Engaging Mono-L and Stereo Modes in Nebula

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support
woodnut
User Level I
User Level I

Post by woodnut » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Could anyone please advise me on the Mono-L and Stereo Modes in Nebula. I have read a bit on the Acustica forum, including the notes about the EVF (envelope follower) but I'm still a bit unsure.

The N4 manual says "Push this button for toggle between mono and stereo mode. Please note that the mono mode does not mean you will drop the stereo information, it means that Nebula will only process both left and right channels using mono kernels, it operates as if you were using the same ideal channel for all your stereo tracks, processing them separately. Enable this feature for equalisers or filters, especially if you are using them for mastering."

As far as I can tell the nebula EVF processes in mono, so an instance of an N4 library will process things dynamically the same in both channels when placed on a stereo track.

If for example I am using Tim P's Opto 3a on a stereo bus and I change the mode from mono-L (as it is as standard) to stereo, what, if anything, have I changed in the operation of this N4 instance?

I appreciate it may be better to use two instances of Opto 3a and use Reaper's internal routing to process these but I wanted to get a better understanding of the difference between stereo and mono-L. From the manual statement perhaps stereo mode should not be used for compressor instances such as opto 3a on a stereo track.

many thanks in advance!

abuzaynab
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Engaging Mono-L and Stereo Modes in Nebula

Post by abuzaynab » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:40 pm

woodnut wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 pm
As far as I can tell the nebula EVF processes in mono, so an instance of an N4 library will process things dynamically the same in both channels when placed on a stereo track.
As far as i am aware your understanding is correct, but i couldn't elaborate on it. I don't know about Reaper, but in Logic Pro i use a Dual Mono version of N4, load an instance on the left and then the right and then "couple" them. It means that each channel will have it's own instance. Rather than use 2 tracks and two instances this is a little easier to deal with. Some folk use Meta Plugin to do the same thing.

Also, i found this on the AA Facebook page:

Making 3rd party Nebula Mono presets:
Most of the presets are in stereo and even if you add to mono track, it’s still processing that mono track in stereo. Here’s how you can switch the presets from stereo to mono.
Note > MONO-L is stereo and STEREO is mono.
From Tim Petherick: This is they way I use it but I’m sure many people just leave it as stereo (MONO-L showing) at all times. You’ll get more focus on mono tracks (STEREO showing).
1. Launch N4 and select your preset. If you’re preset comes with skin, click “EDIT” (top right) button and will be presented with the default N4 GUI. Click KERN.
2. Click MONO-L and it will switch to STEREO (making it mono), save or save it to Presets without having to override the original file.

I'm not sure if this will help, but i hope so.

best wishes
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 13.33.09.png

abuzaynab
User Level IX
User Level IX

Re: Engaging Mono-L and Stereo Modes in Nebula

Post by abuzaynab » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Whilst trying to find out more about Tim P's El Enhancer i found this page, it has so comments that may be of use? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28794&hilit=EL+ENHANCER

woodnut
User Level I
User Level I

Post by woodnut » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Hey thanks for this its really useful.

I did spot that some Tim P comps and EQs are already in stereo mode (showing mono-L on the button) and some are in mono mode as standard.

So from reading that info from the facebook group, instances on a mono track might sound better focused if I switch any stereo mode EQ or comps to mono.
I shall have to try this.

For anyone else who might see this in the future here is the quote from the El Enhancer page :

"I sampled in (El Enhancer) stereo (stereo in/out) the frequency balance is slightly different from L-R. This can give a wider sound. in stereo mode you'll see mono-l in the kern page
In mono-l mode you'll see stereo in the kern page. As in you push to select that mode. Mono-l mode uses just the left channels sample to process."

Additionally, Tim P replied to my original posted question on GS and said :

"Hi, It won’t make a difference changing that parameter for this comp as it was a single unit sampled and yes nebula’s evf affects both LR equally. For dual mono effect you will need to route two instances, one per side."