the library and, for me, the HP filters alone were worth the purchase price, I actually used them all the time (this library preceded many of the other awesome filters that are available today).

Another viable program for your specific goal I haven't seen in the thread is the Nagra T-Audio tape library. For warming digital mixes sometimes tape is a very easy solution (and the Nebula tapes are pretty awesome). There are also good decks in the R2R library for mastering but that's a big multi-purpose library that may be overkill depending on how interested you are in tapes.

sneaky

Post by sneaky » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 am

I am looking for thick sounding / transient smoothing compression
Im probably wrong but here goes http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=3084
Try a mix of 'all-in', slow attack & moderate-low thresh so it just twitches
the best nebula compressors for mastering purposes
fate is VERY nice. i never use it. VM-Comp is delicious & use it infrequently. stick it in front of the vm-tube. or after it. 4KD I just dont like. dunno why. DME1968 sounds like expensive hardware. hardly use it. they all sound like hardware. most of it I havent learnt how to use..

If your goal is to make things sounds nicer, louder, equally excellent on all playback mechanisms, and in the context of an album, contextual: its no less difficult to do with nebula than other tools I guess. got to be cheaper though. try everything you can afford.cheers :D

ged333
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by ged333 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Hell I'd buy Neb 3 pro and all those programs now - but I am getting married in September and cannot justify another Audio purchse till after it -

But - I am very impressed with the development of this - and cannot wait to try the AlexB programs + the other 3rd party lib's

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Post by enriquesilveti » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 pm

ged333 wrote:Hell I'd buy Neb 3 pro and all those programs now - but I am getting married in September and cannot justify another Audio purchse till after it -

But - I am very impressed with the development of this - and cannot wait to try the AlexB programs + the other 3rd party lib's
PM
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (W10 1803 | OSX 10.13.6 | i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 GB SSD)
SP4 (W10 1903 | i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 GB SSD)
Digiface Dante | Lyra2 | Rednet AM2
VM U18 | VM W10 1803 | VM OSX 10.13
N4/NAT4 | SPX4 | RX7 | LN2C | SMAART8 | R5 | PT2019 | PX11 | NIK5

Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by Barendse » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:46 pm

sneaky wrote:
I am looking for thick sounding / transient smoothing compression
Im probably wrong but here goes http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=3084
Try a mix of 'all-in', slow attack & moderate-low thresh so it just twitches
the best nebula compressors for mastering purposes
fate is VERY nice. i never use it. VM-Comp is delicious & use it infrequently. stick it in front of the vm-tube. or after it. 4KD I just dont like. dunno why. DME1968 sounds like expensive hardware. hardly use it. they all sound like hardware. most of it I havent learnt how to use..

If your goal is to make things sounds nicer, louder, equally excellent on all playback mechanisms, and in the context of an album, contextual: its no less difficult to do with nebula than other tools I guess. got to be cheaper though. try everything you can afford.cheers :D
You're wrong yes.

surbitone
User Level V
User Level V

Post by surbitone » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm loving the vari-mu with s/c eq, just gently tickling, generally with a mammoth /gml / N*****n or EQP1A3S. That's the only Neb comp I use on the 2-buss or for mastering really, other than that I use either hardware or PSP Old Timer me, which is a rude plugin. I like the 1968me alot, it's does sound crazy fat, but I can imagine doing quite a few recalls using it on other peoples mixes, as it's just so coloured.

ged333
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by ged333 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Wow I just used Neb3 free with the 4K Heaven ( 2 instances! )
you can really hear the difference - I can hear that analog saturation it's really subtle with 1 instance , but with 2 it's awesome -
bye bye itb sound hahah

cps418
User Level XI
User Level XI

Post by cps418 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 pm

ged333 wrote:Wow I just used Neb3 free with the 4K Heaven ( 2 instances! )
you can really hear the difference - I can hear that analog saturation it's really subtle with 1 instance , but with 2 it's awesome -
bye bye itb sound hahah
And as I said in the beginning of this post, the main thing you'll have to do is experiment with neb pro, and a few 3rd party presets to see were you stand. I'm sure before you discovered neb you thought your mastering was the bomb, but now you can change your fuse and re lite.

faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Post by faun2500 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:34 am

Just want to add - Really, really liking the new MWD. Haven't used it on a master yet but i expect it's going to be very good!
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!

ged333
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by ged333 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:35 pm

[quote="cps418 And as I said in the beginning of this post, the main thing you'll have to do is experiment with neb pro, and a few 3rd party presets to see were you stand. I'm sure before you discovered neb you thought your mastering was the bomb, but now you can change your fuse and re lite.[/quote]

Not really - I thought my masters before were decent enough but in no way would I say I was Overjoyed by them.

HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Post by HIFIDELITY » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 am

Hi.ged333. Just wanted to let you know, because of some financial issues i am forced to sell my Nebula 3 pro+Some exellent libraries! everythings been cleared with Giancarlo and the Library Developers. I have some great mastering EQs like the massive passive and a very famous German Mastering EQ just to mention a few! So if your intrested let me know and im sure we can come to a great deal for the both of us! PM me if you can or just post here. Kind Regards Jay

richie43
Expert
Expert

Post by richie43 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:30 am

Yo HIFIDELITY. I just PM-ed you. Sorry to hear about your continuing troubles. Post what you have for sale and this community will help you out pretty quickly I bet. Peace.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/

ged333
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by ged333 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:15 pm

HIFIDELITY wrote:Hi.ged333. Just wanted to let you know, because of some financial issues i am forced to sell my Nebula 3 pro+Some exellent libraries! everythings been cleared with Giancarlo and the Library Developers. I have some great mastering EQs like the massive passive and a very famous German Mastering EQ just to mention a few! So if your intrested let me know and im sure we can come to a great deal for the both of us! PM me if you can or just post here. Kind Regards Jay

Thanks Jay - unfortunately I can't afford it at the moment but thanks very much for your offer mate