adding 3rd party nebula programs for N4: can I make subfolders in the programs folder to keep it organized?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level IX
User Level IX

adding 3rd party nebula programs for N4: can I make subfolders in the programs folder to keep it organized?

Post by Acusticaaudiouser33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi,

When adding 3rd party nebula programs for N4: can I make subfolders in the programs, skins and other folders to keep it organized?

Thanks in advance!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Re: adding 3rd party nebula programs for N4: can I make subfolders in the programs folder to keep it organized?

Post by RJHollins » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:53 pm

I use the 'AlternativeDataPath' folder that has folders for all the 3rd Party Devs for Programs and Vectors.

Just need to add the Path in N4 XML

I don;t know about re-organizing Skins and such
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]

Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: adding 3rd party nebula programs for N4: can I make subfolders in the programs folder to keep it organized?

Post by Acusticaaudiouser33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm

RJHollins wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:53 pm
I use the 'AlternativeDataPath' folder that has folders for all the 3rd Party Devs for Programs and Vectors.

Thanks for your help!
1) Well, I tried pointing N4 from within the N4 VST2 plugin/settings to the set up alternative path folder I named 'NalternativeF'. (I hope this will also make respective changes to the N4.xlm file in my VST folder, right?)

2) In 'NalternativeF' folder I put directly as a test balloon TimP's J37 tape folders: vectors, programs… and for a try also the skins (n4) folder and properties folder.

3) I then restarted the daw and reloaded n4 and checked the finder: no J37 programs listed :(

4) I then went into the n4.xml file itself and as I didn't find an alternativeDatapath entry or line I then added a line myself: <ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> NALTERNATIVEF </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
Is this correct or should it look different? (my NalternativeF folder is on same folderlevel as the N4TempRepository folder)
Anyway: no success again :(

I must be doing something wrong as you are successful.

regards

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Acusticaaudiouser33 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm
RJHollins wrote:

Thanks for your help!
1) Well, I tried pointing N4 from within the N4 VST2 plugin/settings to the set up alternative path folder I named 'NalternativeF'. (I hope this will also make respective changes to the N4.xlm file in my VST folder, right?)

2) In 'NalternativeF' folder I put directly as a test balloon TimP's J37 tape folders: vectors, programs… and for a try also the skins (n4) folder and properties folder.

3) I then restarted the daw and reloaded n4 and checked the finder: no J37 programs listed :(

4) I then went into the n4.xml file itself and as I didn't find an alternativeDatapath entry or line I then added a line myself: <ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> NALTERNATIVEF </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
Is this correct or should it look different? (my NalternativeF folder is on same folderlevel as the N4TempRepository folder)
Anyway: no success again :(

I must be doing something wrong as you are successful.

regards
Here is a snippet of my N4 XML showing the proper way to define Alternative paths. [the 1st line just shows where I have mine placed in the XML.
<DICTIONARYROMNAME> Rom.xml </DICTIONARYROMNAME>

<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/ACUSTICAAUDIO/CPCLV5/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/ALEXB/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/ANALOGINTHEBOX/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/CDSOUNDMASTER/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/CUPWISEFX/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/DIBIQUADRO/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/GEMINIAUDIO/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/GENELENNON/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/GEORGIEVSOUND/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/HENRYOLONGA/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/KALTHALLEN/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/LARSRETSCHI/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/OTHERS/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/OWNHAMMER/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/ROOMHUNTERS/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/SIGNALTONOIZE/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/SOUNDDROPS/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/TIMPETHERICK/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/TONEBUILDER/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/TRANSCENDINGMUSIC/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/VNXT/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
detail and accuracy are paramount ... so compare carefully.
Hope this helps.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Acusticaaudiouser33 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 am

RJHollins wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm
RJHollins wrote:

Thanks for your help!
Here is a snippet of my N4 XML showing the proper way to define Alternative paths. [the 1st line just shows where I have mine placed in the XML.
<DICTIONARYROMNAME> Rom.xml </DICTIONARYROMNAME>

<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH> C:/NEBULA4TEMPREPOSITORY/ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH/ACUSTICAAUDIO/CPCLV5/ </ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>
detail and accuracy are paramount ... so compare carefully.
Hope this helps.
Yes, this does help … many thanks! I will give it a try tomorrow.

