In memoriam of Nebula 3

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
emilieitor
User Level XI
User Level XI

In memoriam of Nebula 3

Post by emilieitor » Mon May 04, 2020 8:00 am

Hello everyone

What can I say about the new policy of software companies of this new planned obsolescence regarding their products, and these instalations / validations of products via the internet by an online manager that is quite a trick for them to decide when to stop using the favorite software you bought, which will not always be, according to them. Before this perspective did not exist. Here I have my box with the Waves plugin cd and its serial, it is already years old, I could install it on my computer in its day, I can do it now, and I can do it when I feel like it.

But this is already a form of the past, the new times change, and this way of looking at music software has meant that it has been a long time since I have been able to use Nebula 3 on my computer.

What can I tell you about Nebula 3: when I tried it for the first time it blew my mind, it changed my life completely. It was my primary work tool in everything, mixing, mastering, etc ... It was the hope of music software, the future, that brought true OTB sound closer to our computers, and its creator brought this technology at the service of all to an incredible economic price, that man was my hero, everything seemed fascinating to me, and a very beautiful community of people was formed who contributed things in a disinterested way around it, in fact I dedicated a guide to the use of Nebula 3 in a forum of internet that counted 150 word pages and took me more than 120 hours to do it, all selflessly.

I have never seen this at any time in my life around any musical software.

Over time I decided to buy a fortune in libraries, I may have 90% of the total catalog of thir-parties, and I'm not lying. Nebula 3 was my main music production work tool, it was indispensable to me.

Over the years I decided to buy a more powerful computer, with more CPU, more RAM, to use Nebula 3 to the fullest. It was worth a fortune to me. Installed everything, I am going to validate Nebula 3, and what do I find? Well, to someone from AA who sent me a two-line shit email telling me that I won't be able to use Nebula 3 the rest of my life.

I was stupid, he said to me: what now? This cannot be, man, is it so difficult for you to develop a personalized Nebula 3 serial for each consumer so that they can continue using the software? And don't tell me to buy Nebula 4 in two years I will find the same thing again.

And this is the situation I have experienced. It is no longer about money, but about people's illusions. You never forget the people who accompanied you at the beginning when you were nothing and were always in bad times.

And stop bragging about free updates of your Acqua products if you are going to stop allowing users to use them whenever you want and that day may be tomorrow if you feel like it, as it may have happened to me.

I hope you do not delete this post because I believe that as a consumer I have the right to criticize what you do and the direction the company is taking, leaving people in this cold and cruel way, it is not normal.

Best regards

trickster
User Level V
User Level V

Re: In memoriam of Nebula 3

Post by trickster » Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 am

Hi Emilieitor,

Yup, well said! I've been thinking the same thing for some time now. I have been coming to terms with the fact that I will need to update my rig and Nebula3 will no longer be a part of my life (after being an early adopter and supporting AA efforts whenever I can justify it). I try to comfort myself with the new developments in the ITB space but none compare to nebula in it's original form.

Sorely missed will be the work of 3rd party developers like Tim Petherick who, despite being innovators, seem to have been left cold by the development plan for Nebula.

I could go on for some time about how disappointing and predictable the whole affair is but life is too short.

RIP Nebula 3.

Trickstar

kuchini
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by kuchini » Tue May 05, 2020 6:11 pm

I have to completely agree,

I have 2 unused licenses for Nebula3 Pro and recently reached out to support to allow me to utilize those licenses after reading through the forums that the website gives a 500 error when sending the .SER.

I got the same 2 line response that said too bad and upgrade to N4. However no loyalty upgrade discount for unused licenses or supporting them for years, no budging to allow licenses to be used because the software has become obsolete simply because I was out of the loop.

As a customer, I feel completely thrown out and discarded.

pablo1980
User Level VII
User Level VII

Post by pablo1980 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:53 pm

Yes, N3 to N4 policy has left a sour taste for lots of people, and being the flagship product, I don´t think N4 gets the same attention that acqua gets, we haven´t seen lot of improvement and new functions in a while.

Benjaminjo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by Benjaminjo » Thu May 07, 2020 8:21 pm

This is unacceptable! Same thing, Nebula 3 pro user here (from Nebula 2 times) with LOTS of 3rd parties libraries. Im in a middle of work involving a lot of Nebulas, with clients in my studio and Acustica says BYE BYE. After all the money I've spent, after all the free pubblicity after I defended this company when everyone was laughing. This is how you treat your most loyal customers? And you know Nebula 3 was working fine until I tried N4 player that screwed my license. And now its 400 euros? What is this an indian scam site?