I will also try and see what happens if also put the 3rd party properties and skins folders in those created alternative data paths. This would leave the default AA N4 folders untouched.

Just curious: Has it actually been benefitial for you to create/make use of alternative data paths in the long run... or would you say: just chuck them into the default folders?

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:27 am

I don't think the SKIN & Properties files/folders can get an alternative path. At least not that I've ever heard or discussed
in the beta-test forum.

As for using the Alt Paths ... with around 6000 Presets in my archive, the use of the Alt Path has generally help keep a sense
of organization. [especially in the early days of transitioning from Neb-3 to N-4].

note: I don't think there is any performance enhancement using Alt Paths. Mostly just gives users a choice. The TEMP folder content is still created regardless.

Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Acusticaaudiouser33 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm

RJHollins wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:27 am
I don't think the SKIN & Properties files/folders can get an alternative path. At least not that I've ever heard or discussed
in the beta-test forum.

As for using the Alt Paths ... with around 6000 Presets in my archive, the use of the Alt Path has generally help keep a sense
of organization. [especially in the early days of transitioning from Neb-3 to N-4].

note: I don't think there is any performance enhancement using Alt Paths. Mostly just gives users a choice. The TEMP folder content is still created regardless.
thanks for taking the time to reply!
I understand that there is no performance enhancement.
My question was more aimed at the 'issue' that the alternative path probably won't accept Skin and Properties folders. That means I can stick those 3rd party programs and vectors in a seperate location and keep things tidy … but the properties and skin folders (and temp folder: what is this one doing?) of the main root folder will get 'messed' up anyway. Just thinking out loud: why then bother about the programs and vectors folders anyway if I can't keep things tidy/seperated all the way. I hope you can follow my train of thought … I'm still trying to make up my mind if this limited tidiness makes any sense at all.
regards

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Post by RJHollins » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm
RJHollins wrote:
in the beta-test forum.

My question was more aimed at the 'issue' that the alternative path probably won't accept Skin and Properties folders. That means I can stick those 3rd party programs and vectors in a seperate location and keep things tidy … but the properties and skin folders (and temp folder: what is this one doing?) of the main root folder will get 'messed' up anyway. Just thinking out loud: why then bother about the programs and vectors folders anyway if I can't keep things tidy/seperated all the way. I hope you can follow my train of thought … I'm still trying to make up my mind if this limited tidiness makes any sense at all.
regards
I follow.

Maybe SKINS, and their PROPERTIES Folders may get a 'User organizable' re-look ... yet at the same time, N4 is looking for a specific path location to access per Preset. This has to happen in real-time, so being able to move things around may slow performance [?]

The TEMP folder is the 'Central Database' that Neb-3/N-4 builds when first initializing.

N-4 can 'look' in many PATHS to source Programs/Vectors, and then build a TEMP of all those Preset. You may have notice that the initial 'build' takes time ... but subsequently will load faster.

These procedures developed as things evolved.

aside: these are my perceptions. The actual coding and principles may have other determinants.

To the ALT PATHS ... I use them for all the main 3rd Party Dev stuff. Other misc go in the 'general' location.

I've never been fully organized ... but it gives me a goal :|

Acusticaaudiouser33
User Level IX
User Level IX

Post by Acusticaaudiouser33 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:40 pm

RJHollins wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm
RJHollins wrote:
in the beta-test forum.

regards
I follow.

Maybe SKINS, and their PROPERTIES Folders may get a 'User organizable' re-look ... yet at the same time, N4 is looking for a specific path location to access per Preset. This has to happen in real-time, so being able to move things around may slow performance [?]

The TEMP folder is the 'Central Database' that Neb-3/N-4 builds when first initializing.

N-4 can 'look' in many PATHS to source Programs/Vectors, and then build a TEMP of all those Preset. You may have notice that the initial 'build' takes time ... but subsequently will load faster.

These procedures developed as things evolved.

aside: these are my perceptions. The actual coding and principles may have other determinants.

To the ALT PATHS ... I use them for all the main 3rd Party Dev stuff. Other misc go in the 'general' location.

I've never been fully organized ... but it gives me a goal :|
Thanks for the explanations and assessments!
I will try to add the alternaticedatapath XML line in the way you did it and see how it feels to be 'half organized' : o )
Many thanks for all your input!
regards