Benjaminjo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Post by Benjaminjo » Sun May 10, 2020 10:55 am

I want to point out that if you have the installer and the init files (which holds the license) the plugin will continue to work. In my case something renamed my init to init(1). After renaming the file all went back to normal.

Hope it helps
cheers

Debutante
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Debutante » Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 pm

Firstly - I'm NOT mad, at all. Just curious...

Yes the program will work. I have the licenses still in my account. N3 still works very well - BUUUUUT! - if you install ANYTHING with Aquarius, it seems it deletes the N3 installation.

I only this weekend completed my move to 64 bit :twisted: 8-), very happily, got all plugins in, then installed N3 - worked like a charm. I then used Aquarius to install only Sand and TAN and my N3 installation was deleted. So I installed N4, and my full Acustica library, but it looks very small. All libraries are not showing. There's no way I download some 6-8 gigs and end up with what I have in my preset finder... eg, there's 7 reverb downloads in the Aquarius library, but I only have 4 - (4) presets showing. 4 in total!!

So I either: Use N4 with severely limited libraries + ACQUA... OR ... forgo N4, lose ACQUA, and get my old functionality back. Not easy.

I was under the impression that N4 was compatible with older presets. All Henry Olonga's stuff works, for example. I'm not sure what the direction is here, just looking for some vector. I could just use 3rd party + Nebula 3 since most devices are covered elsewhere. I'm missing the previously stellar (on my system, at least) performance of N3 - it's like XP at this point. :mrgreen:

Debutante
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Debutante » Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 pm

OK... small update - maybe we CAN have our cake...

After installing N4 and libraries and all, I have now RE-installed N3 - only I have given it it's very own very very separate installation; meaning they are not in contact at all. The N4 repository, programs, vectors et al, are in one folder and N3 repository... are in another. They will not share library space or anything else. This seems to work at least for now. Time and usage will tell if it's safe to do so, but at least for now everything loads up and ALL my old libraries :twisted: are functional. No I have to figure why the commercial N4 library is not working. And for the devs, it has never worked for me.

So if you try this, simply make each installation completely unique.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Thu May 14, 2020 1:06 am

Nebula-3 abd N4 REQUIRE separate installation Locations [C:\nebulatemprepository C:\Nebula4TempRepository]

If you want N4 to use your Nebula Library .... COPY them to the N4 location.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Debutante
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Debutante » Thu May 14, 2020 2:11 am

...the REPOSITORY - Yes, but not the installation folder. Initially I had N3 installed, and when I bought N4, I put its repository in the SAME folder - so that "nebularepository" and "nebula4repository" were both in the same general Acustica folder. Why? because N4 was supposed to be compatible, so I had it share N3 presets as an alternative data path. This is what I mean by separate. They shouldn't even do that. No touchy touchy at all.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Thu May 14, 2020 2:16 am

Debutante wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:11 am
...the REPOSITORY - Yes, but not the installation folder. Initially I had N3 installed, and when I bought N4, I put its repository in the SAME folder - so that "nebularepository" and "nebula4repository" were both in the same general Acustica folder. Why? because N4 was supposed to be compatible, so I had it share N3 presets as an alternative data path. This is what I mean by separate. They shouldn't even do that. No touchy touchy at all.
That is not my understanding during our time in the beta-forum.

As nice as it would have been to SHARE repositories ... beta was instructed to maintain 2 repositories proper. Doing so has never been an issue for my setup of old Nebula-3 Server, and N4.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Debutante
User Level II
User Level II

Post by Debutante » Fri May 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Aha!! Those of us who were NOT in "beta forum" have to figure this out for ourselves. So it seems its all good, just dont use the default installation path for whatever you install last, and you're good to go.

mgrammatica
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by mgrammatica » Fri May 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Sorry can i just confirm, can we use our old Nebula 3 libraries in Nebula 4 ? Is there any sonic improvement in doing so ?

Also could someone fill me in, i've been away from music for years, and i have a Nebula 3 Pro license. Is there an upgrade path to Nebula 4 ? Whats new in Nebula 4 ?

Any help is most appreciated.

wavemantra
User Level I
User Level I

Post by wavemantra » Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 pm

N4 is now at 80% discount price AND you can use loyalty vouchers as well.
Super happy camper right here!

peternaddeo
User Level 0
User Level 0

Post by peternaddeo » Thu May 28, 2020 9:29 pm

So just to clarify, if I still have a copy of my INIT files and the Nebula 3 Pro installer, will I be able to install a copy of Nebula 3 Pro onto a new computer? I'm currently using an ancient laptop and will need to buy a new one soon, so I am wondering if I will be able to install Nebula 3 Pro on the new computer or will I be cut off from all of my Nebula based music projects forever?